Is DVD-RAM dead?

Thanks to the fact that its only advantage over DVD+/-RW - the durable cartridge - is hardly ever used now? I always thoguht this was a great idea for protecting the disc, like with MiniDiscs. In my opinion, it’s a shame the cartridge is practically gone with DVD-RAM & Blu-ray Discs (especially these, as there will be at least 23 GB on these discs). So what happens when you get a scratch on a DVD-RAM and/or BD? Is hundreds or thousands of MB affected thanks to lack of protection?

Don’t tell me about it. :rolleyes:

I think the cartridge was a great feature. I’m pissed off that due to commercial considerations (price probably, mainly for compliant drives) it has been removed.

Even worse for blue-ray.

I’m among those who are willing to pay more for extra quality and protection, but we’re too few for the industry to care about us. :a

When they implement 16x Ram ,RW discs will be extinct.

Thanks to the fact that its only advantage over DVD+/-RW - the durable cartridge

You might want to do a little more research on the RAM format. The advantages are many.
RAM is actually becoming more popular than ever, expect to see many more RAM burners.

I agree, 16x Ram discs will be more popular than any format if the price is right.

DVD-RAM is way superior to other formats. Once you’ve tried writing data to a RAM disc it make the other formats seem almost ridiculous with their reliance on formatting, erasing and “burning” using special software. At present only the lack of speed is a annoyance.

The reason the cartridge was introduced in the first place was due to the fact that the earlier discs had a high risk of getting scratched. A hard coating material was later introduced, which allowed the DVD-RAM manufacturers to do away with the cartridge.

It is a similar story with blu-ray. An early problem was that although the SL version had a higher data capacity than HD-DVD, the discs were highly prone to scratches. Some kind of hard coat material was later developed for it which is apparently very tough. I think claims were made that deliberately scratching the coated discs with a sharp object failed to produce any scratches.

Claims. If it translates in real-world, I’ll be happy, but we’ve heard so many claims (DVDRs will last 100 years! ;)) that I’m very skeptical. :bigsmile:

Scratches are a problem, no doubt. But not so much as fingerprints, dirt and hair. RAM discs must be handled very carefully.

DVD-RAM disc is too expensive.

It’s the price around the price of 5 pcs of -RW in my country.

HD got much cheaper average cost also (~4 times cheaper in case of a new SATA150/NCQ 16M 232GB 3.5" HD).

Good point! :slight_smile:

+RW ftw, you can burn / reburn, play in most dvd players with no need for new hardware. -RAM on it’s own might be good, but since it needs it’s own hardware pretty much, and not all dvd burners support it, it lacks the convenience of +RW (and even -RW a bit)

Of course you need a compatible drive to use dvd-ram, but I would not call that a lack of convenience. You either buy/own one or you don’t.
As for playing in standalones, this is simply a matter of media choice. I use dvd-ram to archive documents, dvd-/+rw to watch tv-recordings on my standalone, and dvd+/-r for movies that I want to keep. All with one LG writer. :slight_smile:

Ram is superior in error correcting/checking algorithms…making it best ‘OPTICAL’ media for data archiving. This also slows read-write times significantly.

Take the good with the bad. I definitely feel better about having important data on Ram than RW media.

Virtually all of the major optical drive manufacturers have either released, or have announced new models with DVD-RAM support. Eventually, everyone is going to end up with a DVD-RAM capable drive. So I don’t think that is going to be a problem.

OK. The 5x speed isn’t much of a problem for me and I am aware that these discs do function like MiniDiscs in that they don’t need to be formatted before use, and should be great for TV recording (so you can edit the material to your liking, like getting rid of adverts).

But my question now is: If DVD-RAM is so great, why do we have another two rewritable DVD formats (+RW & -RW)? Wasn’t DVD-RAM out first, by the way?

It probably had more to do with cost of production and distribution. Cartridge-protected DVD-RAM disks were very expensive. In Seoul, the lowest price for 5.2GB DVD-RAM media was US$60. Cost of adding cartridge must have been negligible.

According to Philips and others that supported DVD+RW, DVD+RW seemed much easier to produce and at a much lower cost. Also more scalable than DVD-RAM. For DVD+RW, the starting speed was 2.4x, which was soon upgraded to 4x, and then to 6x, and then 8x. Many DVD-RAM writer drives from Matsushita, Hitachi, Samsung, etc. introduced years ago had 2x. Latest drives supporting DVD-RAM still support only up to 5x.

I doubt there are many people who use lots of DVD-RW media.

I saw a marketing graph a few months ago that showed DVD-RAM was going to outsell all other RW formats by Q2 next year. As far as I can see the future is very healthy for DVD-RAM.

I hope it is. Any possibility for us current DVD-writer users whether a firmware update would at least allow reading of the discs? I would love to just drag & drop my files onto what performs like a small removable disk.

PS: I believe the 5x speed limit for DVD-RAM right now is because it verifies what you put on it in real-time, as you add it. This is a very good thing. This is much like when you encode music to FLAC (lossless) format, where it runs a parallel decoder as you’re encoding, to ensure that what goes in, is what will come out later.