Is DVD protected?

Hi, was just wondering if anyone could help me plz?..
I’ve just bought a box set of BBC wildlife DVD’s, the problem is they play fine on any standalone dvd player but I cat get them to play on my PC. Im using win xp & power dvd/win dvd, but I cant even view the contents of the disc with windows explorer. I dont want to rip it, well not at the moment, I’d just like to watch it. Does anyone know whether they may be protected in some way & if so if theres any way to view them? Ive tried many other origional movies that I’ve bought and they still all play with no problems, so I dont think it’s my drive.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dusty.

well, in a way it could be the drive, as it may not be able to recognise that particular type of media for some reason. what make/model of dvd drive is it ? is a firmware update available ? can you view the DVDs in another drive on another PC ?

The Drive shows up in device manager as a ‘LG DVD-ROM DRD8160B’, I’ve never upgraded the firmware so it’s pretty as it shipped. I’ll try the dvd’s on a friends pc tomorrow, I only received dilevery of them today.

Cheers,

Dusty.

P.S thx for your swift reply :slight_smile:

Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:00 pm LG/HLDS/Goldstar DRD-8160B
LG DRD8160B (16X/48X) - 1.01 / 1.01 (2002/11/26 Firmware)
-A new version 1.01 RPC-1 (2002/11/26 firmware) is available. Patched by Etna
-A patched RPC-1 firmware is available on Gradius page.
-If you do not want to flash your drive, you can reset indefinitively the region code counter with an utility called RPCMAN available here. A Macintosh version pf this utility is also available. By XVI
RPC-2

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=1&manufactor=16