Is drive dead or not?

I’m volunteering to help some folks in an office with their computer. I’m trying to troubleshoot the CD ROM that came with it. It’s a DELL computer and I believe an HP drive.

It played back a disc that had an exe install on it, so it booted up right away when I inserted it in the tray but I could not get it to read a CD-RW that I had put some software on. In fact, when I opened the drive in My Computer, it did not even show any files on the disc at all.

I briefly talked to the DELL people who claim that the problem must be Windows (It’s running XP). They say if it played one type of disc that it’s not the drive, but I’m not sure I agree. Can a CD ROM be bad even if it plays one type of disc but not another?

Hi,[QUOTE=janlafata;2310712]I’m trying to troubleshoot the CD ROM that came with it. It’s a DELL computer and I believe an HP drive.[/quote]I seriously doubt, Dell ships HP branded drives with their computers :wink:

It played back a disc that had an exe install on it, so it booted up right away when I inserted it in the tray but I could not get it to read a CD-RW that I had put some software on. In fact, when I opened the drive in My Computer, it did not even show any files on the disc at all.
So, the problem is only present with a certain disc?
Then I guess, there is a problem with that disc.
Could be just a bad burn or bad media. It could also be a problem with multisession (the disc has been used like a big Floppy using Packet Writing Software).

See if you can access that disc on another computer at first.

Michael