Is corsair memory any good?

I was looking to overclock a thunderbird and I read somewhere that I should buy cas 2 memory. I found some corsair memory does anybody know if it is any good. Is $100 a good price for 512mb?

Originally posted by mr.b21
I was looking to overclock a thunderbird and I read somewhere that I should buy cas 2 memory. I found some corsair memory does anybody know if it is any good. Is $100 a good price for 512mb?

You might want to try some of the techie boards for that info. Specifically an AMD board. Try AMDzone.com, really knowledgable people over there. Not sure if the price is good or not. 256 MB SDR Crucial was in the $40 range not too long ago. Was it PC 133, PC 2100 or what? If you decide to go to a techie board, make sure you know what your system specs are. That way you can get some good advice. And whatever advice you do get, just make sure you triple-check it.

Ed

Have no experiance with Corsair mem. What I do know is that if it has a brandname like Corsair, it’s mostlikely it will perform better then no-name. But no garanties! :stuck_out_tongue:
I can remember a test of different memory brands a month or 2 ago, and the conclusion was that the brands aren’t always the best. Also no-name performed ok! (but, not all) Running @ CAS2 will let your mem run @ less cycles; it will be faster. I don’t mean your FSB with “running faster”!!
But if you really would notice the difference with CAS3 or 2; don’t think so! :smiley: But, it is quicker, yes.

just a note to say that a lot of memory comes from the same people…

there are 2 sorts,

1. “originals” - ie samsung chips on samsung boards
  2. “seconds” - ie sasung chips on 3rd party boards…

you’ll find if you look at a hardware compat list on say www.supermicro.com that the chips are all the same - and if you look a little closer you will find that the corsair ram is Micron memory on 3rd party boards, and Micron make their own “originals” distributed through www.crucial.com which you would proably be better going for… unfortunately crucial aren’t doing 51Mb dimms at the moment in DDR…(if that’s what you’re after!!!)

hope that helps - not confuses…