Is copy protection dead on arrival?

vbimport

I just posted the article Is copy protection dead on arrival?.

Again CD Freaks is mentioned in a article on CNet, again about SafeAudio, the anti ripping technology by Macrovision. Our article seems to become more and more populair

Macrovision however does…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/2280-Is-copy-protection-dead-on-arrival.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/2280-Is-copy-protection-dead-on-arrival.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Mmmm… when will CDFreaks be seen on TV ? :4

Record labels plan copy-proof CDs in post-Napster age By Adam Pasick NEW YORK, Aug 7 (Reuters) - The music industry is escalating its crusade against Napster-style music swapping with a plan to place stringent controls on compact discs – including, perhaps, the one you bought last week. Some of the world’s major record labels – Vivendi Universal’s Universal Music, Sony Corp.‘s Sony Music, AOL Time Warner Inc.‘s (NYSE:AOL - news) Warner Music, EMI Group Plc (quote from Yahoo! UK & Ireland: EMI.L), and Bertelsmann AG’s BMG – are already running quiet field tests of CDs that cannot be copied, or ripped,'' to a personal computer. Using technology from companies such as Sunnyvale, California-based Macrovision Corp (NasdaqNM:MVSN - news) and privately held Israeli firm Midbar Technologies, the labels hope to staunch the flow of CD-to-MP3 copies that made the file-trading service Napster possible in the first place. MP3 is a compression format that shrinks CD tracks to a more manageable size and is a popular medium for trading music online. Despite the record labels' hopes that copy-protection will protect them from the countless Napster offshoots, Jupiter analyst Aram Sinnreich said that flawless copy-protection is unlikely any time soon, and that even a workable system will trigger a backlash.Consumers are going to run screaming from these kinds of solutions,’’ he said. This could be much more of a PR hazard for (record labels) than Napster ever was.'' HOW IT WORKS Although the specific details of the copy-protection schemes are closely guarded, in broad terms the technology exploits the difference between the standard used by consumer CD players, known as RedBook, and the standards used for CD drives in personal computers, known as YellowBook and OrangeBook.What we do is a modification to the way the CD is placed on the disk that confuses the (computer’s) drive,’’ said Eyal Shavit, Midbar’s vice president for research and development. The company said it is working with at least one of the major record labels in field tests. Computer CD drives are much more sensitive than normal CD players, which are designed to ignore small errors from scratches, jolts and dust. So by adding small errors, CDs are rendered unrippable and in theory normal listening is unimpaired. Macrovision and Midbar both said their systems easily passed golden ears'' tests, in which trained audiophiles attempt to discern an audible difference between protected and unprotected CDs. WHAT CAN GO WRONG In practice, there are hundreds of different CD players on the market, so there is always a chance that a law-abiding consumer will insert a CD and hit play only to hear digital gobbledygook. A European field trial of 130,000 protected CDs conducted two years ago by BMG and Midbar ended in failure, after about 3 percent of users couldn't listen to the CDs they purchased. Midbar says it has fixed the problem and can now achievenear-100 percent playability.’’ Macrovision President and Chief Operating Officer Bill Krepick said his company’s copy protection scheme is being used in hundreds of thousands of CDs now on the market without any complaints, but that it's impossible to get to 100 percent.'' He said a best-case scenario would result in about 99.6 percent or 99.7 percent playability, leaving thousands of consumers with unusable discs. FAIR USE VIOLATION? The potential problems for copy-protected CDs don't stop there, according to intellectual property attorney Bobby Rosenblaum of Greenberg, Traurig.There’s a doctrine called copyright misuse,’’ he said. A lawsuit could be brought by an individual or class claiming these (copy-protection) technologies are defeating their fair use rights.'' For example, owners of digital audio players routinely rip their own CDs so they can listen to them in MP3 form, but such a practice would come to an abrupt halt if copy protection were successful. BMG Senior Vice President Sami Valkonen said his company may have a partial solution. It plans to include two versions of every song on a CD -- one unrippable track for listening, and one digital file to transfer to the computer. The digital files would not be MP3s, but rather a format like Microsoft's Windows Media Audio, which incorporates digital rights management to prevent unlimited copying. CRACKING THE CODE And then there are the hackers. Any attempt by record labels to lock up their content is sure to send programmers searching for the key -- if only for the challenge of breaking the copy-protection scheme. A article on the Web site cdfreaks.com (http://www.cdfreaks.com) claims to have already broken the Macrovision CD copy-protection scheme known as SafeAudio.I’ve never seen a industry that is so keen on money and tries in any way to protect it’s (sic) products so desperately,’’ the author of the article, DoMiN8ToR,'' wrote.Since they have stopped Napster they are disliked by more and more people, but they don’t seem to care.’’ Krepick said he could not confirm or deny any specific attempts to crack his company’s system. He did say that copy-protection would likely become a cat-and-mouse game between hackers and the companies that make the systems. However, anyone who attempts to subvert a copy-protected CD may face jail time under the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA. Now that we've passed the DMCA and we have these copyright restrictions, the copyright holders can wrap any restrictions they can dream up around their works, and anyone who bypasses them violates the law,'' said Robin Gross, a staff attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation.It’s a very scary world.’’ Tuesday August 7, 12:55 pm Eastern Time http://finance.yahoo.com/mp/q?mvsn

I recommend that you visit your proctologist. There is no hoax, why should Macrovision disclose which cd’s are protected. I just pray that they actually bring suit against a idiotic site like this that actually encourages breaking laws. Do you fathom intellectual property idiots?

<b>Copy Protection Broken? Posted by Anonymous Hero on Sat Aug 4th, 2001 05:58:07 AM , Articles A 27-July report on MacroVision’s new CD-protection system SafeAudio claims success reading SafeAudio “protected” CDs using an alternative version of the Win9x CD-ROM driver CDFS.VXD (download) released by South African programmer cyber7 in 1999. Don’t know if it’s actually true, since no one seems to be able to give me the name of the copy-protected CD(s) that have been successfully ripped. If anyone can give me a title that they know is protected, I’ll be happy to try replacing the file with an older version on the computer just to see. Story in The Register. Update [2001-8-4 5:57:0 by jeremy]: Further news of CD cracking (specifically BMG’s SafeAudio-protected disc of Puur by Dutch band Volumia) on cdfreaks.com. Read More… (2 comments, 149 words in body) http://www.infoanarchy.org/

Actually, since they stopped napster they are respected more and more and actually sales have increased for music labels since napster was basically rendered useless. Get your facts straight.

Hey idiot “sales have increased” since napster shut down. Prove it! I want to see proof of this statement. From the numbers we are getting sales are flat and falling since napster shut down. And not only that there is no promise that sales will increase in the future. The figures we get show that certain groups of listeners, sales have increased, hip-hop and certain classical artist. But these increases will not make up for the overall falling and flat sales of CD’s. So Get your facts straight fuckhead.

cd_freaks_are_idiots, CD Freaks has never said that we have hacked or cracked the protection, the media makes it’s own interpretation, I even read somewhere that we produce CD-R drives, well we don’t. Our purpose is not to hack/crack protections, our goal is to find a legal way to bypass a protection so we can create a legal backup of a CD or in this case, rip a CD to convert it to MP3. There are also legal reasons to rip a CD into MP3, e.g. if you have a portable MP3 player what else can you do if you want to listen to your favorite CD ? Download it from the internet ?

I ripped “O Brother Where Art Thou?” some time ago and it sounds fine. No copy-protection :slight_smile:

Can we get an IP that was logged for the user calling himself : cd_freaks_are_idiots ? :slight_smile:

I luv this site and check it everyday as it contains news and information that I find quite useful and important in my lifestyle. And for some jerk to just come in and say this site is crap and place blame for things that they have no clue on is just wrong. May CD Freaks live on forever!

Short of requiring that all CD players be replaced with new versions that implement some hardware protection, there is no scheme that will ever be able to prevent ripping of CDs. Just use a decent audio player with optical out and a soundcard with optical input to defeat any of these schemes. Interleaving any such rubbish scheme with the audio track will only serve to further errode the credibility of record companies that already pride themselves on selling abysmal material that lacks any merit (ie. the crap that is current popular music) purely on the basis of marketing for fear that they will soon be unneccessary in an age of digital distribution.

Hey, CD_FREAKS_ARE_IDIOT, CD Freaks does in no way encourage piracy, they only bring us news on CD technology. Get your facts straight fuckhead.

Hey Idiot… You, my friend, are a fuckhead.

The person with the name cd_freaks_are_idiots is a fuckhead and needs to get his head examined. CD freaks has not broken the law - haven’t you heard of freedom of speech ?

Domin8tor must be an unequivocal retard…the word bypassing is inherently illegal you moron. YOu are bypassing copyright protrction that is ILLEGAL…WHAT DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND…if there were a legal way to copyright it…the labels would not be trying out SafeAudio… You make the most obtuse argument I have ever seen. Were you beaten stupid as a child. A legal way to bypass ahahahaha…next you will be promulgating a legal way to murder someone…completely laughable but I expect nothing less from an idiot who suffers from moral turpitude

telling people how to bypass COPYRIGHT PROTECTED MATERIAL TO COPY IT …IS ILLEGAL WHAT DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND??? Because people can not police themselves record labels are now going to the heavy hitter of the industry…Macrovision to stopall the idiots from ripping off the artists In addition, Billboard a month ago ran a huge article on how sales have increased since the shut down of Naptster in ALL AREAS of music . SOme music sales up nearly 15 percent.

freedom of speech does not protect people who tell someone how to commit an illegal act. You will find out soon. Trust me on this.

Actually this website is getting ripped hard in the outer circles and is absolutely being mocked for its stupidity. :slight_smile:

Okay … although everyone’s allowed to have their own opinion (even you), I’ll quote the article: “The potential problems for copy-protected CDs don’t stop there, according to intellectual property attorney Bobby Rosenblaum of Greenberg, Traurig. There's a doctrine called copyright misuse,'' he said.A lawsuit could be brought by an individual or class claiming these (copy-protection) technologies are defeating their fair use rights.’’ For example, owners of digital audio players routinely rip their own CDs so they can listen to them in MP3 form, but such a practice would come to an abrupt halt if copy protection were successful.” We have a RIGHT to make a copy of something we OWN. Whether or not someone wants to turn around and put that MP3 up for grabs using a file sharing service is a completely separate issue. In our case, my husband was in radio for 15 years … so we have a vinal collection that almost rivals Cusak’s in “High Fidelity.” If I want a digial copy of an album that I legally own, I have no moral issues with logging in and downloading those files. The bottom line … not everybody is out to use this new technology just to screw the record companies. Although after spending years paying $18 for a CD that turns out to be mostly garbage, this whole file sharing “revolution” is arguably justified.