Is changing the booktype to DVD-ROM always advisable?

I’ve only just stumbled across the concept of changing the booktype of DVD video backups to DVD-ROM for greater compatibility in standalone players. However I was under the impression that this is only really of benefit if you intend viewing the backup in older players.

Is this true and is there not much point in changing the booktype for compatibility with modern players, or should the default book-type for DVD video backups be DVD-ROM in all cases?

If so, is this true for data DVDs as well, or should the booktype of the media be left alone in this case?

If DVD-ROM is the best option in all cases what is the point of using DVD-R/+R at all? Is there an advantage in setting the booktype DVD-R/+R instead of DVD-ROM in some cases?

Sorry about the machine gun questions! Any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard carnivalist. :iagree: :clap:
Yes you’re right that it does seem a bit OTT these days.
However some have found that bitsetting still has an effect in some cases with the ‘modern’ standalone. Although more marginal.
With players of old the + media just didn’t play.
Nowadays bitsetting can cure the ocassional blocking etc. If you don’t get this (& quality media should mean you don’t), then there is no gain.

You set the booktype for Dvd+R or Dvd+R DL to Dvd-Rom, which is the profile of a commercial Dvd, not Dvd-R.

Booktyping serves one purpose, to deal with players which will “choke” on a booktype of DVD+R or DVD+R DL, but which actually have no problem reading the media.

I guess you could booktype a Data DVD, but I’ve never heard of any common DVD-ROM that needed it.

Thanks for that. I guess essentially there’s no point then.

I did try changing the booktype for my Lite-on SHW 1635 in DVD Decrypter and again after installing ImgBurn and something confusing has happened.

The disc burned in DVD decrypter gives a resulting DVD which is ImgBurn identified as a book type of DVD-ROM as you would expect. However after ensuring that the booktype was still DVD-ROM for a subsequent burn in ImgBurn, ImgBurn gives the booktype of the burned DVD as DVD+R. However DVD Identifier gives the booktype as DVD-ROM.

???

Hi :slight_smile:
You do realise the Lite-On has it own booktyping tool.
See [B]here:[/B]

In the right hand window of ImgBurn, did you read all of the info after you burned? Please copy & paste all of the info in the right hand window of ImgBurn regarding that disc in a reply post here.

Oops! I’ve just noticed that one of the sections entitled “Physical Format Information (ADIP)” lists the book type as DVD+R and the next one down entitled “Physical Format Information (Last recorded)” Gives the booktype as DVD-ROM. I’m guessing that this last one is the one I should be looking at - since Nero CD/DVD Speed confirms the new booktype as DVD-ROM. I’d be interested to know what ImgBurn is telling me - just out of curiosity - if some one has time to waste on this.

I’ve learnt one lesson though - never post if you’re p**sed (In the UK, not the US sense of the word). After being teetotal since January 31 2006, I’ve just necked a can of Tennent’s Super (9%) Lager. Hopefully at least some of you will sympathise!

Anyway, here’s the info you asked for bb (“What does it all mean”?)

LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-1635S YS0Z (USB)
Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 2,202,048
Size: 4,509,794,304 bytes
Time: 489:22:48 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: MCC-004-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: MCC-004-00
Book Type: DVD-ROM
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,398,655
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

PS: Are there actually any [I]disadvantages[/I] to changing the booktype from DVD+R to DVD-ROM?

The Matshita Combo drive in my old HP laptop from 2001 would read DVD-ROM and DVD-R media, but no other DVD media unless bitset to BookType DVD-ROM; by using bitsetting, even a DVD+RW could be read by that drive.

I have heard of a few DVD players that can play DVD+R when not bitset to DVD-ROM, but choke when booktype is set to DVD-ROM. I haven’t experienced that myself, and if true such examples are definitely in the minority.

Thanks for that.

Who are you hiding from by the way? The word “backwater” makes me hope that it’s not one of those “Deliverance” types. (If you ever hear a banjo in the distance, my advice is to run very fast indeed. :eek: )