Is CD-R better than DVD+R for data quality and longevity?

vbimport

Hi

Is CD-R better than DVD+R for data quality and/or longevity please? I vaguely remember reading this last year some time, but am only just getting started with DVD recording and can’t find the info source.

I have a lot of Office files and the like to archive and could fit all onto a handful of CD-R, so there would be no logistical issues for me in preferring CD-R over DVD+R. I bought a DVD recorder purely to archive photos.

My drive is a Plextor PX-755UF and the media I have are Verbatim MIT/CMC 16x DVD+R and Verbatim MIJ 52x CD-R.

I appreciate any advice :slight_smile:

[B]2020:[/B]

Did you read the replies to this thread you started in the newbie section?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=209259

Yes, and sorry for not replying sooner. I missed this in the email swamp.

Anyway, I’ve re-read the replies and don’t understand what you are pointing to. I can’t see anyone make any mention of comparison between DVD+R and CD-R, and can’t find any conclusion on the same in the linked to (eg NIST) documents.

What am I missing please :confused: ?

[B]2020:[/B]

Myabe it would be best for you to become more familar with the technical & technological background of optical media before you read the NIST documentation. These whitepapers by Memorex are a very good introduction to technical information about both CD & DVD recordable media. They should be quite understandable I hope :slight_smile:

http://www.memorex.com/downloads/whitepapers/WhitePaper_Lifetime_Expectations_Optical_Discs_Mar06.pdf
http://www.memorex.com/downloads/whitepapers/WhitePaper_Optical_Media_Dec06.pdf

The CD-R and DVD+R you have are both very good. No one knows how long they will all truly last but the stability of those two media are said to be very good.

I would not worry about the DVD+R not lasting, it should last a very long time. Verbatim have always been good quality discs.

I recently purchased some of thesse: http://www.pcx.com.au/products/detail.asp?&item=907 I have not received them yet but they are scratch proof. They generally are much much harder to scratch. Unlike with other dvd media where you can simply wipe on your shirt and make multiple tiny scratches, this media is immune to that.

I have tried some TDK scratch proof discs and also imation (fujifilm03) and they are both quite resistant. Add to the fact that these Verbatim 8x -R are said to be one of the most compatible discs around, it’s hard to go wrong with them. Long term stability is also said to be quite solid.

So perhaps you should consider using scratch proof DVDs for both your office files and photos, since both are probably important to you and should be protected.

Just so you know, DVD is way stronger than CD-R when it comes to getting wrecked. CD-Rs can have their data layer wiped right off if something sharp hits the label side of the disc. DVDs data layer is stored between two layers of plastic, making it almost impossible to wreck the data layer.

Many thanks TLO and cd pirate :wink: .

Yes, the only physical issue I could think of with CDs was the fragility of the non-playing surface, which would tend to push me toward DVDs. I think thats probably a very important point.

The other thing I vaguely remember is some mention of greater tracking difficulties with DVDs due to the higher data density, but …

hopefully I will find all of this in the Memorex papers :slight_smile:

All the best!

I found these to be very interesting reading. From what I understand from the second paper, DVD+RW has significant advantages over DVD-RW. Does this hold up in testing particularly with Pioneer drives that I think tend to provide more support for the [-] format? I also found it interesting that they seem to say that paper labels are not good. Thoughts on this?

Avoid labels!!
They may warp the surface of your disc and make it unreadable.

The +/- doesn’t make a difference anymore, nowadays.
DVD+RW formally supports random write (known from DVD-RAM), but it is not supported at all in reality.