Is burning dvd's bad for comp?

vbimport

sorry kind of a lame question, but my girlfriend got it in her head that burning dvd’s on her lap top could be bad for her computer. she just got a new dell inspiron 1525 and her mom (who isnt computer savy at all) said burning dvd’s could probably be bad for her computer or dvd drive or something. is that true at all? she uses the any_dvd and clone_dvd programs. anyway i told her i would try to make sure just incase. so any accurate response would be appreciated :]

Hi inoahlot2 and welcome to cdfreaks,

Hahaha,
Not laughing at you…just thinking about you trying to convince your girlfriend’s mother. Good luck with that!:eek:

In a word, no.
Look at it this way…a dvd burner is made to “burn” or play dvds…I mean that’s what it was manufactured to do.
Likewise with the pc.
It’s kind of like asking, is it bad to vacuum the floor with a vacuum cleaner?..I mean it might wear it out.

I have about 12 burners…about 4 of 'em are retired as they are getting a bit obsolete. I’ve never had one crap out and I don’t want to guess how many hours they have on them. Honestly, most quality burners will give years of solid performance. Believe me, most of us work our pcs and burners pretty hard and they hold up just fine…:wink:

No it won’t hurt the computer. It is designed to do it. The only issue that could adversely effect a laptop is heat and burning does produce additional heat, but then again, so can reading disks in your dvd drive, playing the latest games, anything cpu intensive etc. In theory, the manufacture should have designed it to deal with the heat, but in practice, sometimes not enough. If the computer gets hot to the touch, consider a laptop cooler. Also never put the laptop on a bed, blanket or anything else that could block the vents.

Outside of heat (which just about everything in the computer generates), burning disks will cause no harm to a laptop at all.

Ok, couldn’t resist on this one:

Depends on what you use to burn…if it is real fire, it sure is bad for your computer :wink:

Sulfuric acid burns aren’t too good for a computer either. Don’t burn dvd’s with sulfuric acid in your computer!!!

All devices with the time will deteriorate, and also computers will not last forever, but the burning process itself will not shorten the computer life :slight_smile:

The most probable candidate to become damaged if you burn too much discs is the burner itself, but you can use some simple rules to improve the burner life.

Basically, avoid to burn when environmental temperature is too hot, give the drive some time to cool between burnings, don’t burn too many discs at once, and so on :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=maineman;2108180]Hahaha,
Not laughing at you…just thinking about you trying to convince your girlfriend’s mother. [B]Good luck with that![/B]:eek:[/quote]
LOL! I agree with that :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2108257]Ok, couldn’t resist on this one:

Depends on what you use to burn…if it is real fire, it sure is bad for your computer ;)[/QUOTE]

LMAO

[quote=ripit;2108182]No it won’t hurt the computer. It is designed to do it. The only issue that could adversely effect a laptop is heat and burning does produce additional heat, but then again, so can reading disks in your dvd drive, playing the latest games, anything cpu intensive etc. In theory, the manufacture should have designed it to deal with the heat, but in practice, sometimes not enough. If the computer gets hot to the touch, consider a laptop cooler. Also never put the laptop on a bed, blanket or anything else that could block the vents.

Outside of heat (which just about everything in the computer generates), burning disks will cause no harm to a laptop at all.[/quote]

Very true about the heating up. I bought a laptop stand for mine. Its metal mesh and lifts the laptop a couple inches off whatever surface you have it on. Really helps to keep it cool.

[QUOTE=hax0rth0r;2108376]Very true about the heating up. I bought a laptop stand for mine. Its metal mesh and lifts the laptop a couple inches off whatever surface you have it on. Really helps to keep it cool.[/QUOTE]

Hehe yeah I told Albert to buy one one those wire mesh cake cooling racks…he did and it works! :bigsmile:

Depends on what you use to burn…if it is real fire, it sure is bad for your computer ;)[/QUOTE]
And…hair will start growing on the palms of your hands.
Which reminds me, I need not forget my laser hair removal treatment on the morrow. :wink:

INO,
Your girlfriend’s mom sounds like my sister. She thinks that just
loging on to the internet[with protection on her computer] will
crash it right away. My advice send her a cd from JOHN SHEAR[I think is his name?] on how to use a computer.
Enjoy ZAP.

Oh man, that’s a great idea. I wouldn’t have thought of that. I think I paid like ten bucks for mine. Not bad really. You can adjust the angle and it has a cord organizer (that I don’t use lol)

should I use one of those propain torches, or just ignite some magnesium flakes on top of the drive?