Is Blu-ray worth it?

vbimport

Has any one else given up buying Blu-ray discs? It seems that the amount of decent film/movies available on Blu-ray is not worth the extra over a DVD that my kit up scales to a very reasonable quality. I’ve also made the mistake of buying older releases and found the quality appalling.
As for making backups of DVD’s, I really cant see the point. I will say this for the blue discs, they are tough compared with a DVD. I cant cope with 3D as I always get a migraine after a few minutes of watching. The Blu-ray blanks are still far to expensive and it seems have a limited life span.
So now it will only be the very occasional very special film/movie that I would buy on Blu-ray, otherwise it will be DVD every time.
Am I the only one ?

Are you content with dvd? Then don’t do Blu-Ray.

You need to replace your old dvd player? Get a Blu-Ray player. It can play dvd’s as well and the occasional Blu-Ray disc can get played as well.

My advice: Go with your own flow of upgrading when it’s easy to do so. If you don’t need Blu-Ray then you don’t need it. But when you upgrade just ask yourself if it’s worth the extra $20 to use newer technology instead of replacing it with old one.

Perhaps I should have elaborated a bit more. I have an OPPO BDP 93 Blue ray player which as you may know is very good at playing Blu-ray and DVD. I also think you may have misread my post Mr. Belvedere, as it does seem obvious I already have a BD player.
What I am saying is I’m actually disappointed with BD because of the cost and the fairly small very quick to get used to better picture quality and was asking if any one else felt the same. BTW I am also watching it on a 55" Samsung TV. I was hoping to start a discussion, I was not asking for advice, but thanks for the reply all the same. :slight_smile:

Vox, I echo your sentiments, if not experience. I have two uses for optical disks…

One, we have (no kidding) ten thousand DVDs, just about every classic film we can find, plus occasional from-TV recordings for classics that aren’t available. We buy from around the world, always in search of “finally finishing our collection of movies”. Which obviously won’t end.

BluRays barely address a few hundred of our classic films. “Why bother? They can’t remaster video-quality much beyond what’s there…”

The so-called bonus features can often be revisionist histories, too, almost never include still-living principals, and certainly don’t benefit those folks who probably could use the money. Why should I support rip-off studios? They offend me.

Two, data backups. BluRays hold more and would be a smaller collection of archives to maintain, but the HD-BluRay battle was a clear reminder that “new tech is coming and old tech will be useless.”

CD seems to be solid and “compatible”. DVD seems to be holding this. Any assurance that BluRay in 2030 will still be readable?

“No more than CD or DVD.”

Exactly.

We have hard-drive storage systems that are far more portable and quicker to bcakup, restore and migrate. Our archival needs therefore are lessoned by this technology.

Your question remains, and I know it by heart.

If BD blanks were priced at a reasonable value, then I’d still question “immediate and future compatibility”.

Hi ChristineBCW, I agree with all those sentiments.
I store the “special” (to me) DVDs on hard drive, as the original discs are so easily damaged. I’m so clumsy the disc’s were getting a very short life. as for backing up, well that’s easy, but takes up even more space. Backing up BD isn’t so easy and as we know expensive, but as I said they are tougher. I have a collection of about 700 DVDs, nothing like the size of your magnificent library and as you say very few of these older classic movies are available on BD. Even when they are, the quality is poor. BD seems to show up the imperfections of the older movies and less effort seems to go in to the remastering, this is a bit odd as the DVD versions are usually very good. It may be the above statement about BD showing it warts and all ?

Sony has been on my S… list for years and the less money I can stop them getting the better. Yes rip of studios are offensive.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2655317]Perhaps I should have elaborated a bit more. I have an OPPO BDP 93 Blue ray player which as you may know is very good at playing Blu-ray and DVD.

I also think you may have misread my post Mr. Belvedere, as it does seem obvious I already have a BD player.[/quote] Oh, apologies. Was doing 3 things at the same times. Tends to make a man confused :slight_smile:

What I am saying is I’m actually disappointed with BD because of the cost and the fairly small very quick to get used to better picture quality and was asking if any one else felt the same. BTW I am also watching it on a 55" Samsung TV. I was hoping to start a discussion, I was not asking for advice, but thanks for the reply all the same. :slight_smile:

Well yeah, you quickly get used to new standards. Nothing new.

When i bought my Wii or Xbox it took me about ten minutes to not be impressed anymore. It’s been pretty much the same with HD quality screens :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2655326]One, we have (no kidding) ten thousand DVDs, just about every classic film we can find, plus occasional from-TV recordings for classics that aren’t available. We buy from around the world, always in search of “finally finishing our collection of movies”. Which obviously won’t end.
[/QUOTE]

Just for curiosity’s sake, do you have any old Czechoslovakian or Slovakian movies in your collection?

Pepst, no, but I’d love to find a penpal who has interests there. I have some great Croatian kids’ cartoons and both kids are pretty slick in Croatian - enough for us to buy more lesson-tapes. We hope to sail the Adriatic one summer, and go overland the next. Or vice versa.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2655306]Has any one else given up buying Blu-ray discs? It seems that the amount of decent film/movies available on Blu-ray is not worth the extra over a DVD that my kit up scales to a very reasonable quality. I’ve also made the mistake of buying older releases and found the quality appalling.
As for making backups of DVD’s, I really cant see the point. I will say this for the blue discs, they are tough compared with a DVD. I cant cope with 3D as I always get a migraine after a few minutes of watching. The Blu-ray blanks are still far to expensive and it seems have a limited life span.
So now it will only be the very occasional very special film/movie that I would buy on Blu-ray, otherwise it will be DVD every time.
Am I the only one ?[/QUOTE]

I am picky on my blu-ray and I only buy them at bargain prices (ie $10 or less). One of the things I do to avoid getting ripped off on blu-ray is to visit, www.highdefdigest.com They review blu-ray titles and include a star rating for picture quality. 3-3.5 stars is a marginal increase over DVD, 4 stars is a decent improvement and 4.5-5 stars means it leaves the DVD in the dust. They have pretty much been bang on for everything I have rented or purchased with their assessment of picture quality. So in some cases, yes blu-ray is worth the extra price over an up converted DVD, but not in all cases. Research first, buy on the cheap and then blu-ray will be worth it. Oh yeah and 3D at this point is an overpriced waste.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2655306]Has any one else given up buying Blu-ray discs? It seems that the amount of decent film/movies available on Blu-ray is not worth the extra over a DVD that my kit up scales to a very reasonable quality. I’ve also made the mistake of buying older releases and found the quality appalling.

Yes. Picture quality matters to me. The reason for making backups is so that you can watch those and the original doesn’t get worn out/damaged.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2655306]So now it will only be the very occasional very special film/movie that I would buy on Blu-ray, otherwise it will be DVD every time.
Yes, and No. I stopped buying DVD’s 2 years ago.

But then again, I only buy blurays that I really want, and it’s typically for action movies.

I watch movies/TV so I can turn my brain off.

There is a clear Picture Quality difference between (well mastered) DVD’s and Blurays, unless you are completely blind, or are working with a crappy old TV that doesn’t support HDCP and so all your blurays are scaled down to 480p, or are silly enough to be using analogue output (composite/S-VHS or component video), rather than a digital transmission method HDMI/DVI/Displayport :stuck_out_tongue:

I say yes the PQ is way better.

[QUOTE=Dr. Who;2656440]I say yes the PQ is way better.[/QUOTE]

I agree absolutely. :iagree:

It’s like night and day and if the difference isn’t that dramatic then you either haven’t got the right equipment or it hasn’t been configured properly.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I love blu ray its an awesome format

I prefer some low 4k now. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Wombler;2656589]I agree absolutely. :iagree:

It’s like night and day and if the difference isn’t that dramatic then you either haven’t got the right equipment or it hasn’t been configured properly.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. There are truly some horribly mastered blu-rays (ie Kiss of the Dragon, The Final Countdown) where it makes no sense to have blu-ray.