Is BD-RE less than 25 GB (23.3 GiB)?

vbimport

For checking my edited movies I used to burn them on BD-RE first. This week I finished a rather long one (114 minutes including menus etc.) and carefully calculated the bitrate to make it fit on the BD-RE disk but to my surprise it didn’t.

When I checked the BD-RE disk with VSO Inspector and with Windows, a disk capacity of 22.6 instead of 23.3 was reported. When I checked a blank BD-R disk it indeed appeared to be 23.3.

Is there a capacity difference between BD-R and BD-RE? Or is there a difference in this case because the RE disk has been initialised and used and the R disk is blank?

Lou

Both disks are Verbatim ones.

I just burnt a Verbatim BD-R disk. The capacity before the burn was 23.3 GiB and after the burn it still was 23.3.

So, it looks as if the capacity of a BD-RE disk is indeed smaller, at least the capacity of the ones I use.

Lou

[QUOTE=Lou van Wijhe;2184621]I just burnt a Verbatim BD-R disk. The capacity before the burn was 23.3 GiB and after the burn it still was 23.3.

So, it looks as if the capacity of a BD-RE disk is indeed smaller, at least the capacity of the ones I use.

Lou[/QUOTE]

I will check it up. But if I’m right BD-RE is slightly smaller. But also my mind suggests that the difference should be smaller as what you posted. SO I really need to look at it later this week.

I was just using AVCHD coder, which will automatically fit to the most popular disc sizes, and noticed that it would not fit on a BD-RE when I selected the standard BD-R 25GB. So it got me thinking, either the capacity constant was incorrectly entered into the program - which I thought unlikely give it has been around for a long time and gets frequent updates - or perhaps BD-RE capacity was really less. I have not had a chance to test with BD-R, but from what I am reading this may indeed be true.

if your using imageburn to format your bd-re:

in the write tab of the setting…check on the right side in the middle of the tab that preferred format without spare areas is checked.

i was told by a friend that unchecked it will use like 100 megs for something else. i cannot confirm this so if this isnt correct… my apologies

[QUOTE=m00sehead;2511371]if your using imageburn to format your bd-re:

in the write tab of the setting…check on the right side in the middle of the tab that preferred format without spare areas is checked.[/QUOTE]

This resulted in a BD-RE that could not even be read by, let alone play at all on, my BD-RE compatible standalone Blu-Ray player. A format with spare areas is required for playability on that particular player.

i dont know what to tell you but ive always had that checked and have not encountered any problems. ive done this on multiple ridata sl be-re and tdk dl be-re

btw my standalone player is a sony bdp-s500 using the latest firmware 5.10

[QUOTE=m00sehead;2511376]i dont know what to tell you but ive always had that checked and have not encountered any problems. ive done this on multiple ridata sl be-re and tdk dl be-re

btw my standalone player is a sony bdp-s500 using the latest firmware 5.10[/QUOTE]

I used both Sony and Verbatim BD-REs. And I have a newer Sony Blu-Ray player, a BDP-S550 with the most recent firmware. (The BDP-S500 is actually older than the BDP-S550.) However, I have not tried playing back the BD-RE since I updated the firmware (I tried it on slightly older firmware).

My LG BH08LS20 burner may also be partly to blame: It formatted BD-RE discs “without spare areas” that are not compliant with the video BD spec (which means that the only player which can even recognize such a formatted disc is the BD burner that originally wrote on the disc). But again, that was before I updated the firmware of the burner.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2511746]I used both Sony and Verbatim BD-REs. And I have a newer Sony Blu-Ray player, a BDP-S550 with the most recent firmware. (The BDP-S500 is actually older than the BDP-S550.) However, I have not tried playing back the BD-RE since I updated the firmware (I tried it on slightly older firmware).

My LG BH08LS20 burner may also be partly to blame: It formatted BD-RE discs “without spare areas” that are not compliant with the video BD spec (which means that the only player which can even recognize such a formatted disc is the BD burner that originally wrote on the disc). But again, that was before I updated the firmware of the burner.[/QUOTE]

well that seems to be the difference here. my burner is pio 203 with 1.10 firmware.

but getting back to the OP. its this formatting with spare area that may be the reason why he only has 23.3 gigs on a disk

[QUOTE=m00sehead;2511371]if your using imageburn to format your bd-re:

in the write tab of the setting…check on the right side in the middle of the tab that preferred format without spare areas is checked.

i was told by a friend that unchecked it will use like 100 megs for something else. i cannot confirm this so if this isnt correct… my apologies[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=RJL65;2511374]This resulted in a BD-RE that could not even be read by, let alone play at all on, my BD-RE compatible standalone Blu-Ray player. A format with spare areas is required for playability on that particular player.[/QUOTE]

An update on this:

It did work (as far as playing back BD-REs that had been formatted as described in the first quote is concerned) - as long as I keep the firmware of my BDP-S550 updated. Unfortunately, the most recent firmware update for that player is more than eight months old now, and some commercial BDs still refused to play on that player.

My Panasonic bd-10a plays BD-RE just fine as long as the disk is any good and yes they are a bit smaller then 25 GB in actuality.
The way they actually calculate the size and disk overhead probably has a lot to do with it.
Your hard drive is never quite as big as they claim becuase of the games they play with the format size and the way they calculate the bytes.
Most programs will let you set a custom disk size so just set it to whatever size you know actually works and you should be fine.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2529751]My Panasonic bd-10a plays BD-RE just fine as long as the disk is any good and yes they are a bit smaller then 25 GB in actuality.
The way they actually calculate the size and disk overhead probably has a lot to do with it.
Your hard drive is never quite as big as they claim becuase of the games they play with the format size and the way they calculate the bytes.[/QUOTE]

Yes, DVD and BD media and hard drive manufacturers advertise their capacities in billions or trillions of bytes (base 10). Thus, a “25 GB” BD-R or BD-RE holds roughly 25 billion bytes.