Is anyDVD the best solution?

vbimport

Okay, I downloaded anyDVD and have been using it with nero. It works as advertised (ie can backup movies that nero previously gave the boot). I don’t really want to be scouting around for software everytime I want to rip a dvd to my htpc.

Is anyDVD the best solution for this or is there a shareware rip tool that would do the trick? I am not making copy dvd’s, just rip’n them to the hdd.

Sorry if this has been covered. A search pretty much brings up every person who is trying to copy specific titles.

I use AnyDVD with CloneDVD2 & never have a problem.CloneDVD2 rips well to the HD.I know AnyDVD has a ripper but I’ve never used it.

anydvd is a great choice for an HTPC.
if you watch movies with subtitles click on Video DVD then on Subtitles and then set the Subtitle Transparency to what you like.
Anydvd is more than a decrypter

[QUOTE=dsb1829;2021783]Okay, I downloaded anyDVD and have been using it with nero. It works as advertised (ie can backup movies that nero previously gave the boot). I don’t really want to be scouting around for software everytime I want to rip a dvd to my htpc.

Is anyDVD the best solution for this or is there a shareware rip tool that would do the trick? I am not making copy dvd’s, just rip’n them to the hdd.

Sorry if this has been covered. A search pretty much brings up every person who is trying to copy specific titles.[/QUOTE]
Dvd decrypt (old , but works), Dvd Shrink, and to burn, ImgBurn, all free.

dvdfab decrypter is for free and is able riping your dvd to your hdd. You’ll find more info in our dvdfab forum. Thread moved ot copy dvd movie forum.

[QUOTE=kalas;2021804]dvdfab decrypter is for free and is able riping your dvd to your hdd. You’ll find more info in our dvdfab forum. Thread moved ot copy dvd movie forum.[/QUOTE]
Your right, even better. I forgot DVD FAB had a freebie, I’ve been using Platinum for about a year, great program. I would think the free version is as good as you can get for nada.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2021808]Your right, even better. I forgot DVD FAB had a freebie, I’ve been using Platinum for about a year, great program. I would think the free version is as good as you can get for nada.[/QUOTE]

But remember it only does DVD9 to DVD9 for the dvdfab free version so you will need to buy DL media unlike DVDFab Plat. paid version you can go either DVD5 or DVD9 format.

[QUOTE=cholla;2021786]I use AnyDVD with CloneDVD2 & never have a problem.CloneDVD2 rips well to the HD.I know AnyDVD has a ripper but I’ve never used it.[/QUOTE]

I would agree I use that setup plus CloneCD and hasn’t failed me yet…but I do also use DVDFab Plat. so don’t limit your choices …

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2021813]But remember it only does DVD9 to DVD9 for the dvdfab free version so you will need to buy DL media unlike DVDFab Plat. paid version you can go either DVD5 or DVD9 format.[/QUOTE]Use DVD Shrink and then you don’t need to buy DL media.

Thanks very true, Shrink and AnyDVD and then burn it with ImgBurn is a great trio of programs and you only have to buy AnyDVD. Give it a try, AnyDVD has a free 21 day trial.

In answer to your question, yes AnyDVD is the [U]best[/U] solution. There are, of course, other solutions, some for free, and some that will do just as good a job quality-wise, but AnyDVD with CloneDVD is the easiest and fastest solution, a 1 step solution. Everything else is multiple steps and take much longer. The best [U]quality[/U] solution would be AnyDVD with DVDRebuilder, but takes several hours to encode. Get AnyDVD and CloneDVD 21 day trials, full versions for free, and see for yourself.

Wow, lots of feedback. From my light reading this morning it looks like the Anydvd and clonedvd bundle is the best for me. I don’t really want to become an expert on this subject, but I do want my media library to be functional.

I checked out dvdfab. It has some cool features for transfering dvd to lighter formats, but that is only on the platinum version.

I guess I will remove nero and see how the slysoft stuff works as stand alone.

[QUOTE=dsb1829;2021886]Wow, lots of feedback. From my light reading this morning it looks like the Anydvd and clonedvd bundle is the best for me. I don’t really want to become an expert on this subject, but I do want my media library to be functional.

I checked out dvdfab. It has some cool features for transfering dvd to lighter formats, but that is only on the platinum version.

I guess I will remove nero and see how the slysoft stuff works as stand alone.[/QUOTE]

I would keep nero if you have the ultra or full suite. I would definitly keep that package.

[quote=dsb1829;2021886]Wow, lots of feedback. From my light reading this morning it looks like the Anydvd and clonedvd bundle is the best for me. I don’t really want to become an expert on this subject, but I do want my media library to be functional.

I guess I will remove nero and see how the slysoft stuff works as stand alone.[/quote]
Your choice is sound, but having Nero on the computer also wont complicate things, I have both and they all work fine together.

Anydvd and clone dvd works for me. That all I use. For what I do.

Mr.Bill :iagree:

Yeah, my nero is just the oem version that came with my liteon burner. It works for the basic functions, but I noticed 1-2 discs into my rip testing that I ran into a copyright wall. It was obvious that nero alone wouldn’t cut it. As it is I think nero is bloated so I am not opposed to losing it.

At this point I have really only dabbled in cd ripping. But after some pc upgrades this winter I am really wanting to get into htpc. More and more content is becoming available online at places like abc.com even in hd. It would also be nice to have our dvd collection at a mouse click.

[QUOTE=dsb1829;2021886]Wow, lots of feedback. From my light reading this morning it looks like the Anydvd and clonedvd bundle is the best for me. I don’t really want to become an expert on this subject, but I do want my media library to be functional.

I guess I will remove nero and see how the slysoft stuff works as stand alone.[/QUOTE]I would check the prices, if you have to buy Anydvd and Clone dvd, Im pretty sure DVD FAB Platinum is a lot cheaper, a great program, easy to use, lots of features.

Looks like both are offering promo deals for another week or so. 49 or 55 euro, not a lot cheaper but cheaper none the less.:slight_smile:

Sounds like clonedvd may be a bit more powerful for removing unwanted stuff from disk before burning it to hdd. I have a bit longer on my trial. I should probably download dvdfab and compare before committing. Either way it is a chunk of change for software that isn’t entirely necessary.

I have to added the one reason maybe to choose Anydvd now is that it is first on the market to break BD+ …that would be a incentive to get Anydvd…

Bringing back up an old one…

BlueRay doesn’t really appeal to me. I will not take it to seriously until discs drop down below $20ea. So not much incentive. Good to know though.

I have been running AnyDVD and CloneDVD for a while. I have tested/ripped about a dozen discs to my hard drive. No issue yet. All seem to come across clear. It is a good product as far as I can tell.

I am going to download DVDfab and try it out for a few rips before committing one way or the other. DVDfab is cheaper and the platinum bundles most everything I can conceive doing together. Only down-side is I only have a couple of days to test this software since it will be increasing in price, splintering off features, and going with a sales approach more like slysoft (ie expensive, and buy every component separately).