Is amd so screwed?

after reading this article & seeing the state of amd processor :frowning:

is that true ?

i have a amd athlon 1.6 ghz - will my processor suffer the same fate ?

why amd doesnt incorporate the heat protection logic like intel ?

i was impressed by how the intel p4 & p3 survived.

thumbs down to amd :a

Don’t fear it too much.

First rule: do not always trust on the things uncle Tom says… he gets a fee every now and then :slight_smile:

Besided that, it isn’t that easy to let an AMD CPU die, as long as there is a heatsink mounted (in the right way) on the CPU. I’ve seen quite some cases where the CPU fan died what resulted into system freezes. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to be extremely sure, make sure that the airflow in your case is sufficient and you have a big heatsink on your CPU. That may even allow you to use the system without a CPU fan (I did that once with an Athlon 1,1, worked well, even stressed).

The somewhat more modern AMD chipsets (KT333 etc) do have a built-in temperature protection!

I’ve just purchased a cpu, it was from Intel. Reason being is that I also have watched the video clips on Tomshardware and feel it is a lot safer going with Intel.

Yes you could get adequate cooling, but things that spin very fast sometimes tend to get worn out sometime or another. And when they do eventually wear out (or breakdown, or a loose wire getting caught) I dont want to run the risk of frying my cpu and replacing it.

Yes Tomshardware “may” get a bob or two from whoever, but what I witnessed was enough to go for Intel.

Just my 2 pennies worth

I have a dead Athlon 1.0 on top of a dead IBM 60GXP on top of a red chair which is next to me right now. :bigsmile:

I thought most mobo’s have the possibillity to shutdown the pc in case of high temperature of the processor and case.
Check your bios if this is the case.

yeah the mobo has overheat protection.

but, why not built it into the cpu ?

a cpu is a terrible thing to waste…

i doubt it would be tht complicated to incorporate such logic - then why the f*** amd wouldnt built it ???

i can live with a less performance - but dont want to see my system on fire and destroy everything - i usually dont buy hardware that often.

is there any way i can sue them - neglecting basic safety precautions ?

for some million bucks ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:bigsmile:

yeah, im sure that after you turn your computer on and then forcably RIP the heatsink off, that amd is the only one to blame.

yes , amd could have integrated it into the cpu, but that would have added to the cost of the chips, and amd does not try to dumb everything down to the dumbest person that is going to put a heatsink on.

adding a heat spreader to the chips should be a higher prority then heat protection.(and it was on the 64’s)

and for the horror stories of people’s chips giving out, ask how many spent $100+ on the chip and then $5 on a heatsink and fan combo.

Maybe i’m incorrect in saying this, but I thought Intel cpus had the protection built in, that is why they didn’t fry like what the AMD cpus did in Tomshardware.

And maybe that could be the reason for the high price in Intel cpus (and also due to the fact that the majority of ppl have Intel cpus, and they can charge what they like)

Jamlid

yes , amd could have integrated it into the cpu, but that would have added to the cost of the chips, and amd does not try to dumb everything down to the dumbest person that is going to put a heatsink on.

How do you explain the dead processor for our good moderator Kenshin ?

I dont think that prices will rise that much - it can save a whole system !!! its justified !!

Its like a electric fuse - incase of a emergency i can save a whole power line. Say, how many times does your house fuse blows up ? maybe once a few years - but a major disaster can be avoided.

AMD should do something about this problems - if they are serious about competing with Intel. Such ignorance wont get them anywhere :Z

Few weeks back - a good friend of mine.

He had a ASUS (via 333 chipset) mobo & heat pin on mobo gave up - they whole system was on flames - CPU & mobo were totally dead. If it was a P4 - it would have slowed downed of shut off.

Its high time AMD comes up with some better solution…

And just how often does the heat sink just fall off a chip? A useful experiment would have been to just disconnect the fan and see what happens with heat sink alone.

Don’t believe everything you read, especially ones coming from people who are full of themselves, ie, Tom and Kyle.

If you build your own system and know exactly how to install a HSF (the right way), there’s absolutely nothing you should freak about. If your HSF falls off during transportation, you probably got a very very cheap HSF. Look for HSFs that use 3 hole clips (Thermalright SK7 & SLK800) and 4 pole mounting (Alpha 8045 and Swiftech 462) for secure lock down.

And until you have $800 million to put towards cpu development you cant say “it would be cheap to add it” without coming off sounding dumb.

And if you read all the spec’s you would realize that the athlon’s DO have thermal protection. It’s just more motherboard based. If you really want to complain about anyone being cheap, complain to the motherboard manufacturer’s that dont feel its justified to raise the price of a motherboard $10-$20 to enable the features.

I am currently running 4 AMD pc’s at my home. One athlon 1.2, two athlon 1.33’s and a xp1800. I built all and have never had a over heating problem. For the money,AMD rules…:smiley:

I’m getting the feeling that this topic is being used by ppl who want to flame on AMD.

Let’s be real. If the cooling installation is installed properly (done by a manufacturer -OEMs-, a shop or an -experienced- home-builder) the chances of anything going wrong are very very very slim. I’ve never seen or heard a heatsink falling of any CPU, AMD or Intel. I don’t see how they could fall of, since even the cheapest heatsinks have enough power to clamp themselves to the socket or mainboard.

For the ppl that prefer Intel above AMD: be glad there is a manufacturer like AMD with lower prices (and good quality IMHO) since it also loweres the prices of the competitors products (Intel CPU’s). Besides that, it fastens development (although too fast ain’t good either!).

Does Dee-ehn like AMD? Yes he does. I’m having my fifth AMD system right now and I am still satisfied. About temperature problems? Well I do own the hottest Athlon ever (TB 1,4 Ghz) and it still has a nice temperature (48c, stressed) being overclocked 200mhz (to 1,6Ghz)…

The PC I am running right now has:

Chaintech motherboard based on AMD-761 chipset
AMD Athlon 1.33GHz processor based on the then-popular Thunderbird AYHJA core with 128KB L1 and 256KB L2 cache
Micron’s Crucial PC2100 Registered ECC 256MB modules x 2

I have some more Socket 462 motherboards and processors. The first PC processor I bought on my own was an AMD 386 40MHz. I ran an independent forum last year that was 100% commited to DDR and Athlon.

I have no simple conclusion about this but I do not recommend any AMD processor any more to anyone I know personally however experienced or proud of oneself because I do not like to feel guilt. That’s also why I sometimes sold my AMD boards and processors for 1/3 of average market prices to some friends.

@Stoner

Don’t believe everything you read, especially ones coming from people who are full of themselves, ie, Tom and Kyle.

The two guys who have been promoting AMD K6 and K7 for years.

If you build your own system and know exactly how to install a HSF (the right way), there’s absolutely nothing you should freak about. If your HSF falls off during transportation, you probably got a very very cheap HSF. Look for HSFs that use 3 hole clips (Thermalright SK7 & SLK800) and 4 pole mounting (Alpha 8045 and Swiftech 462) for secure lock down.

Is there such thing as right or wrong in this? How can one judge whether other people have the “right” expertise in installing a heat sink fan or not? “Abolsutely nothing” seems so strong considering how many Athlon processors died. The possibility of heat sink to fall off during transportation is very low. Any heat sink fan other than AMD’s own bundled inside the retail box makes the warranty void.

@Smoker

And until you have $800 million to put towards cpu development you cant say “it would be cheap to add it” without coming off sounding dumb.

$800 million is $0.8 billion which is less than 1/4 of what Intel invests in R&D each year. If they don’t have the money, that’s their problem. VIA had even less capital to invest in C3 processors.

And if you read all the spec’s you would realize that the athlon’s DO have thermal protection. It’s just more motherboard based. If you really want to complain about anyone being cheap, complain to the motherboard manufacturer’s that dont feel its justified to raise the price of a motherboard $10-$20 to enable the features.

Not all Athlon processors have it and how much does one need to spend for the thermal protection feature and an expensive extra heatsink fan from Alpha or Swiftech? (I also have an Alpha 8045 with lots of other coolers.)

@dentman42

And just how often does the heat sink just fall off a chip? A useful experiment would have been to just disconnect the fan and see what happens with heat sink alone.

I myself did not try it but for how long? There are tens of millions of Athlon processors distributed around the world used largely by not-so-sophisticated PC users.

Intel’s $4B R&D budget is spent on many other things besides cpu development. Their networking projects take up quite a bit of that budget as well.

And via spent so much less on the deployment of their CPU’s because they got cyrix so cheap , added to the fact that their fabrication process is 3+ years behind everyone else in the industry.

and yes, there are 10’s of millions of amd cpu’s in use today.
and if there were large amounts of cpu’s failing (outside of user error) then dont you think that there would be more bad press or even lawsuits?

There is never a shortage of idiots in the world that cant follow simple directions. most of the Athlon failures i have seen have been 90% user error. everything from applying heat compound to the entire top of the chip(pads and all) to installing the heatsink backwards. as long as you can read directions, the only real worry is cracking the core, and as i said before, thats why they should have made the addition of a heat spreader a higher prority.(and you cant brag about Intel for that, the P3 and celeron’s had quite a few without heat spreaders)

370 degrees celcius:eek:

Originally posted by Smoker
There is never a shortage of idiots in the world that cant follow simple directions.

And why is it that so many of those advocating AMD use words like “idiots”, “dumb” and “full of themselves” as used here against people who criticized AMD in discussing this issue? This is not the first time I notice this in CDFreaks forum either though I’ve seen such behaviour thousands of times more on other site forums. Tom’s Hardware was attacked again and again because of that single video even though it has been promoting AMD processors since it was born in the second half of 1990s.

I’ll save words on the rest of your lines for now but most arguments and flaming war related to AMD vs. Intel have been quite destructive on all web forums I have visited (for AMD itself than for Intel or anyone else) mostly because of such personal attacks on everyone who tries to criticize AMD’s technologies and business policies.