Is a CD-DVD cleaning kit that carries the cleaning cd/dvd and liquid cleaning solution reliable?

vbimport

I have used the kit that only carries a cleaning cd (basically a micro-brush glued to the surface) on my latop dvd drive. It worked and I could read my cd-dvds for 3-4 times before they became unreadable again. I repeated the process 2 more times, but of late even that does not solve the problem anymore. I also have a cd/dvd cleaning kit that comes with a cd (micro-brushes again) and a liquid bottle (which I need to apply to the brushes), but have so far refrained from using it as I am unsure about combining liquid with sensitive electronics. Can anyone tell me if such a solution (pun intended) is reliable ? Researching on the net yeilded no satifactory answer.

Hi zwarriorx and welcome to the forums. :flower:

As far as I’m aware those sorts of cleaning disc are intended to be used as a one off fix and not repeatedly like that. Or in other words they either clean the lens and that’s it sorted or they don’t work at all.

To be honest I would only recommend them as a last resort since repeated use has been known in certain circumstances to create microscopic scratches on the lens.

The best way to clean the lens is very gently with a cotton bud soaked in isopropyl alcohol.

You may have to take the cover off to get at it properly but for most drives this is relatively easy.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Those types of cleaning kits that uses brushes can cause a multitude of problems for your
drive. They can cause as Wombler said “microscopic scratches on the lens” to completely
knocking the lens out of alignment so it doesn’t read anything anymore. :eek:

The safest way is to open the drive up and clean the lens yourself or if you’re not comfortable
doing that then you can take it to someone that has experience in doing that or just go and
buy yourself a new drive each time. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=getit29;2547706]Those types of cleaning kits that uses brushes can cause a multitude of problems for your
drive. They can cause as Wombler said “microscopic scratches on the lens” to completely
knocking the lens out of alignment so it doesn’t read anything anymore. :eek:
[/QUOTE]:iagree: That’s why at least Pioneer and Philips advise not to use “cleaning discs” for their optical drives.

Michael