Is 851s' Specs the same as 812s'?

vbimport

Hi
Im just wondering if 851s’ Specs is the same as 812s’ has , cos if it is upgrading the 851s to 812s should be really possible and maybe in the future to 832s (Liteon’s Dual Layer writer :smiley: ).

Regards
ronallan22

So the theory goes - yes, the 851S and the 812S are very similar drives indeed. They have to be - else the 812S f/w would find it very hard to be operating with any sucess at all on the 851S…

As for dual layer. Yup - indeed, we all theorise that the 812S is h/w capable of dual layer writing @ 2.4x…

If I were to say “Its capable and will be upgradable” however, I think it would be irresponsible of me.

Its another one of those “wait and see” situations…=(

Originally posted by zebra
[B]So the theory goes - yes, the 851S and the 812S are very similar drives indeed. They have to be - else the 812S f/w would find it very hard to be operating with any sucess at all on the 851S…

As for dual layer. Yup - indeed, we all theorise that the 812S is h/w capable of dual layer writing @ 2.4x…

If I were to say “Its capable and will be upgradable” however, I think it would be irresponsible of me.

Its another one of those “wait and see” situations…=( [/B]

Interesting. Out of curiosity, where do you get your info on the DL burner? Do you have any other info regarding it, like estimated release date?.. just curious :slight_smile:

Well according to oc-freak the 812 has the same hardware (new mediatek chipset) as the 832 which is, according to liteon’s road map, a dual layer drive. So lets wait and see:D . Hmm well actually my retailer sent me already a liteon 851s. A day before they had 812s. But o well i mailed them and they said i can give 851s back for free (postal fee) :wink: .

regards
ronallan22