Is 2.4x still recommended for DL?

I was reading the imgburn guide for DL burning and saw that 2.4x was recommended for a burning speed. I also noticed that the guide was dated August 2007, and I thought it might be outdated. Before reading the DL part of the guide I’ve burned several 8x DL’s at max speed with no problems (my burner utilizes incremental speeds up to 8x at the end of the disc).

Is 2.4x still the recommended speed for burning DL’s with Imgburn?

Thanx!

For older drives, 2.4X for write speed & Verbatim Dvd+R DL media is still recommended, but if your older drive allows you to burn at 4X, you should at least try it. For newer drives, 4X to 8X should be good, but I have burnt some at 10X when allowed. Newer drives burning the old 2.4X Verbatim Dvd+R DL, probably 4X.

Writing at 2.4x is mostly dependent on the burner. Older drives seem to give better results writing with 2.4x media. Current drives seem to handle 8x write speeds fine.

The one constant with DL writing is to always use Verbatim media.

I’m definately using 8x Verbatim media, MKM-003-00. My drive is fairly new, it came inside my laptop which I bought last summer ( DS8A1P CA14 (ATA)).

It sounds like I’m probably ok to continue burning at max, based on my experience and your replies. Thanx!

This slimtype burner is known to be problematic, even with DVD5 media…

Really? How so?

I burn many discs a week and this drive rarely gives me coasters, at least not since I started exclusively using Taiyo Yudens. I just recently started burning dvd9’s and I haven’t had any problems with those either. Maybe I’m just lucky…

[QUOTE=Brainfarmer;2307149]Really? How so?[/QUOTE]

Lite-On’s DVD burners have never been very good at burn quality (either on CD or DVD). In fact, my last Lite-On burner dropped the speed of several disks from maximum to a very slow speed (e.g. a 48x TY CD-R from 40x down to only 5x) towards the last third of the disk in order to complete the burn.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2307165]Lite-On’s DVD burners have never been very good at burn quality (either on CD or DVD). In fact, my last Lite-On burner dropped the speed of several disks from maximum to a very slow speed (e.g. a 48x TY CD-R from 40x down to only 5x) towards the last third of the disk in order to complete the burn.[/QUOTE]

That sounds more like bad media… Without knowing what drive your using it’s all speculations. That remark is just without much support or multiple independent testing. I used Liteon drives and don’t have the problem your describing most problem where the result of bad media.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2307229]That sounds more like bad media… Without knowing what drive your using it’s all speculations. That remark is just without much support or multiple independent testing. I used Liteon drives and don’t have the problem your describing most problem where the result of bad media.[/QUOTE]

Actually, that is my own experience with my particular Lite-On burner - and not necessarily other models of Lite-On burners (most of which I have not yet tested). Therefore, I am taking back the blanket statement.

well on my drive which is a Lite-On 1673S i can burn @ 4x and i DO burn @ 4x since based on the disc quality checks with Kprobe the PIE’s are MUCH lower in the later section of the disc vs when doing the same thing @ 2.4x burn speed.

[QUOTE=NBR;2409459]well on my drive which is a Lite-On 1673S i can burn @ 4x and i DO burn @ 4x since based on the disc quality checks with Kprobe the PIE’s are MUCH lower in the later section of the disc vs when doing the same thing @ 2.4x burn speed.[/QUOTE]

I purchased my LG DVD Burner last year so I would not consider it that old. I can recall having some minor problems with DL burning before I became familiar with setting the write speed (I was using a different burning software with the write speed set at “recommended”).

Now although this is not related to DL burning, I thought I would tell of my experience with DVD+RW where the supported write speed is either 2.4x or 4x.

If I burn at 4x, the burn completes satisfactorily but when I place the DVD+RW into my stand-alone DVD player, it takes about a minute for it to be recognized and start playing. When I do the same burn at 2.4x, the player recognizes and plays the disk almost immediately.

As a result, I always use 2.4x for DVD+RW DL as well as DVD+RW and have never had a problem since.

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2409475]I purchased my LG DVD Burner last year so I would not consider it that old. I can recall having some minor problems with DL burning before I became familiar with setting the write speed (I was using a different burning software with the write speed set at “recommended”).

Now although this is not related to DL burning, I thought I would tell of my experience with DVD+RW where the supported write speed is either 2.4x or 4x.

If I burn at 4x, the burn completes satisfactorily but when I place the DVD+RW into my stand-alone DVD player, it takes about a minute for it to be recognized and start playing. When I do the same burn at 2.4x, the player recognizes and plays the disk almost immediately.

As a result, I always use 2.4x [B]for DVD+RW DL[/B] as well as DVD+RW and have never had a problem since.[/QUOTE]

I doubt you have such media nor could use them…

[QUOTE=chef;2413069]I doubt you have such media nor could use them…[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the typo. I meant [B]DVD+R DL[/B] and DVD+RW. I know there is no such thing as a DVD+RW DL.

The Verbatim 4.7GB DVD+RW I use has a supported write speed of either 2.4x or 4x. My stand-alone DVD player reads the DVD+RW burned at 2.4x almost instantaneously while if it was burned at 4x, it takes about a minute to read.

I’ve always found that 2.4x is the worst speed to burn DL media at.

2.4x DL media should be burned no slower than 4x, whether the drive is new or old. The 2.4x write strategies contained in most firmwares suck big time.

Obviously, if you have 8x DL media, then you should definitely burn it no slower than 4x.

Just try to forget that the 2.4x speed even exists, unless your burner won’t give you any choice.

[QUOTE=negritude;2413240]I’ve always found that 2.4x is the worst speed to burn DL media at.

2.4x DL media should be burned no slower than 4x, whether the drive is new or old. The 2.4x write strategies contained in most firmwares suck big time.

Obviously, if you have 8x DL media, then you should definitely burn it no slower than 4x.

Just try to forget that the 2.4x speed even exists, unless your burner won’t give you any choice.[/QUOTE]

That can go both ways I burn at 2-2.4x and never had much problem with my 8x DL media. But as anything you should go with a speed burning on the drive that has worked well with your media. I have a quad core and it burns fine on my system at 2-2.4x speed. Although it does seem to go up to 3 and 4x burn speed at indicated by the status but then again it plays fine using that burn speed for me.

What has worked for me is burning at half the maximum supported write speed of the media.

So 8x works fine for me when burning DVD±R which is rated up to 16x and 2.4x for DVD+RW which is rated up to 4x.

When it comes to DL, I was having some intermittent problems in the beginning but have been getting 100% successful burns since I began using a write speed of 2.4x exclusively.

Now it is true that I never tried burning at 4x since I switched to ImgBurn. I had been using a software incorporating VSO. Could someone please explain what the advantage would be to burning DL at 4x?

Could someone please explain what the advantage would be to burning DL at 4x?

well in my particular drive (which is from 2005 (Lite-On 1673S) so it’s fairly old by today’s standards) like i said before on Verbatim DVD+R DL (made in singapore) 2.4x certified media, i get noticeably less PIE’s burning @ 4x vs 2.4x according to Kprobe. so if that has any indication of the burn quality (which this site typically believes in) then 4x burning is better than 2.4x burning on Verbatim 2.4x certified media.

although from a guess i would say for cheaper quality media 2.4x might be better/required in some cases but im just speculating on this as i have NO experience with any other DL media besides the 2.4x certified Verbatim.

p.s. the Verbatim DVD+R DL media i use is strictly used for XBox360 backups. my XBox360 has a Samsung MS28 drive in it and it plays my backup’s fine that i burned @ 4x.

[QUOTE=NBR;2413429]well in my particular drive (which is from 2005 (Lite-On 1673S) so it’s fairly old by today’s standards) like i said before on Verbatim DVD+R DL (made in singapore) 2.4x certified media, i get noticeably less PIE’s burning @ 4x vs 2.4x according to Kprobe. so if that has any indication of the burn quality (which this site typically believes in) then 4x burning is better than 2.4x burning on Verbatim 2.4x certified media.

although from a guess i would say for cheaper quality media 2.4x might be better/required in some cases but im just speculating on this as i have NO experience with any other DL media besides the 2.4x certified Verbatim.

p.s. the Verbatim DVD+R DL media i use is strictly used for XBox360 backups. my XBox360 has a Samsung MS28 drive in it and it plays my backup’s fine that i burned @ 4x.[/QUOTE]

Well maybe my LG GSA-E40L likes slower burn speeds. Again because a DVD+RW burned at 2.4x was read much quicker in my stand-alone DVD player than the same DVD+RW burned at 4x. These particular Verbatim DVD+RWs (made in Taiwan) have a supported write speed of 2.4x and 4x only. Could it be this particular media which burns better at 2.4x?

By the way, since I am not that sophisticated, what is PIE?

here is some reading
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/

good luck:flower:, i hope you make it out okay, ive gotten lost in the valley of PIF and almost lost all hope of making it out. :stuck_out_tongue: but then i stopped caring. :bigsmile:

well to a certain point, ive not completely given it up, cant quite cold turkey either, i get the shakes and cant sleep at night. :eek: :bigsmile: