Is $1500US to much for this rig

This was advertised in my local newspaper for $1500.00. When I inquired he said he was getting higher offers. I doubt this is a scam as I was invited to come inspect it. Below are the components he described.

With prices dropping. Is this a good deal or current average market rate. Should I use the money to build something else. Primary use is video multi-media, lots of editing(final cut pro HD) and processing large photo Raw files. I have a dozen TB external raids storage already. I’ve been using a Mac G5 dual 2.5GHZ and I getting frustrated with compatibility issues and the G5 is very picky on what optical devices, non linear boxes, programming dongles for remote devices are connected at any given combination. One device at a time always stable, multiple devices and the G5 is unstable/erratic. Same reason always given, driver conflicts. I never experienced these issue with the PC platform. Couple of years ago the Mac was the logical choice for it’s brute processing muscle.
Any suggestion on what would equate to the Apple G5 muscle in the PC platform today.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

And finally the components of rig being advertised:

• Lian Li V2000B Case

• Tyan S2985 Motherboard

• Dual AMD Opteron 885 2.6GHz Dual Core Rev E Processors

• 4GB of DDR 400MHz ECC Registered Memory

• 4 x Western Digital Raptor 74GB Disk Drives
    (At Full RAID Mirroring gives you 150GB of Redundant Storage!)

• Nvidia 7800GT Video Card

• BenQ 1640 DVD Burner

• Corsair HX600 Watt Silent Modular PSU!

• Liang Fully Watercooled CPUs!

You could build one for that and put what you want in it. Up to you.

I’d like to have the BenQ 1640 :wink:

It’s not a “bad” price, but you could build it yourself too and have more fun.

I like cutting out the middle man and build my own :iagree: :bigsmile:

i agree that’s a decent price. he’d probably be just about breaking even maybe a little better, but for me building it myself is worth the peace of mind of having receipts and knowing what’s under warranty and when those warranties expire.

also you didn’t mention an operating system. that’s a nice chunk of extra money you’ll have to spend if you’re going with windows.

i really hope you’re not planning on flat out replacing the mac especially if you do a lot of video work. unless you have the cash to get an avid system up and running, the best you’re going to do on is Adobe Premiere (which is still pretty darn expensive). Premiere isn’t bad and technically you can get the same results as FCP, but it won’t be a fun transition. FCP is far superior in my opinion in the areas of usability, aesthetics, and intuitiveness. – only my opinion of course.

You need to watch when buying 2nd hand hardware/systems. You don’t know how much abuse the systems been through. There could be weaknesses you won’t detect until you’ve used it for a bit.
My rule:- Always buy brand new and build for yourself. You know what your getting that way.

Thanks, You are right.

Why take a chance on it. I never built a high end rig before. Thanks everyone for such great information. I am going to pass on it. He called me today and dropped the price to $1200.00. His rig must have some issues.

I never built a high end rig before.

Give it a try. A high end system isn’t that hard to build. It’s more fun too and more rewarding in the end. By the time the systems built, you know it well enough to maintain it as well as play about with it and upgrade it.

Edit: Remember, if you have problems, you have the net. The biggest single source of help and advice you could ever need.

ok, first of all MACS DO NOT NEED DRIVERS!!! PCs are the ones that need all that stuff. Macs just work. They work better than any crappy pc. You made me so mad I registered in this forum just to tell you you’re a total wanker. If you want to do video you need a mac, that’s it. FInal Cut Pro and an Intal Mac. Forget virii, forget spyware, you don’t get them on macs just pcs.

If you get any conflicts using a mac, then you are trying to use it like a pc - don’t. It isn’t a pc, it’s a real computer, not a toy.

As for stability - macs do not crash. I use my G5 at least 14 hours a day, 6 days a week - and it NEVER crashes! Unlike my wife’s pc, which can’t opn half the stuff my mac can and is always causing problems - that’s pc’s for you.

you registered just to start a osx vs windows debate in a thread about whether this guy was trying to rip him off on a computer? please…

first off PCs are not unstable. windows is unstable. macs are not inherently stable. osx is stable. <—these are GENERALIZATIONS. generalizations are not good…and you didn’t even generalize correctly: it’s not mac vs. pc (i think intel macs prove that point) it’s windows vs. osx.

he could buy that pc and put linux on it…no one said ANYTHING about windows in this thread (unless you count when i said if he was going with windows that would be a large added cost)

This argument has been played out on hundreds of forums all over the internet and your attitude of name calling and claims of superiority aren’t going to get you far here.

way i see it is macs are better for something but windows based pcs are better at others its down to each persons personal preference :slight_smile:

and to go back onto topic that pcs not worth it really them cpus have dropped WAYYYY in price and that psu isnt no way near enough

Looks very good to me, but I’d build Clovertown or wait for 4-core or 8-core 45nm dual systems.

http://www.pink-martini.org/missions/liens/link.php?m=1&l=1&u=7&k=1q5I0e5licY2VpbrMeOJ7Lhf6Vu5L

lol, I hate to feed teh trolls, but we use intel macs in my graphics design classes and they can’t do anything without crashing, even safari crashes on me at least once per class…probably the worst offender is illustrator cs2, hopefully CS3 is better

@ the OP: $1200 is actually really cheap for that system, especially since it has the 8xx 4 way CPUs (who knows why he put them in a 2 socket mobo though :confused: ), when it was new that system would have been ~$2500 in CPUs, $600 worth of HDDs, $400+ in ram, ~$300-$400 mobo, $250 video, $200+ case, ~$150 PSU, etc, etc

but since he had to lower the price, I agree that something has to be wrong with the system, if he parted it out he could get way more than $1200

as far as getting similar performance to a mac, its pretty easy now…the mac pros are just dual xeons on a server board, the best bang for your buck way of getting that performance would be a quad core q6600 on a desktop board

ok, first of all MACS DO NOT NEED DRIVERS!!! PCs are the ones that need all that stuff. Macs just work. They work better than any crappy pc. You made me so mad I registered in this forum just to tell you you’re a total wanker. If you want to do video you need a mac, that’s it. FInal Cut Pro and an Intal Mac. Forget virii, forget spyware, you don’t get them on macs just pcs.

If you get any conflicts using a mac, then you are trying to use it like a pc - don’t. It isn’t a pc, it’s a real computer, not a toy.

As for stability - macs do not crash. I use my G5 at least 14 hours a day, 6 days a week - and it NEVER crashes! Unlike my wife’s pc, which can’t opn half the stuff my mac can and is always causing problems - that’s pc’s for you.

LOL. Some people just don’t understand that you can’t get your point across going on like this. Nobody listen’s. Now if he was a bit more civil…

Sounds like this person needs a couple bong hits :bigsmile:

Yea. Could do with mellowing out a little. Talking of wich… :bigsmile:

ok you twisted my arm :bigsmile:

You’re obsessed, the pair of you :bigsmile:

I like PCs, they’re easy to take apart and rebuild. 'Nuff said. :iagree: