Irresistible - IFO/VOB output problem

vbimport

AnyDVD 5953 -CloneDVD2 2892
Movie only - Preserved Menu - TY02 / burned @ 6x
100% - no compress – Total time - 18 minute for process and burn.

Normal process to backup a movie as IFO/FOB output to immediate burn, has always worked flawless (delete temp. file NOT ticked - saves HDD copy). Today when I loaded my burned copy, external player status as a DVD video, but movie never loaded. So I loaded the disk into my computer DVD player and powerDVD locked up, as did VLC. So I loaded HDD Video TS folder, powerDVD again locked up. So I deleted the output folder and again ran the process with NO immediate burn. I started powerDVD / HDD Video TS folder and again locked it up.
So then I created an ISO output file, mounted on a Virtual drive and powerDVD played perfectly. Tried same file with VLC and played perfectly … so I burned the ISO and it plays flawlessly. So what happened with IFO/FOB output(s)?

AnyDVD default settings? If not, click “default”.

Thanks for the reply Tru
The following AnyDVD settings were NOT default.

Settings / DVD tab / Navigation

Remove annoying adverbs and trailers = Ticked.
Jump directly to Tilte Menu. = Ticked.

Settings / Program Tab / Settings
Autostart = NOT Ticked.

Will try a IFO/VOB output run with AnyDVD set at default.

With AnyDVD set at default, I tried the 4th IFO/VOB process run … it worked. When loaded into powerDVD it ran perfect. Correct me if I am wrong …

I thought the above setting only interacted in the viewing of an original commercial DVD disk, not the processing of output files. Now their is one more consideration for success today … the computer was powered down, restated before this 4th run (shut down for evening).

On the same subject of the IFO, BUP files.

I compared the output of AnyDVD (stand alone) / AnyDVD+CloneDVD / AnyDVD+DVDDecrypter to realise some interesting differences. The reason I did the compare was because of 2 problems that led me to investigate. Problems described later on.

The movie was Star Wars III (Revenge of the Sith).
Basically I saw that the files from AnyDVD (“rip to disc”) were different from the AnyDVD+DVDDecrypter (IFO, BUP) in only one byte.
Further I observed that the files from AnyDVD+CloneDVD would then be identical to DVDDecrypter output (IFO/BUP! not the VOBs).

So basically my question is why the Decrypter and CloneDVD IFO/BUP output files are identical and the ANYDVD rips are different in one byte? What is the significance of this byte? Is there a bug?

Problem 1:
The output of AnyDVD “rip to disc” with “remove unreferenced streams” on, was unreadable by CloneDVD afterwards when I tried to selectivelly remove streams. CloneDVD would complain for invalid DVD structure.

Problem 2:
I have been experiencing a problem with my player (Sony DVP-NS425P). In some cases the movie freezes at some point and I have to skip chapters in order to get it going (popular problem as I see in the forum). I also observed that this happened to ripped files from ANYDVD with “rip to hard disc” feature as opposed to ripped from DVDDecrypter. The media that I used was Taiyo 8x and no program was running in the background. Could there be a connection of those IFO/BUP differences with the video freeze?

@ ghus,

Concerning your question concerning the AnyDVD Ripper function. The below is a direct quotation from the SlySoft version 5.9.1.1 AnyDVD History concerning the AnyDVD Ripper.

“ New: Added “AnyDVD Ripper”. This little tool repairs defective DVDs while copying them to your Hard Disk. It can be started from the menu of the AnyDVD fox icon. It can be started as a stand alone application from the start menu as well, so it can be used even if AnyDVD is not registered and the trial period has expired.

It is identical to FixVTS (http://www.videohelp.com/~FixVTS/) but instead of fixing problems “in place” it copies the files to your Hard Disk directly from the source DVD. It fixes the problems while the files are copied. Some DVDs which have severe mastering defects e.g., “Menace II Society” R1 (US) can now be copied with all DVD copy tools (elby CloneDVD, DVDShrink, etc.) Many thanks to the author of FixVTS! ”

Best Regards,
bjkg

tx for your fast reply.

however the output is unreadable from CloneDVD on title Star Wars III revenge of the sith. (Latest versions of all involved apps)

I am curious though. What I mentioned about the single byte difference in my other post happens with all titles I have tried so far. Very old and new releases. Do all of them need to be touched cause of bad mastering? In all rips it seems that the IFO/BUP files are consistently different.

Nope, it modifies the disc structure “in memory” for lack of a better way to describe it. So, any program attempting to use the disc sees the disc structure that’s been modified, not the “original”. Think of it like this…AnyDVD doesn’t know what player you’re going to use to view it, so, it has to modify it in a “generic” way so that all players see the disc with those options…but, not just players will see that, ALL programs will. As has been said before, that option SOMETIMES works and sometimes causes problems. Use it with caution.

Originally Posted by Dennis L

Settings / Program Tab / Settings
Autostart = NOT Ticked.

[i]Correct me if I am wrong ..  I thought the above setting  only interacted in the [b]viewing[/b] of an original commercial DVD disk, not the [b]processing[/b] of output files. Now their is one more consideration for success today ... the computer was powered down, restated before this 4th run (shut down for evening).[/i]

Thanks for the clarification. I thought the above non-default settings for AnyDVD just influence the viewing of the original commercial DVD. With AnyDVD loaded and the same commercial DVD movie is viewed by CloneDVD2 (using “Copy DVD Titles” option), CloneDVD2 includes all extra’s in the view … thus I “assumed” AnyDVD’s non-default settings I had chose did not influence what CloneDVD2 seen / outputs to files had no relationship. The only file(s) I tick in CloneDVD2 are the main movie file. I will now use AnyDVD in default setting. THANKS :wink:

Just one more note on the CloneDVD thing, the reason you see them there is that AnyDVD doesn’t actually REMOVE them, it just bypasses them by modifying the IFOs in memory. So the content is still there, which is why you see it in CloneDVD, but, it’s bypassed when it’s actually played or ripped.

For my player it seems consistent so far. The output from AnyDVD “rip to harddisk” produces IFO/BUP files that choke my Sony DVP-NS425P all the time. When i rip with Decrypter or CloneDVD the content is playable.