Irish Three customer gets €3880.72 bill for tethering its unlimited plan

A Three customer in Ireland recently signed up to Three’s Evolve plan, which includes a new phone with unlimited data along with some texts and voice minutes. With unlimited data on its plan, one evening they decided to enable the phone’s personal Hotspot feature to watch some sport on their laptop. The following morning, a notification text arrived about excess charges. When they logged in to check, they got a nasty surprise to see a €3,880.72 bill due to 4.63GB of out of bundle data usage, as posted mentioned on Boards.ie.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.myce.com/news/irish-three-customer-gets-e3880-72-bill-tethering-unlimited-plan-81784/

Almost everything has a catch these days and I think if was planning a marathon session like this I’d make sure I was covered before even attempting that.

Those terms and conditions are pretty clear though so I don’t think he has a leg to stand on.

One thing’s for sure, it certainly proved to be an expensive lesson to learn. :rolleyes:

Three has been up to rather shady tactics recently and reckons it has found a loophole around the EU’s upcoming abolition of roaming charges. Users on its “All you eat plans” would get as little as 1GB while roaming in the EU.

Although Three Ireland does not permit tethering on its prepay phone plan either, they don’t actually enforce it (unlike Three UK) or charge users who do it. This is probably what is catching out the unlucky ones on bill pay plans as they probably figure it’ll be the same. On the other hand, the “All you can eat” data expires 28 days after the €20 top-up, after which a €1.01/MB charge occurs whether the user tethers or uses data on the handset.

Three’s 500MB prepay add-on has been broken for over a week now despite saying “We know about it and are working hard to fix it.” The only way for a prepay customer to avoid paying €1.01/MB is to top-up by €20 every 28 days for AYCE or turn off data. A few app updates or photo sync uploads (e.g. 50+MB) is enough to wipe out one’s prepay call credit without a data bundle.

Unlike other mobile providers in Ireland, Three does not issue any warnings that a bundle is about to expire, which also catches people out. For comparison, the network I’m on (Meteor) sends me a reminder a day before my bundle expires. Even if I forget and try accessing data, it displays a landing page asking if I would like to buy a new data add-on or to go online using out-of-bundle data.

Shortly after they bought out the O2 Network, they hiked all their price plans by around €5, increased their out-of-bundle call and data charges and changed from per second billing to per minute billing, rounded up. These price increases are likely one factor that resulted in the EU commission blocking Three UK’s attempt to buy out O2 UK.

Sharp practices indeed. :iagree:

I wonder how long it will be before they start losing too many customers as a result?

If I was with them, and read this, I’d certainly be changing networks.

It seems to me that mobile data providers wouldn’t know good ethical behavior if it came up and bit their reproductive organs clean off!

LOL, very diplomatically put! :smiley: :iagree:

If they don’t know what good ethical behavior looks like, then how are they avoiding it so effectively?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@wombler: As Donald Trump would likely say: “I’m very diplomatic, I’m such a good diplomat. I know more about ISIS diplomacy than… the generals diplomats do, believe me.”

@DrageMester: Sheer dumb luck?

this is why i don’t bother with these bullshit unlimited plans … i mean some of us would like to watch our content on a screen that isn’t 4 inches… these cellphone companies need to learn fairplay