Irish road council can't make up its mind on a junction sign

vbimport

At a first glance, the following appears to be just like any other typical Irish rural road junction:

Well, that is until I crop the picture - Read the signs: :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a junction I pass on my way to work and that ‘STAD’ sign has been completely changed at least four times that I recall.

This use to be a 4-way road junction up until recently. A few years before that, the sign as a triangle ‘YIELD’ sign. The two signs shown leading up to it were not there at the time.

That ‘YIELD’ sign was then replaced with a stop sign that did say ‘STOP’ on it.

A new road was laid next to the existing junction and once it was opened up, the original junction was removed and the original road coming into it on the other side joined a little further up the main road, i.e. another ‘T’ junction.

Instead of moving the stop sign, a new ‘STÁD’ sign was put in place, along with the ‘PREPARE TO STOP’ and ‘NEW ROAD LAYOUT AHEAD’ signs. Notice the accent on the ‘Á’ here, like in my name.

Well, that accent should not have been there, as ‘Stad’ (not ‘Stád’) is the Irish for ‘Stop’. So the council replaced the road sign with the proper spelling.

So, does everyone obey the ‘Stad’ sign? Well, apparently not!

A few months ago while driving past this junction, I noticed the sign was missing and the two bars leading up were bent. Yes, someone actually ran right into it, launching the ‘STAD’ part into someone’s lawn nearby.

So what did the council do? Well, the picture above is how the junction currently is - They just put another ‘Stad’ sign in its place.

Apparently, the reason they use a ‘STAD’ sign at this junction is that this region is in what is known as a ‘Gaeltacht’ (Irish speaking area), so place names and some road signs are written in Irish only. In the white signs on the right, ‘Killybegs’ is outside the ‘Gaeltacht’ zone, so it is written in English and Irish, where as the other two villages (the Irish for Kilcar and Carrick) are written in Irish only.

As for Satnavs, some rural place names are also written in Irish only (also varies between GPS map providers) and we currently do have post codes in Ireland, so it’s quite a challenge finding places in rural areas. I even got lost looking for Dungloe when my Satnav battery ran out unexpectedly (charger didn’t fit my lighter socket). When I asked for directions, I found out why - It’s in a Gaeltacht area and thus the road signs leading to it said “An Clochán Liath”, which doesn’t sound anything like Dungloe! :doh:

Well, the sign that says “NEW ROAD LAYOUT AHEAD” should obviously be taken literally, as the layout is new every time you go there! :smiley:

I thought Ireland’s ‘STAD’ signs were green & shaped like shamrocks .
Boy would I have trouble driving there . :wink:

Maybe because I’ve always been in the “wide open spaces” .
I don’t seem to need a GPS as I don’t have one & have never used one.
I do at times use a paper road map or Atlas .
In my home area the Texas panhandle I can go to any town or city without a map. I know where they are .
All of Ireland is some bigger that the Texas panhandle.
Ireland is 32,595 sq miles (84,421 km²).
The Texas panhandle is 25,887 sq miles (67,046 km²).
Texas is 268,820 sq miles (696,241 km²) .
Now I couldn’t just go to any place in Texas without some map use .
There are towns so small if you take a giant step you leave the “city limits” . Bit of exaggeration there but I’m sure you get the point.

Cholla, I wanted to say something about how big Alaska is compared to Texas, but decided to hold my thoughts :bow::bow::bow:

[QUOTE=thor21344;2736097]Cholla, I wanted to say something about how big Alaska is compared to Texas, but decided to hold my thoughts :bow::bow::bow:[/QUOTE]

I would have replied that if you melt all the ice Alaska is only the size of Rhode Island .:bigsmile:

Alaska is some over twice the size of Texas in reality .
A lot of it is virtually uninhabitable by humans a lot of the year.

Glad I don’t drive, that would confuse the hell out of me :eek: