Business & Technology
Features
Blogs
Variety
Sports
Web TV
Contact

Home

Last Updated: Sun Apr 22, 2012 13:49 pm (KSA) 10:49 am (GMT)

Iran says it is building copy of captured U.S. drone, reveals ‘codes’

Sunday, 22 April 2012

The Iranian military’s electronic warfare unit announced last December that Iran had downed, with minimal damage, an American spy drone. (File photo)

inShare.1

By AL ARABIYA WITH AGENCIES

A senior Iranian commander says the country has reverse-engineered an American spy drone captured by Tehran’s armed forces last year and has begun building a copy.

General Amir Ali Hajizadeh, who is chief of the aerospace division of the powerful Revolutionary Guards, was quoted Sunday by the semi-official Mehr news agency as saying that experts are also recovering data from the U.S. RQ-170 Sentinel captured in December in eastern Iran.

Gen. Hajizadeh and revealed what he said were “codes” gleaned from the unmanned aircraft.

“I am giving you four codes so the Americans understand just how far we have gone in penetrating the drone’s secrets,” General Amir Ali Hajizadeh, the head of the Revolutionary Guards’ aerospatial division, told state television.

“In October 2010, the aircraft was sent to California for some technical issues, where it was repaired and after flight tests, it was taken to Kandahar (in Afghanistan) in November 2010, when a series of technical problems still prevailed,” he said.

“In December 2010, it was sent to an airport near Los Angeles for repair of its equipment and sensors, and flight tests. The drone was then sent back to Kandahar,” he said.

Hajizadeh did not give further details, saying: “This aircraft is a national treasure for us, and I cannot divulge information about it.”

But he added Iran has “started producing a copy of the RQ-170 drone,” stressing it used the same US technology in stealth fighters and bombers.

U.S. officials have said Iran will find it hard to exploit any data and technology aboard it because of measures taken to limit the intelligence value of drones operating over hostile territory.

Last December, the Iranian military’s electronic warfare unit announced that Iran had downed with minimal damage the U.S. RQ-170 Sentinel stealth reconnaissance aircraft, while it was flying above Iran’s Northeastern city of Kashmar. U.S. officials later confirmed that the drone was part of a CIA reconnaissance mission, involving the United States intelligence community stationed in Afghanistan.

According to the official Iranian news agency, reports from the Pentagon have revealed that United States’ military experts and officials are deeply worried about Tehran’s access to the drone as it contains highly classified technologies and materials which are used in a number of U.S. planes, including the F-22.

Meanwhile, Russia and China have asked Tehran to provide them with information on a U.S. drone, a senior Defense Ministry advisor said, according to the official FARS news agency on Saturday.

Ahmad Karimpour, an adviser to Iran’s defense minister, said Tehran has received requests from many countries for information on the RQ-170 Sentinel, but Moscow and Beijing have been most aggressive in their pursuit of details on the drone. He did not elaborate.

inShare.1

Related Articles »Iranian claims of downing U.S. drone reveal inconsisten…
Iran says it will not return captured U.S. drone…
Obama calls on Iran to give back downed U.S. drone; Ahm…

Comments »

1 - US WILL LOST CONTROL OVER COUNTRIES IT MANIPULATEDobserver (Guest) 08:29am GMT, 11:29am KSA, 22/04/2012Iran had moved into nuclear era & soon Iran will move to develop drones. The reality is, China & Russian experts were already in Iran conducting inspection & analysis on the US drone. Soon these countries will have their own drones & then we can see the world with drones flying on our air space. It is good to see that China & Russia had established strong relationship to protect countries that had been manipulated by US. Soon this world community block, comprises of China, Russia & third world countries, will scrutinize Israel nuclear arsenal.

2 - reverse engineeringjohn (Guest) 10:13am GMT, 01:13pm KSA, 22/04/2012the US has put in 10s of hundreds of man years into developing this drone. Iran says it has reversed engineered it in a few months … Just more lies from the mullahs …

3 - IRAN WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO STAND AGAINTS THE MIGHT OF THE WESTmick (Guest) 11:04am GMT, 02:04pm KSA, 22/04/2012

Post Your Comment »

registration will preserve your nickname from being impersonated.

Name:

Title:

Comment:

characters (550) remaining

Search

Social Media »
FacebookYou TubeTwitterRSS

Al Arabiya News
Front Page
Middle East
International
Analysis
Business & Technology
Features

Blogs
Variety
Sports

Web Services
Al Arabiya Mobile
RSS

AL ARABIYA NETWORK
About us
Contact

Hey Bug Zapper, do you ever preview your ‘posts’ before wandering off on your merry way? You should try it some time just for grins…

PIPEMANID
It’s good to hear from you again. The
answer sure I do. If you read the whole article
Iran claimed it had reversed engineered the drone. zap:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=zap em;2631925]…Iran claimed it had reversed engineered the drone.[/QUOTE]

Just what we need, [I]another[/I] patent war. :rolleyes::bigsmile:

ibex,
I get the joke unfortunatley Iran has
something else in mind.:frowning:
zap

[QUOTE=zap em;2631925]PIPEMANID[/QUOTE]
I see your caps lock key got stuck again…Or was it your English teacher’s
direction?

If you read the whole article
Iran claimed it had reversed engineered the drone.

What makes you think I didn’t read the whole article? You have to be the biggest Twit on the Net…

pipemanid
It’s good to hear from you again.
I thought we were done.
Zap:bigsmile:

Why give the air plane to them in the first time? :confused:

US officials admitted they lost the drone on a CIA mission over Iran,

^:clap::iagree:

I wouldn’t worry too much about Iran nukeing California just yet. Building a fission bomb is a simple engineering exercise, but an effective delivery system is much more difficult. Even an unguided aerial bomb is tricky. An ICBM with the range to reach California (halfway round the world and at quite a low lattitude) would require an extensive aerospace programme and even then developing a working guidance system would be extremely difficult.

ibex,
It’s not California their after it’s
Israel.
Zap:(

Those drones are pretty lame. They are old technology, made with off the shelf stuff. Anyone with Rhino3D could back engineer the fuselage dimensions from pictures on the web. The electronics are nothing to worry about. A big fluff story. It was using GPS that was not decrypted. I think they wanted them to capture it. It’s the Predator drones that are scary. They receive no signals, take off, fly 48 hr. missions autonomously, then, comeback and land. Then, there’s the XB-37, stays in space up to 270 days in space doing who knows what.

That’s not all they do?. As for Iran? Laughable.:slightly_smiling_face:

Yo Zap_em , its good to see you back after all this time .

Funny thing here is they copied the tech so the US can use it back against them. duh. Must think they can be smarter but from this story is seems they went the other way using the US tech would let us back hack into their system. They just let US intelligence onto their systems.

Has anyone here not realized this is a news article from April 2012…not April 12?

It’s still good news fodder…

You are correct, some people do not read the beginning of the thread as they should. Still interesting though. Here is something along the same line only newer
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/israel-confirms-downed-jet-was-hit-by-syrian-antiaircraft-fire/2018/02/11/bd42a0b2-0f13-11e8-8ea1-c1d91fcec3fe_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.27254ba77af7