Ipod Touch

I’m having trouble with the way that movies are showing on the screen, every one I do turns out with the black bands on the top and bottom. I added the profiles from the other thread for the touch and used the 480x320, however it looks no different from the one I did before using the regular Ipod profile. I must be missing something here and am a bit confused. Is there a way to get the movie to play on the whole screen? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi sberton and welcome to the forum.
Each player has different internal logic for dealing with letterboxed or widescreen images. I’m not sure if your player has controls for this or not. I would suggest trying one of the 1.777778 aspect ratio sizes to see how it handles that. You may have to select different aspect ratios in DVDFab with different movies, depending on the aspect ratio of the original content. On my Archos player, if I set it to play “same as original” and encode at 1.78, I get small black bars top and bottom with movies that are letterboxed widescreen, but true widescreen movies fill it up with no bars.

Thank you, I come here often and learn so much.

So aspect ratio is the more important thing to look at, I wasn’t even paying attention to that. I did notice that one movie when loaded into dvd fab, played on the preview with no black bars, but another did preview with them, even though both are 16:9. I will try the 1.78 and see how that works. Thank you for the help

[quote=sberton;1928144]Thank you, I come here often and learn so much.

So aspect ratio is the more important thing to look at, I wasn’t even paying attention to that. I did notice that one movie when loaded into dvd fab, played on the preview with no black bars, but another did preview with them, even though both are 16:9. I will try the 1.78 and see how that works. Thank you for the help[/quote]Almost all movies nowadays are shot at 16:9, but many DVDs are encoded with the 16:9 image in a 4:3 letterbox (but are not pan & scan). Look for one that says “Anamorphic Widescreen” and shows an aspect ratio of 2.25 or so on the box. These are true widescreen DVDs. Hope the 1.78 setting gives you better results. I think that profile also has a 1.5 setting, you might try that too. Good luck.:slight_smile:

The movie i’m playing around with must be a letterbox widescreen then, and the other that isn’t showing any bars must be a true widescreen. I think I get it now. This program has never failed me, I’m just new to the ipod stuff. Thanks so much for all your help!!!

You’re welcome. Enjoy your Touch.:cool:

My son is getting one for the Holidays , I will be able to test it to see how different it is from the 30gig Gen5 Video IPOD I have now.:smiley:

[quote=alan1476;1928197]My son is getting one for the Holidays , I will be able to test it to see how different it is from the 30gig Gen5 Video IPOD I have now.:D[/quote]Lucky guy!:slight_smile: I will be glad to do a custom profile for him, just send it here, should not take more than a year.:slight_smile: