Iomega not working as high speed USB

I have an Iomega External harddrive that says that it is not plugged into a highspeed hub and will function at a reduced rate. Problem is…it is plugged into a highspeed port. I have tried this HD in 3 different computer all with USB 2.0 and all three say the same thing. It seems the enclosure knows it is USB 2.0 but XP seems to think the USB ports are 1.1 when this drive is plugged in. All of my other devices including flash drives and my Maxtor External drives work fine.

Any thoughts?

[quote=lkaskel;1940447]I have an Iomega External harddrive that says that it is not plugged into a highspeed hub and will function at a reduced rate. Problem is…it is plugged into a highspeed port. I have tried this HD in 3 different computer all with USB 2.0 and all three say the same thing. It seems the enclosure knows it is USB 2.0 but XP seems to think the USB ports are 1.1 when this drive is plugged in. All of my other devices including flash drives and my Maxtor External drives work fine.

Any thoughts?[/quote]
Try a different USB cable. I just got rid of a Dollar Store cable that would sometimes fall back to USB 1.1.

Make sure you get wires that are gold plated for they make better contact.

WOW…The cable itself could cause this? I will try a new cable later. Could the length also be a problem? I am using a 6’ cable with it. I have used this same cable with other devices and it works ok.

Thanks!!!

No 6 foot is fine. Try a better quality gold series one. If that doesn’t do it check the contacts in the Eexternal device make sure they are good.

Lets try this again…When I plug my Iomega drive into the computer the message is that I need to plug it into a high speed USB port as if XP thinks the external drive is 2.0 but the port is not 2.0. This only happens with the Iomega drive and it happens in all 3 of my computers. My Maxtor drives work great and XP see’s the USB ports as high speed. It’s something about the Iomega that is causing XP to look at the ports differently. It’s not that big of a deal it’s now just something to figure out so I can triumph over the problem. I’m guessing the chipset in the Iomega drive is having a conflict with XP. I would think there would be something on Google. Could I be the only one :slight_smile:

Oh well

Thanks!!

Someone also recently posted about a Windows utility called ‘UVCView’ which is a ‘USB Device Checker’ down-loadable from Microsoft. I got a copy and it will tell you among other things what chipset IOMega does use. Google either of the quotes and odds are you’ll find the utility.