Invisible Subs

Hi there. I recently (a couple of days ago) managed to get a DVD burner, so I figured I should get to learning! I thought that maybe I should start with something simple… ripping a DVD. Worked fine! Step two… maybe adding subtitles.

After some digging, I found this thread and followed the instructions. After a bit of trial, error and personal tweaking, I managed to get the subtitles working… but only in the IfoEdit “DVD Play” player. Everything else (mplayer, Media Player Classic, PowerDVD, etc) doesn’t show the subtitles and, as far as I can tell, doesn’t even know they’re there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I’m looking forward to absorbing all kinds of information on this forum. I’ve known about it for some time, but due to my lack of a burner I never really registered until today. =)

Did you re-encode after adding the sub-titles?

No, sir. I only followed the steps in the guide (linked in my previous post), then tried playing the raw files in a few different players. Would re-encoding the movie enable (for lack of a better word) the subtitles?

Were subtitles in the original DVD because rippers/compressors like DVD Shrink & CloneDVD2 will take them over as part of the ripping process?

The only trouble seems to be where the subs are “forced” (always on) in the original DVD. The rip makes these switchable which is a little annoying.

No subtitles on the original DVD. Only adding them for experimental/educational purposes, should I ever have a use for it in the future.