Inverter or backlight bad?

vbimport

Ok, here my problems I bought a used Dell E1505 formatted and got it working but lately since end of last year starting to act funny. Like if you have a program running constantly it would shut to screen saver blacking out the screen - I have W7x86 Ult installed- if you moved the mouse or touch the keypad or keys the screen would come back. But another time if nothing beside the regular task bar items are running the screen would flicker dimmer and then would go dark and no amount of mouse or keys press would bring it back. Only when you force shutdown something which I dread doing when that happens then power on the screen functions would come back working just as normal as before. So I am left with two things either the inverter is bad or backlight is bad? I shined a flashlight to the screen and see nothing on the screen it’s all black. And some have said if the inverter is back there be a image in the back if you shined a flashlight close to the screen? I know the inverter is easier to fix then then the backlight as the backlight requires totall dissambling of the screen itself and that isn’t a simple project to do. So if anyone could give a more clear diagnosis that would help as well??

Just change your settings so the screen stays on. if you see nothing with the flashlight it means your computer is shutting down the screen.
read here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/power-management.aspx

For me, this looks more like a driver related problem as you are able to get your screen working after a (forced) reboot. You may also check event viewer if there are any errors reported.

Screen getting dim after some minutes idle is a feature of Win7 power management. This is configurable in the power management settings of your control panel.

Also, since screensavers are useless (at least on a laptop), make sure, no screensaver is enabled.

Michael

Forgot to mention also it has a IGP from Intel and using Intel drivers for vista on w7 as that was all that was available for it. And once in awhile it would say something like the driver has recovered from shutdown? I was like when I first saw this like what. But subsequently saw my nephew Toshiba 2010 model with ATI drivers show the very same question but didn’t go dead like mine did -Oh yeah I did see that on my other Dell D830 Nvidia GPU do the same thing as well with Nvidia drivers. I don’t recall but be am fairly sure the screen saver isn’t on. Yes, it does flash on the screen dimming it down I see it do it and eventually it does shut off the screen itself and if you move the mouse or touch the keys or keypad it comes back on. But that is if I have a program running not just the regular task bar programs otherwise it would totally shut off the display completely. Leaving a power button off and on to get the display back. So I think that Video driver recovery isn’t limited to just IGP or GPU but both are doing it. But half tempted to just switch the Inverter to see what that would do.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2568169]For me, this looks more like a driver related problem as you are able to get your screen working after a (forced) reboot. You may also check event viewer if there are any errors reported.

Screen getting dim after some minutes idle is a feature of Win7 power management. This is configurable in the power management settings of your control panel.

Also, since screensavers are useless (at least on a laptop), make sure, no screensaver is enabled.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I thought so as well and just this past month did a complete reinstall from the ground up and guess what it goes blank as before…So I think it more deeper then a video driver doing this??? I can leave it idle and it will go dark and dead abut leave a program running and can come right back up from idle…so that means something hardware isn’t recognizing the computer still running and screen should shutoff unless powered off.

There is nothing wrong with the inverter or backlight or drivers, it is the lack of understanding how these things work. You need to do some reading.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2568194]I thought so as well and just this past month did a complete reinstall from the ground up and guess what it goes blank as before…So I think it more deeper then a video driver doing this???[/QUOTE]This laptop was sold long before Win7 hit the shelves. Maybe even before Vista was out.
There could be as well some Bios problem that pops up when Win7’s modern power management kicks in.

What you could also try: get rid of the video driver and let Windows install its own versions.

Michael

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2568203]There is nothing wrong with the inverter or backlight or drivers, it is the lack of understanding how these things work. You need to do some reading.[/QUOTE]

Examples then??? Give help or don’t give…

[QUOTE=mciahel;2568251]This laptop was sold long before Win7 hit the shelves. Maybe even before Vista was out.
There could be as well some Bios problem that pops up when Win7’s modern power management kicks in.

What you could also try: get rid of the video driver and let Windows install its own versions.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Actually the drivers for the laptop are Vista drivers not W7 drivers.

This could be [I]one[/I] problem source. See if you can find updates. Windows Update is not the worst source. Seriously.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2568269]This could be [I]one[/I] problem source. See if you can find updates. Windows Update is not the worst source. Seriously.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Well if that was the problem wouldn’t just letting a program running downloading do the same problem with display going dead? Rather if you let it idle then it would go black and no keys or mouse would turn it back on?? Also the driver was the only latest one from Intel that matched the intel IGP chipset 945 chips. They had none for W7 and from what I read they said drivers in Vista would work with W7. Windows if I recall before I installed the Intel driver installed a WDM windows drivers version for the video.

[A diagnostic step you have omitted which can elimnate the drivers/software/OS as the culprit…

Run the computer connected to an external monitor.

If it still blanks out then the problem is software/OS/Drivers.

If it doesn’t it’s a hardware problem.

The object of trouble shooting it to ELIMINATE things by LOGIC.

It seems to me that everyone here is using what I call “dartboard diagnostics”

Guessing wastes time, creates frustration and does NOT get the problem resolved.

educated guesses should be tempered with eliminating as many things as possible
as quickly as possible, and external monitor will eliminate the Display, inverter and cable
OR Confirm Software//OS video driver or grafix controller.

but I should mention I keep a 32oz hammer in the drawer under my
computer repair bench… It “persuades” recalcitrant computers that
I will only tolerate so much lack of cooperation before I permenantly
eliminate their ability to frustrate me.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2568311]

but I should mention I keep a 32oz hammer in the drawer under my
computer repair bench… It “persuades” recalcitrant computers that
I will only tolerate so much lack of cooperation before I permenantly
eliminate their ability to frustrate me.

AD[/QUOTE]

:doh: Maybe be true as well…time for the heap…if all fails… :doh:

Be nice to hook second monitor but I one have one right now attached being used on my Desktop so I have to go get a used second to do that test.

There is really nothing that prevents you from disconnecting the monitor from your desktop[I] temporarily[/I] (presuming it uses a normal VGA connector instead of a newer DVI or HDMI cable) and connecting it to your notebook (again, [I]temporarily[/I] just to perform the test.

You don’t even need to shut down your desktop to do it

On most Dell notebooks Function + F8 scrolls through the onboard LCD monitor> the attached external monitor > BOTH monitors simutaneously
>Back to the internal LCD.

My recomendation is to set it in both monitors mode and watch it.

I’ve had one glitchy notebook that would shut the monitor down
to save power and was impossible to wake up again…
So I set it to NEVER turn the monitor off on external power
and to wait for over an hour to turn it off when on battery.
Problem solved (well not really but enough to make it
difficult to notice)

“Perfect” is the enemy of “good enough”

AD

AD