Inverted mouse or normal mouse when playing FPS?

Today , after some careful evaluation of Doom III at work , i was stunned that some people only would play the game if the mouse movement was inverted (when you move the mouse forward , the viewpoint in the game goes down).

I hate it , personally i think only flight simulators should have inverted mouse.

Just gimme normal mouse (when you move the mouse forward , the viewpoint goes up).

What do you use ? And WHY ?

Score @ work is at the moment 3 Normal - 3 Inverted :slight_smile: SO i added them in this poll status (6 votes including my own).

Normal I too hate the inverted mouse

Normal it is for me too, i get disorientated eitherwise … i feel like a woman driving a car :slight_smile:

Normal mouse for me too, I can’t play when it is inverted.
Inverted only works with a joystick for me.

I hate it , personally i think only flight simulators should have inverted mouse.

No shit. What are people who prefer inverted movement when playing FPS even thinking? The inverted movement should only be used for flight simulators, ie, Ace Combat. Man, I wish the Ace Combat series is on PC too. PS2’s good, but it’ll look bitchin’ on a PC.

If a game absolutly requires it or if Im at friends and he refuses to change the setting, I can deal with it. But the problem comes for me when I go back to regular mouse, it just all screws me up. So in answer, yes i prefer normal mouse. It seems so much more natural.

Inverted, always inverted.
Does this mean I’m sick?
The reasoning, I guess, is that the inverted movement mimics a joystick. Plus a couple of formative games had inverted as default - I’m thinking of Tie Fighter and Descent - the joystick connection being there obviously.
I’ve also just thought of a sort of real world biological justification, which is that to look up your neck muscles actually have to pull back on your head, and looking down is more of a muscular push-forward motion.
However, it is now so natural I have long since lost the ability to use rational choice in this matter.

Normal for me.

i duno how they do it for fps. you move the mouse where you wanna shoot - not the opposite direction. maybe im messed.

‘Normal’ mouse for me.

Why? I guess its because before I used a mouse I played with the keyboard (Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny and lets not forget Doom and its sequels, those were the days ;)), but my first bout with a mouse with fps games, was Half-Life at a mates place.

He played with ‘normal’ mouse, and it just seemed logical, you move the mouse like you do in the OS.

Another mate plays with inverted, and it really screws me up playing with his config. After a while of playing with his config I cant hit the side of a barn with the sub-machine gun when I go back to my config.

Glad to see another Mr. Belvedere poll, was starting to miss them :slight_smile:

Inverted is the only way to go for me. I guess it goes back to when I played lots of Tie fighter, that was with a joystick though… hmmm…

Originally posted by Farad
Inverted is the only way to go for me. I guess it goes back to when I played lots of Tie fighter, that was with a joystick though… hmmm…

Excellent, someone agrees with me and names the same game. Let’s stick together all ye inverts.

Could it be that inverts are moral relativists - instead of looking up, we move the horizon down, and vice versa.

Rather like when you scroll your mouse wheel down and the page moves… up! Aha! :eek:

How do you survive in the GUI where moving the mouse up corresponds to the cursor moving upwards?

Originally posted by Savannah
How do you survive in the GUI where moving the mouse up corresponds to the cursor moving upwards?

Turn the mouse backwards i would assume.:bigsmile:

Hey, I could get used to that. There must be a utility for inverting though. Time to go google.

OK - found this which is frankly kinky.

Normal always normal. Flying with a mouse is forbidden, “thou shalt always fly with thy joystick in your hand” as the bidding goes. :slight_smile:

Could it be that inverts are moral relativists…

No, I think we inverters just own so hard that most people can’t handle TEH L33T.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :cool: :cool: :cool:
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Originally posted by Farad
[B]

No, I think we inverters just own so hard that most people can’t handle TEH L33T.
[/B]

so far you “own” with 7 … us normals have a mere 22 votes :slight_smile:

But when the rox and combos start flying, those 22 are gonna get worked. :stuck_out_tongue: