Invalid DVD Navigation Structure?

I read this in another forumn and wanted to bring this to James’s attention over at slysoft. I was able to confirm same issue, works fine with older version 5.6.3.1.
Here is what was posted.
"I think I have cracked the problem as I tried to backup Half Baked, Bruce Almighty and Hulk today. All of which brought about this error. I replied to a similar thread complaining of the same error with the latest versions of AnyDVD (The 5.7.1,2 and 3.1 series that were all released within a few days of each other, the first two being REALLY close) and 40 Year Old Virgin.

Well Cinderella Man, American Pie Band Camp, Hulk, Bruce Almighty, Half Baked AND 40 Year Old Virgin are all Universal Studios DVD’s. Now I have backed up clost to 200 DVD’s before this latest version of AnyDVD and have used it for the majority of them but I find it VERY hard to believe that it is ANYTHING OTHER THAN the latest version of AnyDVD seeing as before the new release I expierienced no problems with 23 other Universal titles.

With the latest version it appears that AnyDVD -->ADDS<-- encryption to the discs by accident (possible a mistyped key in the source code or something) seeing as I NEVER have seen this before.

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
------>>>>>>Found & removed invalid VOBUs!<<<<<---------
Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

So if someone with a version of AnyDVD pre-5.7.?.1 can verify my theory by putting an older (we’ll say before 2002) and a newer (released within the past few months, 40 year old virgin is a good one) Universal Studios title in their DVD drive and see if AnyDVD says that about finding and removing invalid VOBU’s, it would be much appreaciated as I think I am on to something."

My bird on the wire gave the exact same setting statement about the vobu’s as yours. And i got the navigation error. I disabled anydvd 5731 and dvdshrink did the job fine by itself with nothing running to decrypt it in the background (DVDshrink done its own devrypting). So Anydvd definitely caused the invalid navigation error when it wasnt even present on the disk in this instance.

I too Am seeing the same thing with War of the Worlds… using shrink 5.7.3.1 and 5.7.2.1 disabling anydvd and Shrink works fine…

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 5.7.3.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Video DVD (or CD) label: WAR_OF_THE_WORLDS
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Changed firstplay: Jump directly to Title 2!
Found & removed invalid VOBUs!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.

Message to Slysoft Support please research.

I’m having the same problem backing up Cinderella Man. AnyDVD 5.7.2.1, CloneDVD 2.8.5.1. I’m trying it in a different drive, and [so far] it’s working fine, but it’s not yet half-way done reading/transcoding.

It could still be a bad source disc (see thread 1 and thread 2 regarding the bad media theory, and just specific notes about this disc), but now that I see this thread, I’m leaning toward this issue. I’d never seen the “invalid VOBUs” message before, so I thought that was strange.

I suppose it’s time to point SlySoft to this thread.

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 5.7.2.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Video DVD (or CD) label: CINDERELLA_MAN
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Found & removed invalid VOBUs!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.

has anyone who has posted in this thread about having a problem tried emailing a link to this thread to slysoft?

I’m sure if they were alerted to the issue, they’d keep everyone updated via the forum on what’s being done about it.

Reasonsnotrules-I just did as you requested.

Hmm, interestingly enough, Cinderella Man copied correctly in the other drive. It was originally read from a Sony DDU1612 (from which it failed), but when it was switched to a Sony DRU-500A, it worked fine. It did copy slower (I assume the DRU-500A has a lower rip speed), but it copied.

I’ll post back when I try to backup American Pie Band Camp, which will likely be tomorrow.

I would like to add myself to the list of users experincing the VOB Address our of range issue on some DVDs. I’ve backed down to ANYDvd 5.6.3.1. Problem gone.
The problem only occurs when the current ANYDvd reports invalid VOBU on the Show Information page.
I did send a report to Slysoft and received a reply that they are DVD Shrink issues but this also affects Nero Recode 2 on my machine.
Disabling ANYDvd allowed DVDShrink to process the backup without issue.
It is interesting to me that the last two releases of ANYDvd mention VOBU processing in the change history. I think something is “not quite right” with ANYDvd and the way it is handling some VOBUs.
I have two Plextor PX-716UF drives with 1.09 firmware and the failure occurs on both.
J

this isn’t surprising at all. DVD Shrink is dead because the developer went to work for Nero on…you guessed it, RECODE!

and can you tell me when the last time Recode was updated? I sure as heck can’t! haha

I think this even FURTHER supports that the problem is with Shrink/Recode and isn’t a conspiracy by slysoft. We can only expect Slysoft to make our dead software work for so long before those programs are gone for good.

In the interest of keeping customers happy though, I’m sure they’ll give it a shot, but Slysoft is right when they say it really isn’t their problem…although that hasn’t stopped them from making fixes for it in the past so lets just hope they’re feeling charitable :slight_smile:

It is possible that a recent change in AnyDVD upsets DVDShrink or Nero Recode. Unfortunately nobody has sent .ifo files of some titles which show this problem. No information = no fix.

I don’t have this issue so I have no input, but if anyone is having problems and wants something done about it, do like James said and send them the ifos.

directions on how to do so are here in case anyone was unsure about what to do.

Heres the bird on a wire IFO’s uploaded to a Rapidshare. (all my email programs do not allow sending zips,)

http://rapidshare.de/files/10515128/Bird_On_A_Wire_UK-R2.zip.html

Where do we email the ifo files to again? I have mine ready to go.

read the directions in my post 2 posts above. there’s a link to a post that explains how to send the IFOs in detail

Peparing ifo fles now, did not do it correctly the first time.

if i were you i’d edit that post to not include the slysoft email address…there’s a reason we don’t post email addresses without interrupters.

when you link like that spam bots can pick up the address, and I’m sure slysoft doens’t want that.

Everyone having this problem, must send ifo files to slysoft support staff. Here is a the link that gives you instructions. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=888927&postcount=29

I most certainly did send you a set if IFO files via email using the procedure documented in this forum.
2 days ago.
J
Edit: PS. I just resent them again for good measure.

I have the same problem with “Broken Files”, I’ve also sent IFO’s. But I made a perfect back up using CloneDVD2.