Introduction plus a few questions

Hi guys just figured I’d say hi I just joined this forum because I’m trying to learn myself about burning cd’s and the different file types music comes in AAC MP3 all that good stuff.

so here’s what i’m trying to do. I have a very nice stereo in my car that I custom built. All polk audio,Jl audio and eclipse stuff. I like it. I’m trying to burn Cd’s that will display the song track info on the head unit. If i’m not mistaken to do this all I have to do is click the “burn cd text” box on my program I use to burn. I don’t use Nero (i’m looking at getting it) I use the programs that come with the different music download sites I use. Napster of late and Itunes are what I use most. Napster now becuz itunes hates vista 64-bit. So I assume that activating Cd text would allow me to do so and have my song names displayed? I assume my cd burner is capable of doing it since the icon is there and allows the use. Its a sony dvdrw drive that came with the computer brand new two months ago.

also my question is about the difference between burning music as an “audio CD” and a “Data CD”. I was very hard pressed to find differences other than that an “audio CD” is using the general format that almost all CD’s that you would buy in a store use. and that a “Data CD” burns the actual file whether it be Mp3 WMA AAC. also I noticed an audio CD could fit mebbe 18 songs at best where as a Data Disc can hold almost ten fold. I’m in the process of trial and error with doing this I have no blank discs atm (ran out) and I plan to test using audio cd with cd text, as well as a data disc. from what I can tell you don’t add CD text with cd’s burned in the data format. since it isn’t an option with any once the burner is set to data.

Is there any difference in quality between audio and data type? I mean all my songs are downloaded from reputable sights that have a good bit rate- (is that what it’s called right bit rate) which the bit rate is like the quality of the music file? All I believe are 128kbps or higher (is that goood i’m assuming so)
any help with this would be much appreciated. also a question about Nero. from what i’ve heard Nero is the best burner program no? would I be able to use that program to say burn songs I download using napster or Itunes? I’m not sure because sometimes protected music is very strange about how it is burned.

appreciate the help guys. I hope to become more coherent with Cd’s in the future

Welcome to the forum, 128kbps is almost cd quality, I would go higher like 160Kbps to be cd quality. I recommend Roxio Easy Creator 9 or 10, they are perfect for this for I put almost 200 hundred songs on 1 cd at this Kbps rate and very easy to use with a ton of other features. Think No… for Nero. Roxio Rules!! JMO of coarse. :bigsmile:

Eek, I wouldn’t touch Roxio with a bargepole! That thing was just unstable and useless when I last bothered with it!

I’d recommend Nero over Roxio any day if you’re buying software to do the job.

[QUOTE=TheShiznat;1970713]also my question is about the difference between burning music as an “audio CD” and a “Data CD”. I was very hard pressed to find differences other than that an “audio CD” is using the general format that almost all CD’s that you would buy in a store use. and that a “Data CD” burns the actual file whether it be Mp3 WMA AAC. also I noticed an audio CD could fit mebbe 18 songs at best where as a Data Disc can hold almost ten fold. I’m in the process of trial and error with doing this I have no blank discs atm (ran out) and I plan to test using audio cd with cd text, as well as a data disc. from what I can tell you don’t add CD text with cd’s burned in the data format. since it isn’t an option with any once the burner is set to data.
[/QUOTE]

AudioCD refers to CDDA according to the RedBook Standard.

AudioCD has to have Audio in 16-bit, 44100Hz, stereo on it, nothing else.

A “Data CD” can have kinda any content on it, regardless if audio, video, data…regardless in which format.

with nero and roxio how do they work with music that is downloaded legally and has the DRM stuff on it. will it still work with that or will the fact that the songs are protected not allow them to be burned using another program???

I see 128kbps is near cd. How would I go to getting it up to 160 kbps. I don’t have a large library of songs on this computer so dumping napster and itunes and going somewhere else with higher quality is a ok. because from what I can see napster and Itunes can only go up to 128kbps. are their simple converters that do this??

I was just looking at windows media player on my comp and it seems to be able to burn a data disc and convert it up to 160 or higher. but it doesn’t have the ability to do CD text. I’m guessing this is where getting a better program such as nero or roxio comes in. it can do everything i would need.

also other than the fact that audio cd’s are just the standard format CDDA is there any other advantage of that to a data disc or a data disc over audio disc. The only problem I see with data disc is that i woudln’t be able to use my itunes music because it is AAC and my headunit can’t read AAC. it can read WMA and MP3. It can play itunes stuff burned as audio cd though because I’ve done that.

i appreciate the help guys I will start looking at getting a good burning program. any that I should avoid when it comes to vista 64-bit OS?

o and one more thing, whoever moved this thread, thank you I had no idea where to put this so I just put it in the offtopic forum hoping that would be ok or someone would move it for me. because I was clueless. thanks for the help everyone here is so nice it’s awesome.

bump

I use Roxio 9 and Tunebite for all of my car cd’s.