Introduction and help question!

Hi guys

Mark here from Ireland

I downloaded a Directx 10 for XP without checking if the game I was playing was compatible, WoW

there were no problems with WoW, for some reason I thought that upgrading would make it a bit better looking. Now it can’t run as it needs 9.0c to run.

I’ve been all over the place looking for solutions to a roll back and have found a few programs such as Happy Uninstall and Directx Eradicator. Unfortunately i cannot afford the licence for happy uninstall right now. the only versions of Eradicator I can find are up to 9.0c and not 10. Also I do not have the xp installation disc so am reluctant to run Eradicator to see if it will even work with 10. I do have Directx downloads from the microsoft site, and there is a version on a WoW game disc. Can Eradicator use either of these to successfully roll back to 9.0c?

Also with all the searching I’ve done I’ve found that Directx 10 is only compatible with Vista, I wish I had searched that first!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

[QUOTE=SamSpudz;2272493]Hi guys

Mark here from Ireland

I downloaded a Directx 10 for XP without checking if the game I was playing was compatible, WoW

there were no problems with WoW, for some reason I thought that upgrading would make it a bit better looking. Now it can’t run as it needs 9.0c to run.

I’ve been all over the place looking for solutions to a roll back and have found a few programs such as Happy Uninstall and Directx Eradicator. Unfortunately i cannot afford the licence for happy uninstall right now. the only versions of Eradicator I can find are up to 9.0c and not 10. Also I do not have the xp installation disc so am reluctant to run Eradicator to see if it will even work with 10. I do have Directx downloads from the microsoft site, and there is a version on a WoW game disc. Can Eradicator use either of these to successfully roll back to 9.0c?

Also with all the searching I’ve done I’ve found that Directx 10 is only compatible with Vista, I wish I had searched that first!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Yo-

If you just did it - you could try a “System Restore” - going back to just before you upgraded-eh

Hi Sam,

First off I’d try a system restore.
You may have to do a “repair” installation of XP since DirectX 10 is an integral part of the OS

[Edit] Hi Mike, at least I’m consistent…always type at geriatric speed…:doh:

um forgot to mention the system restore points were deleted, I had a very small hard drive and only just bought a portable HD and never thought to change the settings. The restore points were taking up a big chunk of the HD space. Believe me I’m kicking myself for that one.

thank you for your reply.

As BigMike said, a system restore might work. Try it first. Edit: ok, not in the cards

If not, I found this thread online about removing DX 10 from XP: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?t=4196

Do I need the XP disc for a repair install? As I Cannot find it. Laptop is about 3 years old and I’ve moved house since it was purchased, I can find every other disc just not the one I need most!

Use this 30 day free trail

[QUOTE=SamSpudz;2272502]Do I need the XP disc for a repair install? [/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, yes.

@ Kerry, tried that and it’s not working, there’s no available update on the MS DL site. also trying to install from the DX DL i got earlier from the site leads to an internal error, which recommends I check the logfiles but access is denied, I’m the admin on this comp so not sure what that’s about.

@Jethro, tried that but AVG is not letting me use it, comes up with WIN32/PolyCrypt but does not give any info about it on their site.

Thank you all for your replies.

It is a false positive, it needs to have your av off to run since it accesses your system files. I would not let you get a virus. After you use it you can uninstall it, it has an uninstaller.

Thanks. Yeah AVG is a bit touchy like that. I’ll try it again.

Edit: it’s refusing to work. system message says I do not have permission to use that file. Odd as everything else I’ve tried is working. Except DX!

go to “run” type in dxdiag it should open the dx utility see what it says and run some of the tests.

well after trying everything you guys posted I went for eradicator, Luckily a neighbour had an XP disc so I was able to reinstall from there. But the dxdiag was missing, so I searched and found a new one! Directcx is showing up as version 8.1. Running the tests it now says my graphics card is unable to run directx 9. Which it was doing fine up until I went and made that dumb mistake of installing 10.

I’m now trying to find what could be wrong with the graphics card!

Thanks for taking the time to help a newb out with a dumb mistake!

DirectX 8.1? :confused: Where did you get that from?

Seems you totally messed up your Windows installation.
You may try a repair install using an install disc with integrated SP3, or reinstall your system from scratch, then apply SP3 (if your install disc is pre-SP1, you need SP1 installed first).

And note: get any Windows related files from MS website only.

Michael

It’s whats showing! something has disabled on the graphics card, and so 9.0c is not enabling. I’ve DLd a new driver from Dell and just about to install.

The upgrade I’ve tried to install is the 9.0c direct from the MS website.

Edit: I didn’t reinstall windows or do a repair, I used Directx Eradicator and only installed the necessary files from an XP disc.

I didn’t do the repair as I don’t know how to do that, yet! goin to google to see what I can find.

I give up!!

I cannot figure out what is wrong and don’t want to go through the hassle of a windows reinstall. The XP disc is an unattended one and so I don’t particularly want to go down that road of installing pirated software onto the computer.

I could do with a break from WoW anyway!!

Good luck guys thanks for the help and suggestions.