Intro with a GCC-4481B problem

Hi All, I am a gramma trying to catch up with the 'puter age that left me behind in the days of PCI cards and SDRAM:doh:BUT!!..the good news is I found CDF!!:bigsmile:…Anyway, I am an ‘ol timer’ with PC games dating back to the 1980’s and units almost as old to run these MS-DOS based gems. I have 11 computers now of various genres to run all the software I have collected in the last 25 years.

My BIGGEST problem right now is trying to get a HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B combo drive to read media, or even open up in the properties section of XP. I end up having to hard boot it sometimes. I have tried restoring it, too.

I got this computer for an elderly couple, but the drive won’t read much of anything. I have reinstalled the driver numerous times as suggested in this forum, but nothing seems to help. I have other drives, as I said, and the media, CD, CDRW, DVD will read, so it’s good. I bought this computer on eBay for these folks and want to make sure it works before I take it to them.

I have been in contact with the seller and he is supposed to get back with me, as it has a 30 day warranty and is sealed to prevent me from tampering’ :(.

It fires up, but seems to jump? hiccup?, something, being a very audible drive. I can get some to read, but not many.

Any suggestions from the gurus out there in CDF Land? It would have to be a software suggestion at this point, I realize, because I can’t get into it; I have also checked on the firmware update and it is up to date.
Thanks for reading and any help!
Noeth