Intro (Lite-On LH-20A1P)

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LH-20A1P. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi to all — I am a ‘newb’ to the forum. Been around puters since 89 but I still get in over my head.

I reformatted my drive — loaded a fresh (legal) xp pro and things have worked fine. My problem is that I tried accessing my 2 dvd drives – 1 read-only and the other the lite-on DVD-RW. Device manager shows both of them but with the yellow exclamation. I uninstalled and then realized that I did not have the disks to re-load the drivers. Make a long story short — I went to the Lite-on website ---- D/L the driver for the model but it will not accept. It says it is the wrong model — I have not “flashed” a drive in a while . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Welcome to the forums adolfojm.

I think you are confusing device drivers with firmware for you optical drive. The drivers for your optical drives are contained in the XP operating system (unless you are using an Nvidia based chipset motherboard and are using the really crappy Nvidia IDE drivers). The generic drivers in XP are the ones to use for IDE interface drives.

What did you uninstall? Did you uninstall the optical drives? They should show up again after rebooting. It may not solve the problem though. Are these drives IDE interface or SATA? If they are IDE, you can uninstall the IDE controller for the optical drive in Device Manager, reboot and this may solve the problem. Make certain that you are uninstalling the IDE controller for the optical drive…NOT one that controls your hard drive containing your operating system.

Seems, it’s the upper/lower filters thingy again:

adolfojm, please have a look at this MS support article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060