Interpreting PI/PO error scans

These error scans are not done by software, but instead, it’s done by the drive and the errors are reported by the firmware. The software acts merely as a messenger. So unless the firmware supports the reporting of such errors, there would be no way to do such scans. LiteOn drives were (by a long shot) the first drives to support reporting errors. A few other drive types (ones with Nexperia chipsets–Nu and BenQ) now support reporting errors, but AFAIK, Panasonic does not.

CD-DVD Speed (www.cdspeed2000.com) can handle non-LiteOn drives, but only if those drives support error reporting.

Thanks,

Panasonic has some diagnostic software that comes eith the drive, but I don’t know if it tells you anything about the media. Nero has some media diagnostics, but I think it’s bare-bones.

I’ll keep looking.

I have a very n00b question.
Is there a test file avalible for burning so I can compare my Kprobe scans over different firmwares and media?
seems to me if I backup a badly scratched DVD I will get more errors than if I use a new DVD. What is the standard here?

You can use any file or a set of files. It can be a movie or lots of small data files. Then you can create an ISO image and burn it with different firmwares and media. Just make sure the file(s) take up the max capacity of the media.

I had to share this as I figured someone would get a laugh. Being new to this I recognized the PI <= 280 and PO <=4 rule when using KProbe. I had recently mod’d my firmware to allow 4X burning on RICOHJPNR00. I tried a 4X burn and then tried KProbe (2.1.0). I freaked when I saw >3000 total PI errors. I retried the burn at 2.4X and ended up with a scan of PI max 7, 0.33 avg, 3125 total, PO max 2, 0.00 avg, 187 total. I couldn’t figure out how to get things correct until I found this thread. Geez.

Needless to say I’m much more confident in my drive’s ability now. :slight_smile: (Sony DRU700A). Guess I’ll have to try the 4X over again, and possibly higher eh? :wink: Thanks again for this wonderful information!!

Is there a program that’s similar to kprobe but works for other drives? e.g. it has the similar PI/PO graph like kprobe

DVD Info Pro and CDDVD Speed for BenQ, NuTech, Philips (and possibly other Nexperia chipset drives) + LiteOn (and possibly other LiteON OEMs and other Mediatek based drives with correct firmware).

Plextools Pro for Plextor PX-712.

None that are public for Nec or Pioneer at this point in time.

Do NEC drives(specifically the 2510A) not support error reporting?

Mixter, could you share with us what you fixed or corrected???

The only thing I changed really was the original firmware on the drive to change it to allow 4X burning on RICOHJPNR00 media, and to auto-bitset to DVD-ROM when burning. Or did you mean something else? I’m currently away from my main computer - but hope to try upping the media to 8X and giving it another go. If my readings are correct and the burn was pretty successful at 4X, why not try higher right? :slight_smile:

FYI:

POs are now renamed PIF in Kprobe2 and CDSpeed3 this doesnt change the meaning just a change in terminology. It stands for Parity Inner Failures.

Found my answer, removed.

Having read all of this thread, I have a question regarding using media for backup of files instead of for playback. Should the same PI/PIF #s be a guideline for data Dvds or is that more concerned with reading in a non burner. I have some Prodisc S03 Dvd-r Media burned with a lite-on 812s (current firmware - not flashed with 832s) that kprobe results are horrid (PI average of 600+/PIF of 50+) but they still read and I have done crc compares of the files to the original and all seems well with the world. Am I missing something?

For data you may be ok for a while. But, Higher Error rates can eventually lead to Physical errors on the disk over time. It is known that PI/PIF’s gradually become higher over time. Thus, with error rates as you are stating, the potential of your disk becoming unreadable is greater than a low error disk.

I am using Nero CD-DVD speed in order to evaluate my DVDs and I have two questions:

Will low reflectivity and eccentricity show as PI errors when I’m using this program?

I always get a lot of errors in the middle of the test. Does this mean that all my discs are bad at the edge of the disc? (I asssume that the middle of the disc is when it changes to the inner layer and starts going towards the center again, is that a correct assumption)

helloo folks,

i am quite new to that testing procedures, like with kprobe and dvdinfo but there are a few questions :

are k-probe results independent of :

1 . the test data written on the medium - if not what kind of data are best to put on for probing (white noise video data looped to fill the medium ?? )

1. the writer-brand / write speed used to create the test medium - if yes the burner and the used firmware should be included in the test result.

another one - whats about kprobe 2.x ? any better then the older discussed version here ?

enough for now

cheers - ahab666

Hi all,
Recently purchased 2 x spindles of Verbatim DatalifePlus, printable, +r, 4x, here in Australia. One spindle gives low PI but more PIF errors, the other is opposite, and getting very consistant results. Just wondering what people opinions are of which of these two scans they would prefer?

BTW - both burned with liteon 812s @ 832s with VSOB & Ommipatcher with recommended tweaks + bitsetting.

1 = Lower PIF

or

2 = lower PI scores

Thanks

Mick

Excellent question… anyone have an answer?

I’m interested in an answer also.

Both scans have excellent PI values, both should read fine.
PIF values are fine too but the first is certainly better.

Just a gut reaction but I think I would prefer the disks with the lower PIF values.
Can someone offer something scientific?

And why does one spindle consistantly give lower PIF but higher PI?

Noob here with all the scanning…
I have been trying to figure out what’s going to work for me. I’ve got data that I need to be sure will stay around for a decent length of time.

I’ve been testing and I’ve been having issues with my liteon drive and I’m trying to figure out how to best “fix” the problem. The problem is with the ramps at the ends of the discs in both PI and PIF values.

The attachments are from full burns on two drives, liteon 451S and a NEC 2500A. I used two different +R media types, ritek R03 and TY T02 discs 8x discs burned at 2.4x speeds.

Each disc was suppose to be burned at 2x altough one noted may have been 8x. THe potential 8x burn looks very different from all the 2x burns.

I’ve read that sometimes burning slower than 1/2 the media max can give problems, but I’m still wanting to burn slow.

The liteon drive has huge problems with -R discs, so these tests were done with +R discs only.

The values of PI and PIF don’t seem to go too crazy (or do I not understand how to read the values), right?

It looks to me like the NEC gives better burns with both types of media, am I right about that?