Internet

vbimport

Is it possible, and if so, is there software to connect to the internet on my friends broadband? It can be done with wifi, but at limited distances. I’m curious if anyone has researched this before, and has advice to give me. Thanks :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=chewybits;2461556]Is it possible, and if so, is there software to connect to the internet on my friends broadband? It can be done with wifi, but at limited distances. I’m curious if anyone has researched this before, and has advice to give me. Thanks :)[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of besides wifi but that is limited by range and any obstruction from your wifi to his computer. Your friend shouldn’t need any software besides the browser IE or FF or Opera to get to the net since the friend already has broadband. And if the friend doesn’t have a wifi setup there is no way for you to get onto the net. Also is there a reason why you need your friends broadband to go to the net do you not have you own broadband access?? Does the friend know you want to do this?? Just to remind you wifi freeloading to me is unethical if the friend doesn’t give permission to use their paid broadband usage.

he doesn’t really use his computer. Basically I get done, what he doesn’t know how to do. The only reason he will use it, is when he searches for movies to buy from amazon. He pays for his internet at the moment. He have shared cost of a DVD burner, and at the end of the month for a larger harddrive. He has a huge collection of dvd movies, and we want to back them up, and download movies as well (legal ones of course). I am renovation my apartment for the next 3 months at the most. So I’m here basically 24/7. We are going to be making some money to help payback for the internet each month, and the cost of the upgrades. I however, will be wanting to use the internet at my place when everything is finished. I don’t leach off other peoples wifi, nor do I agree that it’s wrong. I know if I were to be living across the street, we would easily be able to share wifi. I live about 25 minute walk away and realize that it would be very difficult to connect to his wifi, if not impossible. But I am curious if I can telnet and browse the internet that way. Either way, I hate when I don’t answer my questions, so that’s why I posted this.

What you doing is still against all computer user rules using someone else internet for your use. And since your living away from where your friend lives asking what your doing is unethical in any form or fashion. Since you and your friend are 25 minutes away just get your own internet until you two share the same apartment. That is called proper usage of the internet. Only time someone else uses another internet by any means other then in their local network and permission is called hacking. That by itself is immoral and plus how would you telnet to him if you don’t have your own internet access either DSL or cable as each of those have their specific IP and subscriber ID and PSWD. So rather then in the end each should get their own internet til both share the same apartment then you two can swith to one account where both would have a network setup and either one can go on the net when they want to.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2462533]What you doing is still against all computer user rules using someone else internet for your use. [/QUOTE]

Who’s rules?

If my neighbors are foolish enough to have an unsecured network, you can expect me to use it if my broadband connection goes down. It’s the neighborly thing to do. I would expect my neighbors to do the same if I lacked the common sense to secure my network.

Lecturing about morals, ethics and proper internet usage is great if it makes you feel better, in the real world it accomplishes nothing.

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2462575]Who’s rules?

If my neighbors are foolish enough to have an unsecured network, you can expect me to use it if my broadband connection goes down. It’s the neighborly thing to do. I would expect my neighbors to do the same if I lacked the common sense to secure my network.

Lecturing about morals, ethics and proper internet usage is great if it makes you feel better, in the real world it accomplishes nothing.[/QUOTE]

In the real world this is called stealing, and it is illegal :wink:

Well that depends on where you live. The legal system is complicated and varies from state to state.

My neighbor’s open network is “intruding” into my home, spamming my machines with invitations to join it’s party, I would not be stealing anything.

There may be a moral issue, but as the laws are written in my state go, there is no legal one.

[QUOTE=geno888;2462631]In the real world this is called stealing, and it is illegal ;)[/QUOTE]

Short and to the point regardless as the MOD says and which I agree to stealing is stealing there no between the lines. I tried to reason with them but guess reasoning with someone already decided to steal anothers’ internet doesn’t work anymore.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2462746]Short and to the point regardless as the MOD says and which I agree to stealing is stealing there no between the lines. I tried to reason with them but guess reasoning with someone already decided to steal anothers’ internet doesn’t work anymore.[/QUOTE]

What’s the difference between living with my friend and living on my own. If we shared the internet either or, we would still be sharing the internet. Stealing is another thing all together. Would you be less concerned if we shared the cost of the internet? I was under the impression that you can telnet with a modem from one computer to another without having internet access. I can afford my own connection, this is purely, yes “hacking”, because I need to know! That’s why I’m not a drop out, I love learning :slight_smile: But yea, highschool sucks, everything your taught is old knowledge. Gotta go, supper is ready. Do I sound like a women when I tell you that I slave all day in the kitchen? My friend does :frowning: I’m to good of a cook to let someone else do it… yada ydad… by the way. I’m a hacker now, finally got my title. I’m going to email rms. :smiley:

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2462735]Well that depends on where you live. The legal system is complicated and varies from state to state.

My neighbor’s open network is “intruding” into my home, spamming my machines with invitations to join it’s party, I would not be stealing anything.

There may be a moral issue, but as the laws are written in my state go, there is no legal one.[/QUOTE]

In the UK that is an offence under the Theft Act and would get you a criminal record, also a fine. It is the same as your neighbour tapping into your electrical supply after the meter and leaching the electricity that you will have to pay for. I would also add that I find your moral standpoint indefensible.

just for kicks, I would like to say that anything that is natural and part of our ecosystem can not be stolen. From Satellite to radio to wifi. You can’t propriety something natural, They’re is radio waves all over the universe. I wonder if Aliens will come and charge me for listening to their radio waves? Or maybe the prime-minister will charge me for eating the wild strawberries that grow in the field. Or maybe I shouldn’t eat the apples that roll into my yard from my neighbors yard. You know what would be cool? Is if these moral folk research the electric universe and nicola tesla’s wireless electricity. I love how we live in a world where we’re to ignorant to think for ourselves and hang on to every word the government rules. I’m going to go burn a witch!:cop:

If someone else is paying for it and you take it without their consent you are stealing it, if you cannot see that it will be no excuse before a court, civil or criminal.

Did I say I was going to do any of that?

[QUOTE=weedougie;2462808]In the UK that is an offence under the Theft Act and would get you a criminal record, also a fine. It is the same as your neighbour tapping into your electrical supply after the meter and leaching the electricity that you will have to pay for. I would also add that I find your moral standpoint indefensible.[/QUOTE]

Are the broadband connections in the UK so unreliable that I would have to use my neighbors open network? In the 5 years I’ve been at my current address I’ve experienced one extended outage, when AT&T came to my home to transition me from ADSL to U-Verse. In the 4 years at my previous residence I experienced no extended outages.

My moral compass is fine and in no need of defense to you or anybody for that matter.

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2462735]

My neighbor’s open network is “intruding” into my home, spamming my machines with invitations to join it’s party, [B]I would not be stealing anything.[/B]

[/QUOTE]

That say’s it all really. If you don’t want to be misunderstood, choose your words more wisely.

[QUOTE=chewybits;2461556]Is it possible, and if so, is there software to connect to the internet on my friends broadband? It can be done with wifi, but at limited distances. I’m curious if anyone has researched this before, and has advice to give me. Thanks :)[/QUOTE] Sure, if you can somehow have access to that broadband modem or via his computer. You can also use a Linux Operating System to hack into the system.

[QUOTE=weedougie;2463248]That say’s it all really. If you don’t want to be misunderstood, choose your words more wisely.[/QUOTE]

You take offense to the fact that I live in a state that has no law against using your neighbors open wireless network.

Therein lies the problem, not in my choice of words.

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2463570]You take offense to the fact that I live in a state that has no law against using your neighbors open wireless network.

Therein lies the problem, not in my choice of words.[/QUOTE]

No I cannot understand your lack of moral fibre where you think it is right to take something not belonging to you just because there is no particular law against it. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should or that it is morally right.
It appears that the US is light years behind in this field of law.
If some one piggy backs on an open port and then hacks a sensitive federal computer should the person who pays for the internet access go to prison or the person who does the illegal act? It appears that you think the person paying is culpable whether or not they have the computing skill to close the port, so granny or granddad or 12 years old Tommy should go to prison?

Perhaps you think I am playing semantics with you but I don’t see it as taking when it is freely available in my home. I do not have to do anything to use it, indeed, I have to configure my wireless machines to NOT use his network. That is where I draw the distinction. I see it as the responsibility of the owner to secure the network. The legal system in my state agrees with my interpretation of the law. I understand that other states view the act as a criminal one, even though I personally do not agree.

It isn’t that the US is behind, it’s that the legal system is flawed and/or bloated with laws that are open to interpretation. If the process were simplified or at the very least laws were written in language that could be understood, half of them could be eliminated altogether. On second thought, maybe we are behind the times.

To answer your question about piggybacking, that is obvious, you go after the one who committed the crime. I’m not sure how you incorrectly inferred that I would prosecute the clueless neighbor.