Internet service providers that do not require a modem or router

vbimport

Since I am finding it just about impossible to set up my pc to be able to work with wifi, it seems it can only get the internet to it & no other computer, & since the computer with internet access is located in the kitchen, which I dont want to be in to go online, are there internet service providers that one can get that do not need a modem & router or any other hard ware but the computer?

What you’re asking doesn’t make any sense, read your other thread or ask a friend / technician who’s more knowledgeable…
//Danne

The easiest thing to do then is just buy a wired router and some Ethernet patch cables
to run to your other PC’s in the house. I just do not trust wifi connections anyway they
are to hard to keep secure and to hard to maintain sometimes, just give me a plain old
wired connection and then I’m a happy camper. :bigsmile:

There’s nothing wrong with the equipment / ISP, he/she just doesn’t know how to do it.
//Danne

[QUOTE=getit29;2515172]The easiest thing to do then is just buy a wired router and some Ethernet patch cables
to run to your other PC’s in the house. I just do not trust wifi connections anyway they
are to hard to keep secure and to hard to maintain sometimes, just give me a plain old
wired connection and then I’m a happy camper. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

can you give me some links? I have attempted to set up a wireless connection with an apple airport extreme, with my at & t DSL modem, with the main pc in the kitchen, but it has proven to be very difficult & frustrating, there are kinds of complicated settings with the airport & the modem, when I hooked the 2 together, neither seemed to work completely, the apple software that came with the router could not connect to the internet. I tried to look up my problem online & I came across an article that said to put the modem in bridge mode. This was a mess, I lost all internet connection altogether, I had to call at & t tech support to reset the modem & get internet access again. I do not want to mess with the modem settings at all, & lose it’s functionality. So simple plug ins with no software & system changes to make things worse would be good.

The odd thing was I could connect online & my ipod touch could connect to the wifi network as well, but the apple software could not open & set up the apple router.

So at this point, I am about ready to give up on a wireless network, my pc is not capable of it, nor does the apple router seem to be.

are there any wired router models you can suggest? I have a pc in the kitchen, running windows service pack 2, with at & t DSL modem, with a single Ethernet & DSL line coming out of the back.

I would like to be able to use/hook up a macbook laptop to the router for internet access, so I can use the laptop in another room.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2515210]There’s nothing wrong with the equipment / ISP, he/she just doesn’t know how to do it.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Yes this has proven to be very difficult, I dont not have any friends who know anything about this stuff, I live in a isolated rural area. It would also be hard to call a technician, they charge alot by the hour I cant afford 100+ dollars to pay someone to hookup a wifi system for me.

you asked in a previous post to me about an IP number, My modem has 192.168.0.1, if you look this up, please dont make any changes to it, I went through a whole ordeal with bridge mode, & lost all connectivity to the internet. The modem is a SpeedStream5100.

when the apple router was hooked up, & when I tried to get the airport utility to open up to set up the apple router, I would get error -4; an error occurred trying to access the apple wireless device.Make sure your network connection is valid & try again.

[QUOTE=Sossity;2515214]YIt would also be hard to call a technician, they charge alot by the hour I cant afford 100+ dollars to pay someone to hookup a wifi system for me.[/QUOTE] Well, find someone cheap. Hang around some radio shack and promise $20 or something.

[QUOTE=Sossity;2515214]Yes this has proven to be very difficult, I dont not have any friends who know anything about this stuff, I live in a isolated rural area. It would also be hard to call a technician, they charge alot by the hour I cant afford 100+ dollars to pay someone to hookup a wifi system for me.

you asked in a previous post to me about an IP number, [B]My modem has 192.168.0.1[/B], if you look this up, please dont make any changes to it, I went through a whole ordeal with bridge mode, & lost all connectivity to the internet. The modem is a SpeedStream5100.

when the apple router was hooked up, & when I tried to get the airport utility to open up to set up the apple router, I would get error -4; an error occurred trying to access the apple wireless device.Make sure your network connection is valid & try again.[/QUOTE]

Dude, this is the internal IP, has nothing to do with external (WAN). And you can even change it if you want.

[B]I would start reading the devices manuals.[/B]

So, your modem uses NAT which you need to disable…
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2515349]So, your modem uses NAT which you need to disable…
//Danne[/QUOTE]

What is NAT? I downloaded the speedstream handbook, & there is an option to disable NAT/NAPT.

I dont understand the concept of this? why disable this? what do you think the underlying cause of the problem is with the aiport & the modem? is there some kind of conflict with an IP address? or number codes?

I am very nervous about doing anything to the modem settings, the last time I did it with putting it in bridge mode, I lost all access to the internet & I could not get back in to the modems interface to put back to how it was. I would really prefer to leave the modem alone, & make adjustments to the apple router to make it adapt to my pc & modem, in case I need to go back to how everything was.

I found this article; http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7589_102-0.html?threadID=342822

do you think this is the case with my hardware?

NAT = Network Address Translation.

Do yourself the biggest favour you possibly can, and make some effort to understand what all these settings do and be prepared to try things that other members here are suggesting.

The information is out there, and if you make the effort to do some reading, you will be much better equipped to deal with things on your own. Not only that, you’ll be in a position to help others as well. :wink:

[QUOTE=Dee;2515437]NAT = Network Address Translation.

Do yourself the biggest favour you possibly can, and make some effort to understand what all these settings do and be prepared to try things that other members here are suggesting.

The information is out there, and if you make the effort to do some reading, you will be much better equipped to deal with things on your own. Not only that, you’ll be in a position to help others as well. ;)[/QUOTE]

believe me, I have been reading up & it it is all confusing, I am making an effort, but I cannot afford to lose /destroy the only internet connection in the house, I am not the only one who uses it, when I experimented last week, I lost it & we had a huge family fight over it, that nearly came to blows. My dad got very angry with me, I dont want another confrontation.

can you at least point me in the right direction? like some links to some good sights that can spell all this out for me?

You need some “routing- 101”, so

Watch this movie first to get a basic idea what the hell is going on in your computer. Watch the full movie please before going any further. It’s a free movie so no worries there.

Then read this.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2515534]You need some “routing- 101”, so

Watch this movie first to get a basic idea what the hell is going on in your computer. Watch the full movie please before going any further. It’s a free movie so no worries there.

Then read this.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the links, that makes a little more sense, from what I gather from the reading link you gave me; it looks like I may have the wrong type of router, the apple is just a non ADSL router, & it’s utility opens up (where one configures it’s settings), but I get the error message; an error occurred while trying to access the apple wireless device.Make sure your network connection is valid & try again.

I can’t get into it’s configuration page, with the 198. number. Of some of the youtube videos I have watched & articles I have read, none of them really spelled that out, that there is a ADLS router & non ADSL routers.

So if one has an ADSL modem, with DSL internet with a phone line like I have, I need an ADSL router? a non ADSL one will not work? so are non ADSL routers only for people who have cable or satellite internet?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC340LL/A/AirPort-Extreme?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg&mco=MTMzNzU2NDk

in this page you can zoom in on the picture to see it’s ports, there seems to be just one ethernet port, & the other 4 ports.

Think of the modem in bridge mode as a media converter if that makes it more simple.
As I said before, set it up in bridge mode and apply your PPPoE settings (if you have any) and connect all computers using wire or wireless to the router and you’ll be fine.
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2515759]Think of the modem in bridge mode as a media converter if that makes it more simple.
As I said before, set it up in bridge mode and apply your PPPoE settings (if you have any) and connect all computers using wire or wireless to the router and you’ll be fine.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

I went through bridge mode before, & lost all my internet connectivity, I can’t go through that again. I had to call at & t tech support to get the modem to reset & get the internet back. when I went to bridge mode, I could not even get back into the settings/ the modems interface through the 192. number to do anymore adjustments, I was totally cut off.

this is what I got when I attempted this; on my computer screen;

PPP Location

WARNING

changing these settings may interfere with your ability to connect to the internet

there were 3 choices;

PPP is on the modem. This is the normal mode for this modem when connected to a single computer. In this mode, the PPP session is imitated from the modem. Gateways & routers should work in this mode but their configuration may have to be changed to do so (e.g., you may need to have the gateway/router IP address changed to 192.168.1.1). - This was what it was on

PPP is on the computer. This mode is normally used if you need to run a PPoE client on your PC. This mode can be used with a gateway or router which initiates a PPPoE session. To return to the DSL modem user interface you will need to directly connect your PC to the modem without any gateway or router between the modem & the PC

Briged mode (PPPoE is not used). This mode must be used if you are connecting to a non-PPPoE network.

I went in & put it from the default first one to this bridged mode & that is when everything went wrong. I could not get back into the modems interface through the 192. number.

Even with sat or cable reception you need a modem at least, a router in most cases too.
router > routing > NAT >>> key to understand how it works.

Of course you cannot use “Brigde mode” in your case, [B]you need to choose PPPoE with TDSL[/B] if this is your only or first router behind the modem & NTBA/splitter.

Standard IPs of routers are 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1.

Please tell us the exact name and model of the router and the modem used.

chef: So you’re suggesting NAT on top of NAT is a great idea?
Oh well, I’ll drop this since we aren’t getting anywhere…
What you could do is setting up your as an AP but I doubt it’ll support that.
//Danne

To the OP, http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/ Check it out.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2515881]chef: [B]So you’re suggesting NAT on top of NAT is a great idea?[/B]
Oh well, I’ll drop this since we aren’t getting anywhere…
What you could do is setting up your as an AP but I doubt it’ll support that.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Noooooooooooo. :flower:

I just wanna know the real background of his idea/strategy/thoughts.

I cannot imagine it would be that difficult setting up a modem/router/WLAN/bridge/AP under normal circumstances.

Seems that he is german, so I would offer help via pm.

To me it seems the OP has a standard T-DSL (ADSL) line, a modem/router combo marketed by the Deutsche Telekom with only 1 LAN port and he tries to include an access point into that line/setup to connect an second computer to that line too.

[B]Sossity[/B], if you wanna get working your second router/modem, you have to get the ethernet cable coming out of your router#1 (speedport #xxx) and this needs to be inputted into 1 LAN port of your second router which you want to use as AP. DO NOT put the cble into the WAN port of the second router…you could do this with few routers, but you have to manage the settings via the (browser) setup and you need to know what you are doing!!