Internet Explorer slow on Windows7

vbimport

Hello,
Recently, I installed Win7 on my friend’s computer. Everything was fine, except that Internet Explorer would not start quickly. i applied all the updates, without any result. Then I upgraded to IE9, but the problem persists. I installed Mozilla Firefox, and there is no problem with that.

Then I found this: If I try to open IE with the modem disconnected, it starts up real fast. But when the modem is turned on, it takes a really long time to start. It won’t even load offline pages. Why so?

Please try this.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2598900]Please try this.[/QUOTE]

But isn’t this for Windows XP/

It is actually for Internet Explorer which is a separate program, a lot people forget that.

I tried this solution, but there is no improvement.

I forgot to add one thing: the problem is in getting IE opened. Once it is open, there is no problem in browsing or downloading. But if I start it again, the same problem recurs. As long as I keep it open, there are no problems.

Sounds like it is looking for the modem connection first, you need to tell it not to.

Go to Tools \Internet Options\Connections and click on Never Dial a Connection

[QUOTE=bean55;2598924]Sounds like it is looking for the modem connection first, you need to tell it not to.

Go to Tools \Internet Options\Connections and click on Never Dial a Connection[/QUOTE]

Never dial a connection is already enabled. (But it is greyed out).

Just found this:
Went to LAN Settings under Tools \Internet Options\Connections,
and disabled Automatically detect settings, and it worked! Now it is blazing fast! In fact, it is even faster than Firefox! :cool:
Obviously, it had to do something with the LAN settings. What do you say?

This smells like some forced policy or some strange ip configuration.

[QUOTE=Ayiramala;2598928]Just found this:
Went to LAN Settings under Tools \Internet Options\Connections,
and disabled Automatically detect settings, and it worked! Now it is blazing fast! In fact, it is even faster than Firefox! :cool:
Obviously, it had to do something with the LAN settings. What do you say?[/QUOTE]

That was going to be my next suggestion.

Glad you got it worked out.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2598937]This smells like some forced policy or some strange ip configuration.[/QUOTE]

Actually it sounds like whoever installed/reinstalled the OS on that specific
computer didn’t have a NIC cable connected while the windows installer was running and then had to manually set up the network connection and screwed up slightly.

I say “slightly” because it DID work… sorta…

AD