Internet Explorer 6

Ok, i got a small problem with my web browser. It was working fine, and the suddenly broke. Each page i go to or open takes about 10 seconds. The screen looks like it is frozen and the little progress meter at the bottom is on full. It happens for every single page. It’s not a hardware problem (Athlon 3000+, 512MB ram).
Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? It’s getting really iritating lol.

Schizm.

To start, clear out your temperoty intetnet files and cookies as well as history and see if that helps.

Run an anti-spyware program such as LavaSoft Ad-aware or Spybot search and Destory, as well as a full virus scan with updated definitions.

Verify it’s not your internet connection casuing problems.
Go to DSL Reports or Banwidth Place and do a speed test.
The results you are looking for depends on what your ISP gives you for speed, but I would say average ADSL speed is anywhere from 1Mbit (1024Kbit) to 1.5Mbit (1563Kbit) download speed (verify with your ISP what this number should be). Allow up to a couple hundred Kbit less for overheard and such.

Last but not least, try a different web brower. Many people will tell ya that IE sucks :stuck_out_tongue:
I would recommend Mozilla.

While I agree with everything Ssseth posted above, couple other questions for ya…

It’s not a hardware problem (Athlon 3000+, 512MB ram).

Have recently added any new hardware or software such as a router or firewall? Handy tools, improperly configured, hardware or software based can cause these headaches…:slight_smile:

Have you recently installed ICS or some other type of “proxy” software"? Again same as above…

If the answer to both of the above is no…then strongly agree with Ssseth that you clear your cache and do a virus scan…:slight_smile:

Well, it’s not my connection (On a 512kb satellite, due to country living lol) and anyone else who uses the web on our home network has no problems, just me. I’ve done virus checks with the latest patch, nothing. Done a spyware scan with eAnthology Stop Sign and found nothing. It’s really werid and is getting on my nerves.
Is taking forever to browse the web these days.
I’m going to try and reinstall IE, if that doesn’t work i’m not sure what to do.

[hint]
Try Mozilla

Mozilla is the best free alternative to Microsoft IE and it’s faster to boot. -Rex Baldazo, C|Net

[/hint]

Ok, will give that a shot. I’m currently runnin Spybot SnD to see if it picks up anything else.

Well, it’s fixed! I did everything, Vet, Defrag, Spybot SnD, cleared temp folders, cleared cookies, uninstalled unwanted apps, installed mozilla (works good :wink: ). And then it still didn’t work, but 5minutes later it came around, and all seems to be working great now.
Thanks for the help, it’s a great relief to have it working again lol.

Well at least we got you using Mozilla :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh btw, a little hint for all IE users out there. The temp internet files set by default on IE are some really stupid high number. If you have a high speed conneciton it doesn’t need to be any higher then 5-20MB.
One other litte hint while I’m on the subject. The recycle bin by default can take 10% of your HD space. So let’s say you have a 80GB HD. That’s a whopping 8GB of space that can be wasted. I set mine to a recpectable 1% (in my case that’s 600MB).

Just spent a half hour on the phone last night with mother in law.Why does IE crash every time I open it?? (because it’s IE…LOL) Then…well when did you last clear your temp files…expected answer…What are temp files?? :slight_smile:

After we fixed IE’s tummy ache…IE was working as well as it ever had again…

Pffffpt

hehe. IE is good when it works, but can be very iritating when it doesn’t. But oh well, i guess thats the same with a lot of things.

Sadly I’m glad computer have so many problems. I wouldn’t have a job otherwise! :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t worry hoss, so long as humans use them…we will always have a job…LOL

Originally posted by ZigZagMan
Don’t worry hoss, so long as humans use them…we will always have a job…LOL

Good point :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B][hint]
Try Mozilla

[/hint] [/B]
You sir are a star have had the same probs for months but no more thanks to you:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: