Internet connection sharing is a proxy?

vbimport

im using a windows xp computer as a internet connection sharer, where it acts as a sort of proxy, only using something i dont have a clue about ( NAT?) my problem is that i cannot access certain things, namely the freedb archives. this wasnt a problem until recently, when i tried to have EAC access it for ID3 tags. im in the process of backing up all my albums to mp3, and typing everything is getting annoying. anyone that can help would be greatly appreciated. freedb.freedb.org/~cddb/cddb.cgi is attempting to be accessed.

well i aint sure if this will work, but i think i had this problem with EAC not getting info from that database to.

try rebooting, then ripping a cd.

does it work?

no dice :frowning:

NAT is different from a proxy. With NAT, the source IP from your “LAN” computers are changed to that of the PC with the direct internet connection when sending packets out of thier subnet (not subnet mask) . Perhaps this EAC requires port mapping … check to see what the requirements are for accessing EAC from behind a firewall and map those ports back to your “LAN” PC.

ugh, not what i wanted to hear. NAT’s are nasty for giving access to an internal program to go out, for some reason which im too lazy to understand. thanks for the info.

NAT routers dont have problems with outgoing connections it is usually incoming ones. Let me explain. The ports used in this example are made up.

Lets say you are using EAC and it makes a connection to the EAC server on port 80. The EAC server sees this and sends back some UDP packets to your public IP ,(the ICS machine), on port 800. Your “router” doesn’t know what to do with these packets and if you are running a firewall chances are these packets are dropped.

That is where port mapping comes in. In this scenario you would set a rule to forward all incoming packets on port 800 back to the IP of your LAN machine that is running the EAC client.

ahhh, that makes more sense. on a slightly weirder note - winamp has no problem querying the gracenote servers, but EAC says HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request. i quit :wink: