Internet Connection Sharing for AOL DSL

I got a friend who has AOL DSL and want to do a networking between two WinXP Computers. The USB DSL modem connections to his main computer, which is then connected to the client using two 10/100 ethernet cards. He is using AOL 7.0. He said he tried like a lot of things, like stuff from dslreports.com.

I’ll be relaying his thanks for him, in advance.

Btw, he’s a lil bit of a newbie to computers, and I’m one to AOL, so please be a lil specific.

Oh and also, he’s like broke right now so he can’t buy one of those 100 dollar routers that supports USB DSL modems, like the Linksys one or the one featured at the AOL online shop. So it has to be through a host-client connection.

He should be able to just use the networking wizard and ICS (internet connection sharing) built in windows.

yep he should, but it means that the computer that does the sharing has to be on basically all the time.

But doesn’t AOL need the program to run? So if the host was disconnected, then with a normal connection, the client will tell the host to connect, but can it also work with AOL? Can the client tell the AOL program to run and connect? I think that’s the main problem for him.

The simplest way is the above mentioned Cable/DSL router. I bought a Siemens model at COMPUSA for $70. It has a basic firewall, DHCP server, and TCP/IP forwarder built it. I went the cheap way for about 2 years before I got that router. You can also try eBay - there are always routers for cheap prices there. To share it with the hardware (and software) you already have, you will have to use ICS and two NICs. Try out this link for a complete explanation on how to do that.

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/

Good luck.

But its AOL and WinXP, its a lil different isnt it? I’ll forward these things to d guy anyways, maybe he can make sure of it.

Originally posted by dfourthhorseman
But doesn’t AOL need the program to run? So if the host was disconnected, then with a normal connection, the client will tell the host to connect, but can it also work with AOL? Can the client tell the AOL program to run and connect? I think that’s the main problem for him.

i think it does use a login program, sorta like pppoe (probably is)

its hard to find a router with a usb port, i know of one but i cant remember the name right now…

i think your only choice is ics… well other than dumping aol for something better :wink: