Internet connection cuts out - why?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Dell 160GB 7200RPM Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive for Dell PowerVault 745N Systems. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a standard Hewlett Packard home PC with a standard broadband internet connection.

In the last few weeks, the the internet connection has been cutting off and I don’t know why.

It can go hours without a problem and then cut off. Unplugging and plugging my modem wire solves it, but then it will return shortly after.

It seems to happen more when I am multi tasking or using video.

It might just be a coincidence that the hard drive is getting very full, but I’m not sure.

Can anyone tell me the problem and how to solve it?

thanks.

Welcome to CDF’s:

Have you ISP come to your home and fix it. Be easier than trouble shooting here as in us not being there or buying new cables and trying them out etc…

[quote=brightey;2187317][qanda]This thread is about the Dell 160GB 7200RPM Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive for Dell PowerVault 745N Systems. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a standard Hewlett Packard home PC with a standard broadband internet connection.

In the last few weeks, the the internet connection has been cutting off and I don’t know why.

It can go hours without a problem and then cut off. Unplugging and plugging my modem wire solves it, but then it will return shortly after.

It seems to happen more when I am multi tasking or using video.

It might just be a coincidence that the hard drive is getting very full, but I’m not sure.

Can anyone tell me the problem and how to solve it?

thanks.[/quote]
See if there is an update for your LAN driver.:wink:

What type of internet connection? Cable,DSL, etc…

What brand of modem?

• How old?
    Do you use a router?

Are you using Bit Torrent or P2P applications?

:cool::cool:

Just in general, in ~90% of the time outrages are [B]not[/B] caused by the ISP.
platinumsword’s questions should’ve been answered in the first post…
//Danne

you are using what to connect to the internet? wifi? ethernet card?

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2187452]What type of internet connection? Cable,DSL, etc…

What brand of modem?

• How old?
    Do you use a router?

Are you using Bit Torrent or P2P applications?

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

It’s a cable modem and my provider is NTL. It’s about four years old and I don’t think we use a router, but I’m not sure what that means.

We don’t have a wireless connection if that’s what you mean and yes, I do use Bit Torrentn and P2P applications. It seems to crash if I have two bits of video/webcam etc on at the same time.

Are you using windows?? do you have an anti-virus software???
Are you using firewall?(worse:multiple firewalls?)

[quote=brightey;2188033]It’s a cable modem and my provider is NTL. It’s about four years old and I don’t think we use a router, but I’m not sure what that means.

We don’t have a wireless connection if that’s what you mean and yes, I do use Bit Torrent and P2P applications. It seems to crash if I have two bits of video/webcam etc on at the same time.[/quote]

A router will enable you to have more than one pc connected to the internet, and some will act as external firewalls.

Let’s try and eliminate one scenario, do the disconnects occur when you do not have any P2P or Bit Torrent applications running?

Check your event viewer and see what it is telling you. I assume that you have Windows XP.

start / control panel / performance and maintenance / administrative tools / event viewer / system

Things that have a red x beside them are errors. Highlight and then right click and select properties. You should have a brief description of the error with an event id number(s).

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2188244]A router will enable you to have more than one pc connected to the internet, and some will act as external firewalls.

Let’s try and eliminate one scenario, do the disconnects occur when you do not have any P2P or Bit Torrent applications running?

Check your event viewer and see what it is telling you. I assume that you have Windows XP.

start / control panel / performance and maintenance / administrative tools / event viewer / system

Things that have a red x beside them are errors. Highlight and then right click and select properties. You should have a brief description of the error with an event id number(s).

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. When I do what you say, the event view/system report shows three errors and three warnings.

An error says: Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address…on the network card with the network addresss…

Does that suggest my ISP will be able to sort it out?

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2188244] do the disconnects occur when you do not have any P2P or Bit Torrent applications running? [/QUOTE]

Yes. Whenever I, for example, go on MSN and start up a webcam and then go on the BBC website and try to watch something on the iplayer or when I go on myspace, it cuts off.

I am assuming prior to a few weeks ago, you have not had any issues before, correct?

I am assuming that you have already checked that your internet cables are in good order and are not damaged in way.

What type of network card do you have in your PC?

Have you looked to see if there are any updates for it?

I would contact your provider, explain your issue and inform them about this error that you get in your event viewer.

Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address…on the network card with the network address…

Your provider will most likely walk you through some tests.

I kind of have a hunch that you may have a faulty network card. Assuming that you have not messed around with any configurations or have done any changes to your system in the last couple of weeks.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2187479]Just in general, in ~90% of the time outrages are [B]not[/B] caused by the ISP.
platinumsword’s questions should’ve been answered in the first post…
//Danne[/QUOTE]I have had problems with intermittent service twice now in 4+ years.

The first time it took my ISP 2 weeks to figure out it was the hub just outside my back yard. The found they could just walk beside it and it would cut out for all the neighbors connected to it and they replaced it. Problem fixed.

2nd time it started cutting out it, it was the 2 year old wiring running from the wall socket to my cable modem. (I have inside wiring) They replaced it and no more cutting out with service.

[B]So for me it’s 100% ISP or cabling problem.[/B] That’s why i said call the man (ISP) That’s what they get paid to do as a service to you. Also when reporting this problem do so when you first determine there is a problem and make them credit you for the time the service is messed up. After all they want their money every month so i want uninterrupted service all month long…

Thanks guys. I’ll take your advice and contact the ISP tomorrow.

That is up to you. It’s not that i (speaking for myself ) don’t want to help you but if you want to start replacing cables and such go right ahead. I would let them replace cables etc… one little kink in a cable can cause this. I know that from experience.

It could be your pc and if it is then let us know what they said was the problem and then we can go from there. Get as much detail from them as you can.