Internet connection cuts in and out repeatedly

vbimport

Ok so i recently encountered this problem. My internet connection constantly cuts in and out. I will have a connection for only a matter of seconds and then it will cut out for a matter of seconds. It first started when i was watchin a movie on Netflix. Now i have to constantly hit the refresh button so that shows/movies will load, only a minute or two of play time. Same goes for youtube, any downloads in general (i.e. free anti-virus software that i’ve downloaded since reformatting). If the file size is more than a few MB then im unable to finsh the dl before cutting out. I’ve tried upating Network adapter drivers after reformatting. I’m running windows 7 Pro 64bit. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Do you use a wired or a wireless connection?

Is your router/modem capable of showing statistics about your internet connection?

I am wired to a router. Along with a couple other computers, all of which work with out a hiccup. Not sure if the modem shows statistics, if so i dont know how to view them.

[QUOTE=mgrayallday;2587161]I am wired to a router. Along with a couple other computers, all of which work with out a hiccup. Not sure if the modem shows statistics, if so i dont know how to view them.[/QUOTE]
So your computer is the only one with problems here? That sounds like an isolated problem.

Could you check what happens if you switch network cables with another computer? Does the problem also “move along” ?

Ya the problem is isolated to the one computer. I was thinking it may be a problem with the cable itself. Although there was a steady connection that suddenly went to crap, i’m sure that doesnt mean something could’nt have gone wrong with the cable. It’s a 50’ cable runnin up two floors, kind of a pain but not too much of a hastle to swap. I was going to wait til morning to do that as not to wake anyone tonight. I guess i was just trying to explore any other possibilities before doing so. Wish me luck, and thanks for the help! I’ll let ya know how it goes.

[QUOTE=mgrayallday;2587161]I am wired to a router. Along with a couple other computers, all of which work with out a hiccup. Not sure if the modem shows statistics, if so i dont know how to view them.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a hardware or software problem on that computers since none of the other connected to the router has any problems. Possible bad Ethernet wire as well that is faulty.

it is caused by

Are you on a cable modem? If so many (most?) have upgraded to docsis 3 modems. Mine was doing the same until I upgraded (the HTPC was fine and my laptop dropped constantly). If it is cable, go to 192.168.100.1 click on signal and post the ‘Power Level’ and ‘Signal to Noise Ratio’ figures here. Also the model number from the ‘Help’ tab.

Before burning off too much brain sweat…

try switching which port on your router the cable is plugged into
and see if it’s a “bad port” on the router.

If it IS a bad port the problem will move to another computer.

AD