INTERNAL usb flash drive

vbimport

Hi guys, is there a way to connect my usb flash drive directly to my motherboard’s IDE port ??? Reason is, I am “still” playing with DOS and I don’t need 160GB HDD which is $$$$. 1GB usb flash is cheap and more than enough for DOS.

[QUOTE=uncleman;2114139]Hi guys, is there a way to connect my usb flash drive directly to my motherboard’s IDE port ??? Reason is, I am “still” playing with DOS and I don’t need 160GB HDD which is $$$$. 1GB usb flash is cheap and more than enough for DOS.[/QUOTE]

No that is not possible, but you can use a IDE to Compact Flash adater.

Here an example: (sorry the shop link is in german…)
http://www.pearl.de/a-PE3213-1419.shtml?query=ide%20cf

Picture:

I’m sure in your country same modules are available. You can plug this adapter to the IDE port and you plug a CF card into this adapter board.

And btw. 160GB HDDs are nor really expensive. If you are lucky you’ll find a store selling the good old 40GB or 80GB… :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, this will work for sure. With this, I can seperate CF for each OS. Thank you very much for the advise. Any other cheaper solution ???

[QUOTE=uncleman;2114392]Yes, this will work for sure. With this, I can seperate CF for each OS. Thank you very much for the advise. Any other cheaper solution ???[/QUOTE]

Yes this particular board works fine without drivers. A lot people use this way of data storage i.e. for the “IP Cop” to have silent system, with low power consumption since most IP Copy runs 24/7 and electricity costs unfortunately also money…

Okay here you go if you live in the USA you can get one right here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010010353&Configurator=&Subcategory=353&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&Order=BESTMATCH&srchInDesc=CF+to+IDE

if the board supports booting from USB, then you could just plug the USB drive in and boot from it, or use a cable from a scrap case that goes to a front usb, connect to the USB header on the motherboard, and put it inside if you wanted.
Best thing to check is that if you plug the USB drive in, re boot, enter boot menu, and it should come up with something like removable flash drive, or something like that
Format as FAT and you’ll be laughing.