Internal IDE To Firewire Adaptor, Possible?

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any UK retailers that may sell a device that allows me to fit to the back of my internal hard drives that are fixed inside my computer case. But allow them to be connected to my motherboard via firewire as opposed to the IDE controller ports.

As what I was exactly wanting was to put two or three extra IDE hard drives inside the free hard drive slots in my large Gigabyte ATX case and plug the PSU into them for power but as my IDE Controllers are all used I was thinking of somehow finding a way to attach these new hard drives to my internal Firewire port and daisy chaining them.

But I cant seem to find anywhere that sells anything like this or if it is even possible to do this internally.

I have noticed a couple of websites sell internal IDE to USB converters that allow you to do this exact same thing but with your internal USB port but I am wishing to use Firewire as it is more reliable and I was wanting to set up a daisy chain.

I have also noticed a few sites that sell IDE controller to Firewire bridges to allow you to convert your IDE controllers to firewire. But nothing to change the connectors on the back of internal hard drives to Firewire.

So does anyone know if something like this exists and if so where i could buy it in the UK

Thanks
Anthony

Hi,

isn’t this exactly, what you want? An adapter to connect a HDD to a firewire controller.

I personally would recommend buying a cheap IDE controller (non-RAID) and connect the drives there. That should be cheaper than getting IDE/Firewire adapters for any drive, and it should be even faster.

Michael

Hi the adaptor i am talking about slots into the female IDE contoller on the motherboard.

How exactly can I use one of the to attach an IDE hard drive to it?.

Thanks
Anthony

Huh? The connectors on the mainboard and the connectors at the drive are [B]both[/B] male.

How exactly can I use one of the to attach an IDE hard drive to it?.
Then it will fit on the HDD, too. See, if you can download a manual for that adapter.

With bridgeboards like these - http://www.deltrontech.com/Firewire/1394IDE/1394IDE.htm - you need an IDE cable to connect your drive.

Another construction would be something like this: http://www.dansdata.com/drivedocks.htm

Michael