Internal Hard Drive used Externally

I removed an internal hard drive from a computer and would like to use it externally. My laptop will not read the hard drive when connected. XP OS.

Welcome to the forum. You need more info. What type of hard drive; what type of enclosure; what type of connection? If it is a 2.5" drive, be aware that many, many USB external enclosures are junk.

The internal hard drive is a Seagate 60 GB 3.5". The enclosure is a Mad Dog Megavault 3.5". It has the long USB at one end and the square USB at the other. Thanks for all your help.

What, exactly, does “will not read the drive” mean? Does Windows detect that the drive is connected? Does the drive show up in device manager, either as a drive or as an unknown USB device?

When you plug it is does your system recognize that a USB device has been connected? Has the drive been formatted already in another system or does it have data already on it?

I had a similar problem with my mad dog mega vault. I was trying to format a drive fat32 (because I have a standalone dvd player that can read from a fat32 hard drive). The drive would work internally in my computers just fine, but would not work in the enclosure. I tried different hard drives too and none would work when formated to full capacity in fat 32. I wound up getting 3 new enclosures (compusa brand, I got those since they were only 12$ at a compusa that was closing). The drives worked just fine in the compusa enclosures as well as internally in my computers but not in the mad dog mega vault. I just blamed it on the enclosure and quit using that one. You might want to see what file format is on the drive and if it is fat(16/32), try reformating to ntfs as that file system always worked with the enclosure for me. Of course that makes their claims of being win 98 compatible and compatible with up to 400 gig drives a load of crap, but at least you might get it working.

Simiar, but reversed. Pulled an internal hard rive to use in a 3.5 HDD case with same type USB plug and an electrical connection. Nothing, no responce from HD and nothing showing under device manager. Asking as a please help problem now.

[QUOTE=tagjack;1644708]I removed an internal hard drive from a computer and would like to use it externally. My laptop will not read the hard drive when connected. XP OS.[/QUOTE]

I’ve found trhat IDE 3.5" drives in most external enclosures don’t work correctly or at all when the jumper is in the CS (Cable Select) position.

They will work in either the “slave” or “master” position.

The OS installed on the drive is pretty much irrelevant as the computer it is connected to will likely see it as simply an external drive.

AD

I agree :iagree:

The drive must be set as master to work in an external enclosure :slight_smile:

are enclosures compatible with any hard drive? I took mine out of my broken computer , Im just not sure what enclosure to get for SATA 3.0

[QUOTE=suetacey;2676525]are enclosures compatible with any hard drive? I took mine out of my broken computer , Im just not sure what enclosure to get for SATA 3.0[/QUOTE]

External enclosures are rated for either 2.5" drives or 3.5" drives, in addition to the internal interface ratings, (SATA, IDE, etc). SATA based enclosures are further rated for SATA1, SATA2 or SATA3, each of which should be backwards-compatible. You also have choices for external interface, USB vs eSATA.

One of the most flexible type SATA externals is the HDD dock, such as THIS, which accept either 2.5" or 3.5".

I got one, thanks and it works and I got all my files thanks

Another issue I’ve seen is a drive that was formerly the system drive in a given XP, Vista or Windows7 computer and has been formatted and mounted in an external enclosure will not be “Seen” by the computer it was previously installed in.

This is due to the presence of the original OS installation “Bootldr”.

Basically if you open your start menu and right click on “computer”,
select “Manage”,
wait for that to load, then click on “Disc management” (left hand column)
Then look at the bar graphs at the bottom if the disc management page
Look for a notation that says “Offline”

If you click on that you can force the drive online, this “Breaks” the bootldr forever.
(do not force a “Clone” online unless you want to repurpose the drive)