Internal DVD Drive

I have an HP Pavilion a300n desktop, OS Windows XP, 512MB RAM, Celeron 2.6Ghz (yes, I’m aware it’s a Celeron) processor. There’s no DVD drive installed and I want one. HP tells me I need to look for PATA/IDE. I see a few out there but there’s no software included, i.e. Nero. Do I really need Nero anyway? Doesn’t Windows Media Player burn? I’m looking to convert AVI files to DVD. I know I would need converter software for that, but there’s plenty out there. So do I really need a dvd drive with software attached or would the bare-bones HP PATAs I see out there do the trick, with AVI to DVD software obtained separately? --Thanks in advance.

Doesn’t Windows Media Player burn? I’m looking to convert AVI files to DVD. I know I would need converter software for that, but there’s plenty out there. So do I really need a dvd drive with software attached or would the bare-bones HP PATAs I see out there do the trick, with AVI to DVD software obtained separately?

WMP isn’t gonna help with DVD. There are many free apps out there that will convert and burn AVI. DVD Flick is one, it uses ImgBurn to burn.

bare-bones HP

Don’t limit yourself to an HP drive (they just rebadge anyway).

Read up here for some choices.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/

I guess I should have been more clear. How do I know an internal drive is compatible with my processor? Most specs. are Pentium II, or III, if I get processor specs. at all. How do I compare that to my processor? It’s my understanding its more Cache than Ghz, and I have NO idea how to compare that, so I’ve looked at: Pioneer DVR-1910LS and Lite-On IHAP322-08 DVD Burner, which I see a review on here. But I still don’t know if the Pentium is compatible to my Celeron. --Thanks.

Interesting question. But DVD burners have been around for a long time.

Pentium II’s topped out at 450 MHz.

Pentium III’s topped out at 1.4 GHz.

Your Celeron 2.6Ghz is a few generations past both these.

You can get the exact cpu info with this app:

Thank you, Mystic Eyes!