Internal DVD Drive problem - please help

vbimport

I have this system :

Laptop Dell Inspiron 8200 (Pentium 4 2000 Mhz, 512 MB RAM) and an internal 8x speed DVD drive.
I use Windows XP Pro (updated to the latest version via Windows Update).

From control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager -> dvd/cdrom drives :

HL-DT-DT DVD-ROM GDR8081N

Also I updated to the latest firmware (downloaded from http://www.dell.com).

The problem is, it is VERY SLOW. Copying about 400 MB from CD will take about 80+ minutes ! My old Pentium took only about 5 minutes.

Usually this is because of DMA problem. I checked the IDE controller via control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers :

Primary IDE Channel :
   Device 0 :
      Device Type: Auto Detection
      Transfer Mode: DMA if available
      Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 5

Device 1 :
      Current Transfer Mode: Multi-Word DMA Mode 2

Secondary IDE Channel :
   Device 0 :
      Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable

Device 1 :
      Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable

Is this the correct setting ? I cant see any other DMA setting in the control panel (DVD/CD-ROM Drives).

Once I watched Task Manager -> Performance while testing it (by copying a data from it). It shown the CPU utilization is NOT so high, it’s about 0% - 5% and very constant. It’s like there are some DELAYS in it.

I dont run any other program in the background (except Yahoo messenger). I dont run virus scanner, etc. nothing.

Anyone can suggest a good fix for this problem ?

The system works very well, except this DVD drive.

Thanks in advance.

Hi kapot, welcome to our forum! Let’s just hope your drive isn’t broken :smiley:

There’s nothing wrong with your DMA settings. Multiword DMA can do up to 33MB/sec, so that’s fast enough.

There are a few possibilities here:

1. There’s a compatibility problem between your drive and the discs you are trying to read

2. The disc you are trying to read is in a bad shape (scratches, filthy etc)

3. The lens of your drive is filthy

4. There’s some software running that keeps the drive slow (on the fly MP3 encoder, CDBremse)

5. Your drive is damaged (if so, contact Dell for support).

I suggest to check up on this points and report back. Perhaps we can be of any more help!

Good luck!

Hi :smiley:

The strange thing is, if the DVD drive is broken (really has hardware problem/slow), I think it will be “jerky” (bad output) to play DVD movie.
In fact, there is nothing wrong when playing DVD (I use WinDVD and Region 2 movie).

Only when copying (transfering) from CD to my HD is the problem (I think).

I want to test by booting to DOS but XP does not have DOS. I made a boot disk with win98, but I forgot that DOS does not support NTFS.

From your 5 points:
(1) I dont think the problem is the disc, because I tried all kind of disc, original disc from Dell or CD-R disk that I burned it.

(2)All disc are clean.

(3)Hmmm … I dont know, and I dont know how to clean it.

(4)No software at all. Also XP services are minimal. Do you think there are some services affect DVD tasks ?

Strange …

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]Hi kapot, welcome to our forum! Let’s just hope your drive isn’t broken :smiley:

There’s nothing wrong with your DMA settings. Multiword DMA can do up to 33MB/sec, so that’s fast enough.

There are a few possibilities here:

1. There’s a compatibility problem between your drive and the discs you are trying to read

2. The disc you are trying to read is in a bad shape (scratches, filthy etc)

3. The lens of your drive is filthy

4. There’s some software running that keeps the drive slow (on the fly MP3 encoder, CDBremse)

5. Your drive is damaged (if so, contact Dell for support).

I suggest to check up on this points and report back. Perhaps we can be of any more help!

Good luck! [/B]

If you want to do a test in dos, get the Windows XP bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com; that one supports NTFS.

About the lens: you can use a lens cleaner, but cleaning it with compressed air (spray can) or distilled water should be as least as good as a cleaning disc.

Did you always have this problem, or did the drive function properly at first?

I think you are right. The problem is that the DVD drive can not read CD-R DISC properly (very SLOW).

Because I tested by transfering 1 GB file from a DVD movie disc, it was transfered very fast.

So, is there any tips/tricks to burn into CD-R that it can be read properly ?

But still, this Dell DVD drive is sucks :frowning: The CD-R disc can be read properly (fast) in other CD drive.

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]If you want to do a test in dos, get the Windows XP bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com; that one supports NTFS.

About the lens: you can use a lens cleaner, but cleaning it with compressed air (spray can) or distilled water should be as least as good as a cleaning disc.

Did you always have this problem, or did the drive function properly at first? [/B]

My internal dvd was working great on Saturday,but now when I put dvd in nothing…I don’t even get the window media player when I insert a dvd.The light comes on when I put dvd in,but nothing plays…My cdrom works great…I check the device and it says its working propertly.I got a laser cleaner,but no help.My dvd is not being read,but the dvd is spinning…Please give me some advice…I hate to buy a new one if there is something simple wrong…

Thanks
TuTodd