Internal DVD burner in an External drive enclosure?

HI,

Should work fine, but figured I’d check, has anyone here ever mounted their internal drive (mine is an A06), in a USB 2.0 External Drive Enclosure?

Seems like it a nice way to make it available to your laptop as well as your desk top. Opinions?

Here’s one that caught my eye:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=297492&pfp=BROWSE

thanks,

Brendan G.

Yes, works very well.

but you need to have usb 2.0 on your computer.

sweet…

yup, recently stuck a $30, 5 port USB2 adapter in.

thanks for the input.

Brendan G.

Now this sounds like a perfect solution, as I really didn’t want to remove one of my other drives and I don’t have room to install another optical drive.
A couple of questions:
Looks notwithstanding, are all enclosures about the same? Or are there specific features/specs (obiviously 5.25 and USB 2.0) that one should look for or want to have? Newegg has one for $30 (link) that appears to be able to do the job.
Second which is quicker/better: Firewire or USB 2.0?
TIA

It depends.

USB 2.0 (High Speed USB) is fast - 480mbps

FireWire is slower - 400mbps

The catch:

All FireWire devices have a special chip inside them that handles all the processing power they need to read/write data to them. USB devices don’t. This is why FireWire seems faster than USB. USB devices hog your computer processer’s power, while FireWire devices use their own processor.

Back to your question:

Its up to you which one you use. Try each one and see which one is faster. If you only have USB 1.1 ports, definitely go with FireWire instead. USB 1.1 ports (the original USB) are much slower.

I would like to install a notebook dvd burner in an external enclosure.
Can I buy the enclosure from anywhere. It seems that there are many hard drive enclosures but I don’t see anyone selling one for dvd burner. Could you help?
Thanks.

[QUOTE=kimhwang;2185080]I would like to install a notebook dvd burner in an external enclosure.
Can I buy the enclosure from anywhere. It seems that there are many hard drive enclosures but I don’t see anyone selling one for dvd burner. Could you help?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Look for enclosures for slim line DVD burners. The companies MacPower and Mapower (no typo! two companies one with one without “c”) should have what you are looking for.
The Mapower KC51S is for example such enclosure. I have a Panasonic UJ-835 in it.

hi…i’m new here

^where did u get that MaPower enclosure? I can’t find it on the net.

[QUOTE=striker2005;2206373]^where did u get that MaPower enclosure? I can’t find it on the net.[/QUOTE]

It is a good question. I have this enclosure since 2 or 3 years, therefore I do not remember anymore. But I’m in Germany and I used a online shop…