Intermittent sound problem?

So I built my own computer for the first time this past year, and am using it as a media station in my living room, I have it connected to a 40" toshiba lcd via hdmi cable.

when watching videos, streaming over the internet or my home network, and even sometimes right off the computer itself, I am having sound problems. the sound will cut out for just a second here and there, and then it will be fine for awhile, then do it again repeatedly. I’m also having other sound issues(crackling and mufflling of audio during playback) that I think may be related, but maybe not, its hard to tell.

It doesn’t do it at all when watching regular tv, so i’m assuming its not the tv, and none of my other computers in my home do it, so I assume its not the network.

the logical assumption is that its my video card i suppose, i’m using an ATI Radeon HD 4350, 512 MB ddr2 with an onboard hdmi connector. Can someone tell me if this is my problem?? and also what is a reasonably priced hdmi card I could purchase that works well?? keep in mind I want to run both the audio and video through the hdmi to minimize the amount of wires in my living room. thanks!!!

P.S. if this is not a good newbie topic please feel free to move it somewhere else, I wasn’t sure where to post this??:bigsmile:

What format is the video would be helpful? And what program are you using to display from computer to tv?? You partial info of the hardware but without knowing what software you using as the medium to transfer the movie it’s hard to help. Also you asking to general of question without giving much specs of the computer hardware besides the video card. From what it sounds like at face value sounds like there is a transfer bottle neck from computer to tv. Something in the computer isn’t processing the video fast enough to match the transfer speed causing the delay.

the video is processing perfectly, its just the audio I am having the issue with, and its with any video player software, even flash player, like on hulu. also the format of the video isn’t really the issue either, but usually its .avi files. the computer is a
GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard with G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor, also I am running vista ultimate 64 bit

Are the original AVIs in sync?.. As far as SW maybe give VLC a try…And don’t discount the “format of the video” or audio streams…Could be anything, TV not decoding the audio properly, or as CC stated above"computer isn’t processing the video fast enough to match the transfer speed causing the delay"…FWIW, I use PS3 Media Server to stream AVI, mp4, VObs etc. to the PS3 wirelessly which I’ve hooked up via HDMI to my HD set, however I use an optical cable to my AR, w/o sync issues…

I use gom player for the most part, but thats not the problem,i’ve tried vlc and wmp classic as well as regular wmp, and like I said, it does the same thing when i’m watching any video.

I’ve never had an issue with anything being out of sync, and it doesn’t seem to be a delay at all, there’s no pause or skipping of the video or audio, just dropping out. also, as far as the type of video and/or audio, I primarily use .avi, but have used other formats and had the same issue.

I prefer to not have a bunch of cords hanging off of the tv because its mounted above the fireplace, so i’d like to keep just the one hdmi, I have it hidden nicely.

If it was the tv having trouble decoding the audio, how would I look at that(or can I?)

and I would still love it if I could get some opinions on moderately priced video cards with native hdmi that work well?? thanks for the responses guys, keep em comin!

never had an issue with anything being out of sync, and it doesn’t seem to be a delay at all, there’s no pause or skipping of the video or audio, just dropping out.

Well then maybe as CC stated, bootleneck in the transfer from pc to TV…Try another HDMI cable, see if that helps…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2312322]Well then maybe as CC stated, bootleneck in the transfer from pc to TV…Try another HDMI cable, see if that helps…[/QUOTE]

can there really be that much of a difference from one hdmi cable to the next?(i’m asking honestly, not being rude), the only reason i ask is I had a hard time finding a white hdmi cable, I bought the only one newegg.com carries, lol, I wanted a white one because it blends in with my walls so its easier to hide

can there really be that much of a difference from one hdmi cable to the next?(i’m asking honestly, not being rude), the only reason i ask is I had a hard time finding a white hdmi cable, I bought the only one newegg.com carries, lol, I wanted a white one because it blends in with my walls so its easier to hide

I see nothing in your post that suggests rudeness on your part…:cool:
As far as the cable, I did write, “[I]see if that helps[/I]”…Course I’m not saying to go out and buy the most expensive monster-type hdmi cable out there…Heck I purchase mine from monoprice…So you never know, it may or may not help…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2312433]I see nothing in your post that suggests rudeness on your part…:cool:
As far as the cable, I did write, “[I]see if that helps[/I]”…Course I’m not saying to go out and buy the most expensive monster-type hdmi cable out there…Heck I purchase mine from monoprice…So you never know, it may or may not help…[/QUOTE]

so I borrowed a friends hdmi cable(because i’m cheap and i figured this really wasn’t the problem, but it was something I should test) we watched a few shows and sure enough, same problem, anyone have any other suggestions??

I still think its your card that is having the problem cause if your tv play ok with standalone dvd player then you should check your GPU might need updated software and drivers. Cause it does sound to much like something with the communication of the GPU. A good decent cable as t0nee1 does help in a better view playback you dont need as t0nee1 said Monster cable. Also your A/V or firewall could also cause the lag as well but since I don’t know the exact software or hardware configuration it’s hard to tell from the reading.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2406897]I still think its your card that is having the problem cause if your tv play ok with standalone dvd player then you should check your GPU might need updated software and drivers. Cause it does sound to much like something with the communication of the GPU. A good decent cable as t0nee1 does help in a better view playback you dont need as t0nee1 said Monster cable. Also your A/V or firewall could also cause the lag as well but since I don’t know the exact software or hardware configuration it’s hard to tell from the reading.[/QUOTE]

thanks i’ve tried updating the drivers already, I think its just not fast enough, or its getting too hot, because it works fine at first, it only seems to be when its been on for awhile that the problem starts. it doesn’t have a fan, only a heat sink, and its a 64 bit 512 MB card, again I would love it if someone could recommend a strong performing card for a moderate price???