Intermittent loss of NEC DN-2500a in Vista 64-bit OS

vbimport

I’ve upgraded to a new ASRock X48 Intel chipsets motherboard and I’m getting this intermittent loss of my DVD-ROM drive, is anybody else experiencing this issue ?

I know it’s an old DVD-ROM rewriter but I’m loathe to upgrade until the blue Ray rewriters come below £100. Plus I am under the impression that SATA optical drives have been causing problems to some people so I am willing wait this one out and continue with my old faithful NEC DN-2500a especially as it works in XP 32-bit and it also works in other 64-bit vista PC is that I have.

I’ve contacted the manufacturer of the motherboard ASRock and they suggest upgrade the firmware and I didn’t need to do that with the other ASRock 1333 DVI-HD motherboard that I also have.

Any help appreciated regarding this particular DVD-ROM issue or suggestions on a temporary upgrade whilst I wait for Windows Vista 64-bit/SATA/blue Ray drives to sort themselves out. :slight_smile:

Cheers

optical10

[quote=optical10;2125381]Plus I am under the impression that SATA optical drives have been causing problems to some people…
[/quote]
Most of the issues are due to the SATA controller, whether native or off-chipset, set to RAID mode in the BIOS. Once that’s changed to IDE mode, the issues seem to have gone away. And of course, there would be a conflict if hard drives are used as RAID while the optical is used as IDE on the same controller.

[QUOTE=KTL;2128424]Most of the issues are due to the SATA controller, whether native or off-chipset, set to RAID mode in the BIOS. Once that’s changed to IDE mode, the issues seem to have gone away. And of course, there would be a conflict if hard drives are used as RAID while the optical is used as IDE on the same controller.[/QUOTE]

@ KTL;2128424

Sorry for the delay getting back to your reply, but I would like to thank you very much. It turns out that the firmware on the DVD ROM was too old for Vista and also cause problems with the latest version of Nero in Windows XP. So when a good deal of hunting on the NEC/Sony’s download webpage
I found firmware 1.0 a from 2006 which did the trick.

Curiously the firmware version I had which was 1.06 was older so they’re naming convention has changed, which could confuse a lot of people if you don’t look to the date of the firmware, you could actually think that you were about to install an older firmware, don’t you think?

Anyway all is well that ends well, and thank you very much your suggestions

Glad to hear that you found 1.0A and solved your problem. Naming convention is consistent, just 1.0A is newer than 1.06, in hexadecimal format. :slight_smile: