Interesting readings - Sony DRU-700A (832s)

vbimport

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=2045&p=1

Originally posted by j2000
[b]Anandtech just posted a review on a pre-production sample of Sony DRU-700A Dual Layer Recorder, which should be a Liteon LWD-832S at heart.

You can read the review here. [/B]

worth noticing is that it also supports hd-burn (with a mediatek chipset?)

Yep, our first confirmation that 812S@832S works on DL media in addition to SL media (which OC confirmed a while ago) (the Gigabyte is a rebadged 812S and the 700A is a rebadged 832S).

Regarding HD-BURN. The 700A does not support HD-BURN.

As a note, according to previous discussions on this forum about this… if someone gets their hands on a 832S firmware, they can do the overclock simply by apply LDW851FP to the .BIN firmware. We really need to rename LDW851FP to something different because it can do so much more than just 451@851 overclocks. :wink:

indeed it doesnt :frowning: can it? :stuck_out_tongue:

Most likely not. It would require that LiteOn pay a licensing fee. It would require that LiteOn invest in firmware work. And it might require LiteOn to do some hardware work as well. And on the other side of this, the demand for HD-BURN is very low, and its compatibility is very bad. Most drives can’t even read HD-BURN, which is a significant factor to why it will most likely just remain as a big flop that will never go anywhere.

well that’s the official path - what are the chances of implementing it via firmware hacking?

Originally posted by QQuxa
well that’s the official path - what are the chances of implementing it via firmware hacking?

shakes head

In addition to the AnandTech review, here’s yet another review of the new Sony 700A.

Note that the 700A is a rebadged 832S.

From the Anandtech write-up…

Our largest surprise came when we noticed the chipset in our DRU-700A was the same found in the Gigabyte GO-W0808A, the MT1818E. This little chipset has been with DVD burners for a long time; the only real upgrades that have occurred since DVD+R 2X has been upgrades to the analog controllers and pickups. The same innards are found in the Lite-On LDW-812S.

Hmmm…sounds interesting.

I was about to ask what HD-BURN was, and then I found this:

http://www.digital-sanyo.com/BURN-Proof/HD-BURN/

That cartoon is hilarious. I gotta love the Japanese. :slight_smile:

As far as technology goes, I think HD-BURN would have been far more interesting a few years ago. I’d rather see the manufacturers invest their effort into DVD+/-R and DVD+R9 at this point in the game.

Originally posted by code65536
As a note, according to previous discussions on this forum about this… if someone gets their hands on a 832S firmware, they can do the overclock simply by apply LDW851FP to the .BIN firmware. We really need to rename LDW851FP to something different because it can do so much more than just 451@851 overclocks. :wink:

If that’s true, it’s interesting that the EEPROM data needed for dual layer (if needed at all) is present in the 812S…

This might be a good oppurtunity to play around with thread merging! :wink: :smiley:

I was just about to do that. It’s scary how you read my mind sometimes :rolleyes:

Threads are now merged and appropriate confusing non-informational posts have been removed accordingly.

Originally posted by Ssseth
I was just about to do that. It’s scary how you read my mind sometimes :rolleyes:

chuckles :wink:

Hey code is it true that if i can get my hands on a 832s firmware, i can flash it on my 812s overclocking it to 832s and have dual layer functions (without modifying the 832s firmware)?

regards
ronallan

Originally posted by ronallan22
[B]Hey code is it true that if i can get my hands on a 832s firmware, i can flash it on my 812s overclocking it to 832s and have dual layer functions (without modifying the 832s firmware)?

regards
ronallan [/B]

Methinks you need to disable the EEPROM check. Running the EEPROM Check Remover on the .BIN firmware should accomplish that.

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/patchers.html

Thx for the fast reply code.

I just have to wait till liteon officialy release a firmware for 832s hehe

regards
ronallan22

Methinks you need to disable the EEPROM check. Running LDW851FP on the .BIN firmware should accomplish that.

Are we 100% sure on that? I just find it strange that the DL calibration data would exist in the 812S EEPROM…
Do you know for a fact that it’s just a simple EEPROM check removal needed for a successful over clock (i.e. one that can actually write DL media) or are you just making an educated guess?

Are we 100% sure on that? I just find it strange that the DL calibration data would exist in the 812S EEPROM…
Do you know for a fact that it’s just a simple EEPROM check removal needed for a successful over clock (i.e. one that can actually write DL media) or are you just making an educated guess?

Neither. Previous posts by OC-Freak and Zebra have indicated that the only thing that needs to be changed is the EEPROM check. So it’s not something that I’ve confirmed, but it’s not a guess, either. Call it hearsay. :slight_smile:

It could also be that there is no need for separate DL calibration data and perhaps 2.4x +R data will suffice. shrugs I don’t know much about calibration-related issues.

Although AFAIK neither OC or Zebra has yet actually written to dual layer media. As you well know you could load EEPROM check fixed 832S firmware on a 401S. Even though the drive would show as a 832S it couldn’t write 8x +R/-R or DL.

I hope it’s that easy, I guess I’m just a skeptic until know for sure. :smiley:

I hope it’s that easy, I guess I’m just a skeptic until know for sure. :smiley:

nods We’ll have to wait and see…