Interesting problems with litefirm and upgrade of lite-on 486s

I have a Lite-on LTN486s cd-rom. I would like to upgrade the firmware from YUS3 to the most recent firmware on the Lite-On website, using the YSOJ.exe windows file.

Problem is, I suspect the cd-Rom is OEM from Dell, because on clicking on the exe file, the error message is “Doesn’t match…”.

The Dell website contains no firmware upgrades for this device. I was thinking about giving it a try in DOS with MTK flash, which I have done before with my lite-on 24102b cd-rw, but first I need to create a bin file. The problem is that Litefirm does not recognise this exe file and can’t work with it.

Any suggestions?
Anyone have a 486s bin file (not oem) available?

thanks, b.

There is an update from Dell for you. Get it from Alexnoe’s archive:
http://www.alexander-noe.de/Firmwares/LiteOn/real_LiteOn/LTN-486/index.html

Thanks for the reply, according to this webpage:

http://support.euro.dell.com/es/en/filelib/download/index.asp?fileid=R48998&sid=&st=3SLSZ11

that file is for the 486, not the 486s.

Whoops, try this.

yeah, that’s the problem. The ysoj.exe firmware update, which is the official lite-on update file, when executed, gives a “doesn’t match hardware” error message.

The Dell update that’s available is only for the 486 (vanilla). I wanted to convert the ysoj.exe to a .bin file and work in DOS, but litefirm doesn’t recognize this file at all.

Anyone have other luck?

thanks, b.

Did you try this one or not? It is not the one from liteonit.com

litefirm is not made to, and doesn’t claim to be able to extract cd-rom firmwares. If the above didn’t work, then back up your current firmware with mtkflash and email it to me and I’ll see if I can get you YS0J

Litefirm extracted CD firmware fine for me.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56285&highlight=litefirm
Are you using litefirm version 2?

Whoops, lol. Thanks BRPR

Tested and working on ys0j.exe. I can send it to you bardos if you can’t figure it out.

By the way, another newer Litefirm is out.
New version is 2.3
http://www.sweb.cz/zdenek.jindra/download/litefirm.exe

Originally posted by dhc014
[B]Did you try this one or not? It is not the one from liteonit.com

litefirm is not made to, and doesn’t claim to be able to extract cd-rom firmwares. If the above didn’t work, then back up your current firmware with mtkflash and email it to me and I’ll see if I can get you YS0J [/B]

Thanks a ton for your efforts. I have downloaded the mod_48sys0J.zip file from your link. I executed the exe and it DOES recognize my LTN 486s. Is this a modified lite-on file to recognize the OEM cd-roms?

Anyway, when I click on the exe file in winxp to do the flash I get the little window with the option to update the firmware. It recognizes my firmware as YUS3, and when I click on the button to update, I get a window that tells me: “Your drive’s firmware is already the most updated!!!. Continue to update??? Yes - No”.

I have not continued past this point for fear of “down”-grading instead of upgrading.

So what’s the meaning here?

thanks so much guys for your responses.

b.

oh yeah, i downloaded the new litefirm file and successfully created a .bin file from the original lite-on website ys0j.exe file. What’s my next move, if any?

b.

Well, that last warning saying that your drive is already the most updated is normal, but it doesn’t necesarily mean that you have the newest firmware. Since U comes after S, the program thinks that your firmware is newest. I really think that you should backup your current firmware using mtkflash before you flash, but after you do that you can go ahead with the windows flasher and go to YS0J

Hi,

I went into DOS and with MTKFlash I extracted the bin file from the LTN-486s cd-rom using:

MTKFLASH 4 R /B /M YUS3.bin

The bin file I got is only 64kb… Is that strange?

The YS0J.bin I extracted with liteform from the exe file is 128kb in size.

b.

When I was in DOS, I also extracted a bin file of the firmware from my Lite-On 24102b burner, which is the latest upgrade: 5S59.

I compared this file with the bin file I made with litefirm of the 5S59 exe file from Lite-On website, (both 256kb) and the Hexidecimal CRC’s are different, as though they were different files.

Any thoughts why this would be so?

As well as why the extracted firmware in .bin file from the 486s is only 64kb…

The extraction of the burner’s firmware took about four passes through all the percentages, 1% up to 100%, the extraction of the cd-rom’s took only one pass. (64kb per pass??)

b.