Interesting New Liteon DVD±RW Drives

vbimport

Given the surge in DVD burner sales, here’s some upcoming Liteon DVD±RW models. Timed just right…?

4X
LDW-411S/412S
LDW-421S/422S
LDW-440D

6X
LDW-611S

8X
LDW-802S
LDW-811S/812S

Interesting, eh…?:wink:

Hmmm, don’t expect any of those too soon, or ever. A lot of those are probably just test models.

Do I recall correctly that ‘S’ designates a single format model, whereas ‘D’ is a dual format model?

I’m really waiting for the first real LiteOn manufactured dual drive that supports both +/- formats out of the box without any additional (unsupported) firmware updates.

regards,
halcyon

Originally posted by Halcyon
[B]Do I recall correctly that ‘S’ designates a single format model, whereas ‘D’ is a dual format model?

I’m really waiting for the first real LiteOn manufactured dual drive that supports both +/- formats out of the box without any additional (unsupported) firmware updates.

regards,
halcyon [/B]

Guessing at release date for the dual format drive: October.

steve, are you somewhere in the distribution channel and able to provide us with some more information? Would be an excellent scoop on the frontpage. Please send me a mail or PM if you are able to give out more information. If not, I’ll understand :wink:

here you can find that NTI already supports them…

(Also intresting NEC DVD+RW ND-2100A", “_NEC DVD+RW ND-5000A”, "_NEC DVD+RW ND-5100A)

Meh… NTI has a lot of drives on that list that don’t even exist. Karr had never even heard of them before.

Originally posted by Halcyon
[B]Do I recall correctly that ‘S’ designates a single format model, whereas ‘D’ is a dual format model?

[/B]

According to Karr the letter indicates what PUH the drive has, i.e. “S” = Sanyo. I don’t know what the “D” could stand for but the LDW-400D is a rebadged Sony (does anyone know what PUHs they use?).

If Lite-On doesn’t get the DVD-R/RW format to work satisfactory soon they might not release a DVD±R/RW version of LDW-401S at all and instead goes for the 8x models next.

As dhc014 wrote many of the listed models names are test models that will never be released. A 6x model looks for example weird and if the 440D is a rebadged Sony I doubt Lite-On will release it now.

It is true that Karr did say that the S did not stand for single format, but I’d like to think that they would continue that naming scheme. I feel that at the time that Karr wrote that Lite-ON was still hoping to not have to come out with a DVD+R/RW only drive initially, rather hit the market right away with their own Dual format drive. Now that they’re starting off with a single format drive they might as well release the dual format drive as a LDW-401D… The Dual format sony ended with a D afterall…

I have the LDW-440D. It kicks ass, does all formats available reliably.

Originally posted by stingx
I have the LDW-440D. It kicks ass, does all formats available reliably.

You do know that it is a rebadged Sony DRU-510A, don’t you?

How do you know that that is a Sony drive ? Is there a link I can do firmware upgrades ( the drive is not listed at Liteon’s site ).
I bought it for $ 104, but does not see BASF ( EMTEC ) dvd-r’s. I need to know if there is a compatibility list somewhere, so I know which media to buy. Thank you.

Hi. You can ask over in the Firmware subsection here or @ forum.rpc1.org for the 440D -> 510A converter, which will allow you to use the standard 510A firmware updates. As for the media compatiblity, check around in the DVD-Media tests forum.

Greets all,

Was looking over this page:

http://www.kitsapcomputers.com/lvd05.htm

and realized that any liteon DVD 5.25" pc drive could be placed in the liteon DVD deck lvd-2001… as could a Huge HDD in place of the pccard-reader. Any suggestions or ideas how to most intelligently choose a DVD-R/RW drive to put in there instead or a better drive than the LTD-163?

I was also going to try a webasdisk/2 (IDE to IP) adapter, like was done with the sampo 631CF (on area450.com), on this liteon lvd-2001 as well so I could hopefully stream video (wirelessly with a wireless bridge) to the lvd-2001 unit from my pc.

Anyone done this stuff? Any better drives than the LTD-163? Better firmware/firmware suggestions like the OFFA FW?

thx… -jmirabil